My HND Motorsport Project Car...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Yoof, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Brilliant mate !

2. luminosa Forum Member

nice job so far...... hope you can get it finished in time[:D]

i asked bruce what he thought, he reckons you'll probably struggle to get it done by june[:^(] but then bruce says that about all the projects going on:lol:

can you work on the car during halfterm??? i saw some people down in the workshop on tuesday... mayb it was you

3. paulshears New Member

4. Yoof Forum Member

Cage parts arrived today [:D] [:D] [:D] Which was good, i've got to tweak the main section abit and sleeve it as its too wide by about 40mm (my dodgy measuring) But the a-pillars fit nice and tight.

The seat was proving to be hard to get a decent pedal position and give me enough room around me and for the cage. I decided to mount the seat on the floor (plated) and am going to move the pedals back by about 3", this should give me a very nice driving position, with my weight low, and slap bang in the middle of the car, because i'm the single heaviest thing in the car, this is important (and often overlooked)

So, the cage main hoop is now being mounted on the front of the back bench platform.... *it's too thin i hear you cry!!* ahh ha! its actually thicker than the floor!! and i've used 10gauge steel for paltes, total thickness is about 6mm over a 170mm square plate section.... :p

I made the front box section which i've just tacked to the sill, i'll then plate the floor and weld everything in next week.

The seats annoyed me as i made seat rails but then had to chop them out which wasted about an hour :angry:

So, here's a few little pics, sorry for the bad quality, my phone had the hump:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yoof

5. Phil

Phil Forum Member

This is a great read. [:D]

6. Briankl Forum Member

One piece of advice - I've learned the hard way...
    When you make the final measurement/test sit for the seat - try NOT to wear big heavy boots. I drive in driving shoes, and test fitting seats with my steel toe shoes has made me move my seat around quite a bit until I discovered that it was the shoes that was the reason.

7. Yoof Forum Member

Cheers for the advice brian, if you look carefully in the pic i'm wearing some trainers (not my decent ones :p :lol: ) as with boots on i mash at least two pedals at once [xx(]

Cheers

Pete

8. Yoof Forum Member

Sorry for the lack of updates recently, i've been busy with college work, here's progress so far:

Been stripping and painting all my brakes and steering bits today, brakes are 256mm GM set-up, and 16v mk2 rear discs (on lookout for some cheap mk4 golf rear calipers)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And PSD intercooler:

[​IMG]

9. Yoof Forum Member

Light weight panels also started to arrive from germany :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm surprised at the finish of it to be honest, all it needs it a little very thin skim of filler in one corner, but i don't think i'll bother to be honest.

The last picture shows it lined up over the stock bonnet, all the edges are perfectly in line.

Overall i'd give it 9/10, the original bonnet vents have been taped up (i'm not bothered about that) but would have been nice to have them)

10. Yoof Forum Member

And i finally started to make the cage from scratch.

Reeto, today I got the main hoop in, took 4 hours to re-heat all the bends, tweak them round, cut both legs (and chamfer them), cut the middle and make a new centre section so its strong, oh and finished welding the rear floor plates in, floor is 2-3mm thick, and i got good penetration (too good in one area, went through a touch-whoops) but i might still plate underneath, we'll see how it goes.

Rear discs, front discs and wheel bearings arrived today, pushing hard to get the car rolling for two weeks when i can take it down to Littlehampton and get it painted up (thumbs)

Here's the pics from today:

will get some pics of my fresh tcas and rear axle up later...

Yoof

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Kozy Forum Member

Don't suppose you fancy giving me any money those rear brakes do you Pete? :)

12. Yoof Forum Member

Brake bits arrived today, got new bleed nipples, and new discs all round, new rear wheel bearings, finished putting nylon bushes in the axle and tcas, and put a final coat of paint on the intercooler:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Car Cover for it once it's painted (and when its outside in a few weeks)

[​IMG]

New brakes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear axle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

G40 Tca + nylon bushes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The room of 'bits' GRP arches and fresh wings in the back right corner, nestling alongside the new bonnet, lightened door infront.

[​IMG]

WIllans harness, radiator from a C25 van, t25/28 hybrid and downpipe, and a 16v head lurking somewhere...

[​IMG]

All for now

Yoof

Dan- could prob sort you out 10 for your troubles [:$]

13. Dub20vt Forum Member

awesome project.. seems to really be gathering pace in the build... can't wait to see more updates :)

14. 16valver Forum Member

Good work, should be some beast when finished!

15. Collie Forum Junkie

what engine will this polo be using?

16. Yoof Forum Member

Cheers for comments, it will be a mis-match of polo small block engines and custom parts to make a 1.5 16v turbo motor, aiming for 230-250bhp without too much lag, and hopefully traction throughout second once wishbones and a subframe are fabricated (along with a diff- possibly sadev 6 speed box)

17. 13"rims Forum Member

Is it a g40 16V?? oops ya beat me to it! nice!!!

18. Yoof Forum Member

Nothing g40 about the engine at all :lol: ;)

19. Collie Forum Junkie

massive power to weight ratio then. hope youve got some big wide tyres, and even bigger balls.

20. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

I have one of those halfrauds car covers and they're sh+t mate. Mines not water proof anymore. It didn't even last one winter.