My matt black Mk2 - Vid from trackday at Llandow

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by luke w, Dec 18, 2005.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

For the first time since the trackday at Donny I paid a bit of attention to the Mk2. I've not done much, just starting stripping the rest of the interior. I've taken out the front section of the carpet and the sound deadening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just that little lot alone weighed 13kg. There's still the tar crap to scrap off as well if I can be bothered.

Here's a quick photo of my new engine a few bits. It's a 1H Rallye engine which will run a T3 turbo on a Turbo Technics manifold.

[​IMG]

Just need a 02A gearbox and then it's ready to go in, hopefully in time for this years round of trackdays.

2. sam-ski Forum Member

oooh updates :)

how much power you thinking of from the setup above?

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Well the bloke I bought the manifold and turbo from had it on a G60 engine running 252bhp apparently.

I'm aiming to run 1 bar (15psi) boost on what will be a standard engine, bar uprated injectors, so anywhere between 220-250 bhp and similar torque and I'll be happy.

4. sam-ski Forum Member

mmm sounds nice :)
    still getting rid of your old engine? or keeping as a spare?

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Yeah the current engine and box will be sold, I'll be converting to a cable change box and fuel injection, etc, so it would be no good as a spare.

6. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

This weekend I continued with the stripping of the interior. First to go was the headlining, relatively straight forward to get out, especially as I'm not keeping it. I then removed the foam/spongy stuff under the headlining, the middle bit was really easy to remove with the heat gun, the other two parts were a pain in the ****, they must have used a different type of glue and took for ever to try and scrape off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also started to remove the tar sound deadening stuff from under the seats and footwells, only managed the area under the passenger seat before having enough and calling it a day. I'm hoping to remove the rest of the stuff over the next few nights and at weekend and then have a few days off next week to prep and spray the interior up ready for Spring GTI Festival at Santa Pod, where I'll be running the car one last time with the 1.8 carb engine.

7. nealey Forum Junkie

Are you going to strip the wax from the footwells and centre console as well?

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

That's the plan, just a bloody tedious task so only managed to do a small bit before giving up for the day. I'm planning to do it bit by bit over the next week or so.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Good stuff Luke. Its easier having someone to soften the bitumen while you scrape. My fiancee played a massive part in stripping mine out. Couldnt have done it as fast without her.

Stick at it, there is lots there to remove. Ive still gotta get some really nasty stuff off and also off the front of the rear turrets. It all weighs a hell of a lot though, the bag i put all the scrapings in weighed a good 5-10kg.

10. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

lookin great! dont know how you can put up with doing trackdays with wonky pedals lol.

Turbo time!! then! great!

11. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Seeing as it is now insured for the next 2 weeks I decided to drive it to work today. It felt so good to drive it again, even after all that time it's been sat there it only need a jump start, not bad seeing as the last time I drove it was giving it death around Donny in November. It did feel a bit weird though after 5 months of driving the Corrado, especially as there is only one seat in it at the moment and the inside is a mess.

Thanks mate. I did find that on the straight flat bits I could just have the hot air gun in one hand and the scrapper following along and it came off a lot easier and cleaner, but I don't think I'll be able to pursuade anyone to help me with this job.

As far as I can tell I only have the tar stuff around the footwells and front seats, maybe because it was a poverty spec 1.3 originally.

So far with the stuff I've taken out recently it's over 20kg, with hopefully another 5ish left. I really want to get it on a weigh bridge when it's done to see what it weighs. I'm hoping for sub 950kg with me in it plus all fluids. When I get round to fitting a roll cage and the new engine that'll go up, but hopefully I can offset that as much as possible with lightweight panels and plastic windows later.

Cheers. The wonkey pedal was from getting the carpet and sound deadening out, straightened out now.

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Where was the cage that you've found for us to put in? I wanted to have a look to see if I need to weld any plates or brackets 'cause I can get these cut out before hand, if you need help scraping the crap off then let me know, I'm sure there's gonna be a job on mine that i'll need a hand with oh and mines's all mot'd now :thumbup: just tax and insurance to get.

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Looking good luke, to get various tar sheets off my car I used a wire brush attachment on a angle grinder then hovered up the mess it made, id got fed up of scrapping as the entire rear of my car/spare wheel well has also been covered in the black tar stuff[xx(]

Keep us posted on the engine as Im also doing a G60 turbo using a cossie T3, doubt ill find a TurboTechnics manifold so Im going to make one and make a custom intake aswell. Iv got a good valver lump in my track car atm so im in no great rush.

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I have it all over suspension turrets, rear wheel well, rear footwells, front footwells and under dash. Nasty stuff. Luckily though, SEAT didnt apply and soundproofing to the inside of the roof.

15. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

This one is what I'm looking at. It's not that much more than a bolt in 6 point cage, but obviously will need a lot more work to get it fitted, that's if your happy to do the work. I won't be able to afford it for ages yet, probably be a winter project.

I might take you up on the offer at the weekend, I'll see how much I do over the next couple of nights. Ideally I want it all scrapped off and cleaned for next week, I'm taking next Thursday and Friday off to prep it and spray it up.

Thanks mate :thumbup:

I was really lucky with finding the Turbo Technics manifold and turbo. I won't tell you what I paid for it, let's just say I would struggle to find a T3 off a cossie for what I paid for both. If you need any pictures or dimensions for the manifold or anything give me a shout. Another person to speak to is VR6T off here. He's done a G60 turbo Mk3 and has given me loads of advice, especially with the rear engine mount which needs modifying. He emailed me loads of pictures of various parts, I can forward them to you if you want.

I might go round the interior with the hot air gun and scrapper testing out various areas to if it's anywhere else.

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Iv had a good look a VR6T thread and I did learn alot, im hoping to try and move the turbo to the right hand side of the engine and use a custom made intake.... I got a good deal on two G60 engines and a box, should make one good one out of them, no chargers or loom thou.

I might want those pics off you soon, thou nothings happening fast, and I will most likely rebuild the block first.

17. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I haven't actually bolted the manifold and turbo to the engine yet so I'm a little unsure how it all sits, but as it was made for rhd cars I'm hoping it all squeezes in. It's still going to be very tight around that area though.

Were the 2 engines off ebay, one with fire damage?

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

yep, as im in bristol they seemed like a good buy[:[], prob just fix the raddo engine bottom end if it isnt too bad, need to get a mk4 golf shifter tower and some suitable cables for the gearbox aswell. Its just the loom that im stressing about, cant see why I couldnt make one with a simple fuse/relay board. If it looks like its beond me and I need $$$ Im sure I can get my money back on everything.....?

19. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Was bidding on them myself, just for the gearbox, then I was going to flog the rest. If you manage to make one decent engine out of them, plus the gearbox, then you've got yourself a bargin. The cam covers alone make decent money cleaned up.

I've got a loom out of a Rallye, all labelled up. If you need any info on it just give me a shout, I wouldn't have thought the Rallye and G60 Golf looms would vary much. The only problem I can see is that it came out of a lhd drive car, so don't know if all reach where is should do.

20. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I thought it was a bargain but didnt really do my research before bidding, I was after another 16v to rebuild and use bike bodies + megasquirt then drop my current 16v into my cabrio, might just end up with two charged 8v's now... my current 16v runs 165bhp so will hopefully sell on the bay for more than the G60's cost me:thumbup:

Didnt VR6T have a LHD loom aswell? think he only had to extend a few wires to reach the fuse box. I will definatly be asking you for help with the loom, theres a few G60 rados being broken but most wont split the loom from the engine[8(]