My Lhd Mk1 going TFSI.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by murph81, Feb 10, 2012.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah that sounds like the drier, you'll need it

2. murph81 Forum Member

Not much of an update but I have two weeks off in January and plan on getting stuck into this again.

I have gathered some more bits and pieces and still have some more to get.

An 02J gearbox came up for sale with a new Peloquin diff that hasn't been used since it was built caught my eye so I couldn't turn it down, its an EHA code box from an Octavia VRS, longest ratio 5 speed box to be fitted to a 1.8T engine car.

I was hoping to swap the diff into my NOS 02J DSF (very long ratio Caddy 9K) box but either the diff or crownwheel would have to be machined for it to fit.

It turns out that its an 02J-B diff that will also fit an 02S so I will be going this route as long as I can get a box for reasonable money.

I got a Group Buy going on the Mk5GolfGti.co.uk Forum for uprated Loba high pressure fuels pumps so I will have one of those on the way in the new year, the GB is on until the end of January for anyone else who maybe interested. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,91799.0.html

I've bought a set of Estorils to go on while I refurb the RS's just have to collect them and fit some tyres.

A 42 Draft Designs stealth oil catch can has been sourced also, just have to get some AN-10 fittings welded on to match the rest, I also got an oil pressure switch relocation block from them, handy piece of kit that will allow me to fit the Mk1 dash light pressure switch and a gauge sender for VDO's in the future.

I picked up a turbo outlet flange for the K04, not sure if it will do much, its replaces the silencer on the old flange and is supposed to flow better as a result.

My K-Bar also arrived, not sure if I will use it or not yet, obviously it will have to be modified to fit with the bigger gearbox and exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jamesa likes this.
  3. murph81 Forum Member

The two weeks off in January didn't see much progress due to the weather, all work is carried out under a lean to around the side of the house and theres not much shelter.

I have fitted a new LOBA HPFP, R8 coils and the oil pressure switch relocation kit.

Picked up some more downpipe parts including a shorter flexi section and a 3 inch V-band clamp for Chris Tullett Exhausts.

I have sent the QPENG kit back to have the ECU modified so I can use a 1.8T style pedal instead of a MK5 type, this saves modding the floor and cutting the carpet, the map will also be changed for the new fuel pump, thanks to Ronan for pointing this out!

Currently trying to track down my neighbour to weld the downpipe.

4. murph81 Forum Member

Not much progress here as usual, picked up an 02S 6 speed gearbox for it today, its an FYG code from a TDI.

Just have to transfer my Peloquin diff and 02J bellhousing over and I'll fit some new bearings and possibly synchros while I'm at it.

5. murph81 Forum Member

Started back at this after a bit of a break, got the 3 inch downpipe made up yesterday, almost finished but ran out of gas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went a bit overkill with all the parts but I didn't want to be short anything, the downpipe connects into the 2.5 2 box Powersprint system with a good stepped v -band clamp.

I might bin the middle box at a later date and replace with 3 inch pipe but that's a bit down the road yet.

Just a few welds to finish off and mount the lambda probe boss.

vw_singh and fasteddie like this.
  6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Nice!

Any reason not to just go 3" with the whole system?

7. murph81 Forum Member

Maybe at a later date once it's running and driving, might be tight going over the axle though?

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Well neat that is for sure!

9. sports racer Forum Member

Did you ever get around to fitting a radiator that gives you more clearance?

One from a 91 Holden Barina fits very nicely under the slam panel.

10. murph81 Forum Member

Thanks but I'm not sure what it would be like sourcing one over here.

The plan was to have a custom rad and intercooler side by side, I think it will suit the TFSI engine with the awkward throttle body location.