MTB Thread 2010

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PeeJay, Mar 17, 2010.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Pics?

I collect my Hardrock Pro this evening...:)

2. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

My new purchase...

(Boardman Pro MTB)

[​IMG]
    Shameful photo of it indoors...lets hope I actually get out on this. Selling my 2006 kona kula on ebay at the moment and am just thinking now....was that the better bike!? All the components on the kula look and feel much better quality.

3. altern8 Forum Junkie

heres my new one thought I might as well post it here too its a Mongoose Tecali comp 2008 model my first full suspension bike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Glentress centre

Had a few days at Glentress 7stanes MTB centre near peebles, would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in mountain biking.

There is a skills loop, family green trail, blue, red & black trails, something for everyone.

One word of advice - don't stay in the Cross Keys Hotel in Peebles as it's a total unclean 5hit-h0le.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

6. Admin Guest

7. Willber Forum Member

Just sold my year 2000 Enduro Pro and currently have a Trek Session 7 and a Boardman road bike.

Thinking of selling the Session and getting a 2010 Enduro Comp as a do it all bike. If I can stretch to it I would like a Santa Cruz Nomad.

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

ok, my dads Kona has been knackered a while now, i've been picking him up from work so forgot about it.
    busted the rear derailleur, but someone has removed it and binned it so I can't try and find a replacement.
    need to know, can I fit any rear derailleur? or does it need to match up with the rest of the drivetrain?

2004 kona lana'i, 21 gears, shimano 42t front derailleur, 7 ring cassette on back.

just after something cheap as it's only a commute bike...

9. Admin Guest

any 7spd will do.

10. WEZ

cool, the Shimano Deore M592 looks suitable and cheap enough

11. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Shimano shifters right? SRAM and Shimano shifters/derailers don't mix as a rule.

12. WEZ

they're linked by a cable, how could they not mix?

13. PeeJay Forum Junkie

They pull different lengths of cable. SRAM pulls twice as much a Shimano, or is it the other way around, I can never remember. But as a rule that's why Shimano stuff is lovely and smooth but goes to **** if it gets all clogged up with Mud, SRAM stuff works in any conditions but if stiffer / clunkier to use.

Of course this only matters if you're use a indexed system, I.E. anyting made in the last 5-6 years.

14. gtijon Forum Member

To muddy things further, you can mix and match any SRAM and Shimano on the front derailleur!

SRAM do make some Shimano compatible shifters too, but they're not common.

Shimano is 2:1 ratio, SRAM is 1:1.

15. WEZ

balls, will have to be the sram x3 then, which looks and is, really cheap!

16. PeeJay Forum Junkie

True. I've run X9 shifters and a XT front mech for years.

The SRAMm, shimano compatible shifters a truely ****. They called 'raid' or something and based on X5's from about 5 years ago. It's almost like they want Shimano stuff to work really badly ha ha.

17. PeeJay Forum Junkie

You can use any Sram Derailer you like, the shifter dictates how many gears it shifts.

You'd be wasting your money on fancy carbon XX's or X0's even X9 is a little posh for your application. But a nice X7 will work really nicely.

18. gtijon Forum Member

TBH if it's 7 speed, a rear mech made of chewing gum and lolly sticks would probably be alright.

19. jettadan Forum Member

Been really pleased with my Cube and had no problems at all so far. Just changed the pedals for V8's which has made a massive difference and combined with some decent Gore MTB gloves which have loads of grip, i can really chuck it around now :thumbup:

20. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

Bike carriers

I have my trusty A6 avant which can hold 2 adult MTB's and all the gear for a days biking with the back seats folded down.

My 8yr old is away to get a proper mtb for her birthday today so to get 3 bikes, a girl and us 2 in the A6 isn't going to work.

Do any of you have a roof mounted rack or a rack that goes onto the back of the car and do you trust it?

They obviously work fine as everybody has them but I'd hate my bike to come flying off the back on the motorway!