My Mk2 sprint & Hill climb car resto, Vids & pics now up

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by VR6T, Nov 7, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've not heard of a Jude but assume that's not a 1.8 K-Series or a 2.0 diesel block? If so then it sounds like there's no MSA rules being observed at all! Serious output @ 270

2. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, Judd aka formerly VW's UK F3 prep outfit... no wonder it's fast! A very curious car - I only remember the Super 1600 Gwyndaf version, though I've a catalogue knocking around somewhere.

I think he is ok, as it looks like a K-Series bored to 2.0, ie a 1.8 production block? Provided he sticks within the capacity bracket he starts with (1.8 being within the >1.6 to <2.0), he's ok. Not an ideal (ex-works) car to have in grass roots clubman motorsport but absolutely nothing to stop him and, particularly being at the sharp end, he is likely to have been through the questions mill before now. Road Going is a total misnomer really, inferring standard(ish) but actually allowing Touring Car engine scope. I don't know why it isn't restricted to make it more appealing, as it's just a hotbed of superficially concealed expenditure, so unnattractive to newcomers.

Suggest having some USA 2.0 16v production info to hand should any questions arise.

4. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Yes and an engine rebuild at Judd is far more expensive than my whole car at 5500 ....

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  5. Andy947 Forum Addict

Very nice, now get it rolled out of the garage and get the Rallye in there!!!

Still needing a headlining?

6. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

LOL..

Well i am just in from putting fluids in it and cranking up some oil pressure.

A couple off pumps on the throttle and away she went..:thumbup:

The Rallye will be coming home soon:thumbup:

Yes please if you have one spare it would tidy up the interior no end, the current lining is held up with black duct tape[:$]

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

A previous conversation with the championship scrutineer saw no issues using the 9A block in the road class but did suggest sourcing (as you have) some relevant paperwork ... just in case it gets wet Dave ;)

My investigations with VW UK came to nothing so I left it there, perhaps VW USA ?

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This should probably help:

Ian Kuah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SA reference I think is to the so called 'Spitze' engine.

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks ...

10. Willber Forum Member

I think this is one of my favourite threads on here. Some great pictures of the repairs to rear arches too, a big help for when I tackel mine tomorrow.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

The 2.0 diesel block is much the same as the 2.0 16v T-series block that went in the Tomcat Turbos and some of the saloons.

Both based on the old B series block converted to OHC.

12. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Cheers :thumbup:

13. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Know a man in the USA who my help here so fingers crossed..

14. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Good info Chris :thumbup:

15. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  16. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

First event of the season last weekend at Doune Hill Climb, new engine and new Hill!!
    Couple of photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Looks very good

18. Admin Guest

The car looks great, when you say full trim how do you fit the rear bench in with the cage? and what about the parcel shelf etc?

How do you then mount the rear harness? what points do you use, does the bench get in the way?

Sorry for all the questions I interested in Sprints and hillclimbs and wonder how you have done it.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The rear seats can be canted forward or just left vertical and eye bolts screwed into the existing seat belt anchor points in the backrest/base crevice. It all depends on how the cage impedes space.

Quite common to see in production classes, Group N rallying of the past and indeed Slick 50 back in the day. Mr hillclimber has the same in his Mk1

Ref sprinting, a key issue is engine heads & blocks Tom, mentioned on the previous page. You might be able to enter with an ABF, but it's not a Mk2 Golf legal head or block in Production, or legal block in Mod Prod (heads ~free), and technically it puts you in Sports Libre with the Radicals! Organisers do strike a careful balance between participant numbers and operating to the rules though, so you'd have to do it knowing if you started encroaching on the regulars, the car would need to be made to comply - or be reclassified. Shame, as I'm sure many VW track dayers/modifers wouldn't mind a few sprint outings to add to the general variety of what we do. The only other way - the Scimitar owners do it for eg - is to set up a VW sprint concept, with supplementary regulations that allow for common VW modding, ABFs, 1.8Ts etc. Nice idea, but the reality of it would involve a whole heap of organisation work and MSA compliance!

Bit OT, probably one for a separate thread!

20. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

I will post up some photos of the interior for you. Harness fitted as specified in the Blue book, there is a bar across the rear turrets which holds the harness.