MTB Thread 2010

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Willber Forum Member

I have a Thule 9103/4 which is a rear hatch mounted bike rack. It will carry 3 bikes and is extremely sturdy, it's the only one I would use to be honest. It has two clamps which lock down and tension the wire rope to hold it onto the car, no faffing about with canvas straps etc! It's worth paying the premium over a halfords special in my opinion.

On a different note - does anyone know much about the Specialized Pitch? I am looking at getting one to replace my Trek Session 7.

Cheers

2. gtijon Forum Member

I've found the strap type racks can slacken off, particularly if you drive quickly. I'd go for towbar mount if I needed a rack and had the cash.

I'd avoid roof mount, just because I've seen too many pictures where people have forgotten the bikes are on top :lol:

I know very little about the pitch, but having seen Spesh's videos on youtube where they have bikes rigged to telemetry and the like, I'd be surprised if anyone can beat them for R&D.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  3. PeeJay Forum Junkie

They're really good bikes, bit more of an allrounder than your Session.

Two guys in my group ride them and there's not that much of a noticable difference to the guys in the group with the higher-end enduro's and Nomads which is saying somthing given the price difference!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. Willber Forum Member

I am after something a bit less hardcore than the Session, more of an all rounder or 'all mountain' as they now call it. One my pals has a Nomad and it looks awesome, he said that the Enduro is very similar but also that the Pitch is a cheaper version of the Enduro really.

I rode Gisburn forest yesterday on the Session and it's just too short cockpit length (it's a 17.5") and weighs a tonne - 42lbs I think from memory. Too much to be lugging round trail centres anyway, and it has too much travel even on full pedal efficiency settings.

What do you mean by difference from the Pitch and Enduro/Nomad?

5. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Sorry, just poorly typed, there's not much difference at all.

I've got an 2006 Enduro (the last of the good ones IMHO) and it rides very much like the boys Pitch's, I think Spesh released the Pitch when the Enduro went 'SL' and less of a great descender.

Apart from a bit of adjustability and a smattering of Fox stickers they ride the same.

6. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

Hi all, is anyone interested in the afan monster, its a 100km or 75 if you wish to do the short run, cycle through afan forest and the valleys, in aid of Macmillian cancer care. Its on Saturday 25th September, entry is 25 and minimum sponsorship of 25.
    See you there

7. gtijon Forum Member

7.5km? Count me in :lol:

8. Willber Forum Member

Thanks for the advice guys, been phoning a few places and it seems that all 2010 Pitches and Enduro's are sold out. Will have to wait for September/October for 2011 bikes although by that time I shall have the funds together hopefully.

9. PeeJay Forum Junkie

My local Spesh place seems to have some Pitchs left if you want one now, the 2011 will more expensive and/or lower spec (AGAIN [:x][:x])

10. Willber Forum Member

Exactly, i'd rather scour eBay or pick up a 2010 bargain to be honest. Specialized are crap for running out of stock! What's your local place I will give them a ring?

11. PeeJay Forum Junkie

www.teamskene.com

Website above, they're pretty good. I've had some issues with them I'd have to say (or one guy in particular) but they've been great on balance to me and my mates.

12. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

I got my girl a Spesh Hotrock this morning which is the 2011 version so they must all be out by now?

Thanks for the notes on the racks, when I was buying the girls bike I asked the question in the shop and they said the same about roof mount - forgetful people!! Also for a rack and clamps for 3 bikes from Thule I am looking at around 370.

The towbar one for 3 bikes is around 90 i think but I need a towbar first!!

13. JWYATT Forum Member

Sinse i got my car/liesense , i've not been on the bike , i used to be addicted to them but with a VR6 swap on the table now , its came up in my mind to part with my bike but i couldnt do that as once in a blue moon im out on it and remember how sweet psuh bikes are ,

This is my ride , only photo but its up to date as i fitted Sram XO mech and shifter plus e-13 LG1 and crank brothers headset ,

[​IMG]

Joe

14. Willber Forum Member

Cheers Peejay, will give them a bell tomorrow, sounds promising if they still have stock though, I hope they have a Large!

Don't think the 2011 Full sus are out yet, defo not the long travel ones anyway. I think theyre due end Sept or early Oct.

15. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

I love MTB'ing.

Just invested in a Merida Matts40D

[​IMG]

16. Willber Forum Member

Hi Peejay,

I've been in touch with these guys and spoken to a guy called Ben. He talked me through which Specialized they have in stock, they just had a delivery of ex-demo bikes.

Do you have any idea of when you might be visiting the shop next? They have a 2010 Enduro Expert in Large which I am interested in and wondered if you might be able to check it over for me in person. Ben has sent me some pics and the bike looks great but obviously without travelling 230 miles and 4 hours I can't tell for sure!

Cheers

Will.

17. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I'll be in at some point this weekend, I'll have a butchers.

When they say "just had a delivery" what they mean is all the staff bikes have been returned to be swaped for 2011's but my mate bought a demo bike from them and it was fine. The ex-team skeene DH bikes however are another matter...

18. Willber Forum Member

Haha I can imagine! Yeah if you could have a look that would be great - it looks ok from pics but i'm worried about if it's been jetwashed every week etc.

They offered me it at 2100

19. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Popped into Don's today on the way home and checked out the Enduro. I assume it's this one?

Anyway apart from the normal wear on the pedal arms (which is slight) it's as new! Had a play with the seat post and the rear barings and it's all as it should be. Even the casset looks good as new.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Didn't see anything I fancied though...

I've have another good at a Lapeair Spicy 316 next week, I can feel a touch of the olde 0% finance coming on

[​IMG]