My new Oil Cooler Kit (FINAL PICS PAGE 3)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by richgit, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

The oil will get hot - it will get to at least 80 degrees. And from my experience with the same size cooler it will sit around 90-100.. And thats in a far less tuned car than Rich's. I wouldn't be suprised if Rich still saw 120 degree oil temps.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mine takes longer to warm up then settles at about 85, when i rag it it goes to about 95/100.

I'm using screw on myself (i think mine cost a bit more than what rich quoted):

[​IMG]

The way my car is tuned now its great when its hot but i have to give it extra gas to keep it ticking over whenengine iswarming up [:$].

EDIT:I had no problems just like tub said with it running too cold, just made sure i let it warm up first before ragging it, just means a few more minutes on the way to work before its at normal temps & no i didn't have to cover it over for winter, in fact I'm glad the thing is finally lower in temps as my 2.1 always seemed to run hotter.

EDIT2: I'll check with TSR tomorrow to see what temp stat I'm running rich as mine is fine.
    Edited by: fthaimike

3. richgit Forum Junkie

Cool guys :)

Will be connecting up the thermostat tomorrow, but i had a bit of a fiddle and came up with this for the oil cooler, it didnt even need bumper modifying, although i am going to open up the slats on the right hand side when i can be arsed...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[:D]

4. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

great mounting place rich :clap: [:D]

neil.

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

looking good!

tim

6. Rallye Forum Junkie

cool, litterally

7. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

mmmm. but not too cool eh!

tim

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

I just checked & was told there would probably be a 80-85'' one in my sandwich plate that came with the 19row mocal, so what one is in yours tub's as i though you need at least 80' for engine torun healthy?

Mine sits at about 70/80 in normal running & goes to about 95/100 when ragging it, only time it gets higher is if i run it in a lower gear for prolonged times.

Edited by: fthaimike

9. jjarvis Forum Junkie

10. Admin Guest

now that does look nice!

11. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Mike, mines not got the thermo in the plate - i'm still using the VW one to control that.

Rich, thats the same as i mounted mine, although i used stainless bar, washers and nuts. I also put washers and nuts on the inside to stop the plates mounting flaps squashing together.

12. VR6Will Forum Member

looks good Rich, [:D]

[​IMG]

13. richgit Forum Junkie

Just a quick question, my piping is fairly long going to the oil cooler... about a meter each one. Is the standard oil pump on the 20vt powerful enough to cope with pumping around the oil this much further?

The cooler is getting nice and warm now, with no leaks. Ill post up pics this evening of how i ran the thermoplate and hoses. I know the oils being pumped around, but with this extra route would the rate of flow be hindered, or would it be as strong as before?

Just dont want oil to be creeping slowly through that turbo when it needs to be nice and fast :)

14. Golden Forum Junkie

Do you not have a pressure gauage Rich?

15. The Pig Forum Member

The length of the cooler pipes will make negligible difference as the flow rate of oil around the system is actually relatively low.

Bear in mind that some rear and mid engined cars have an oil cooler at the front.......

16. prof Forum Addict

911s run front oil cooler and rear engine

17. richgit Forum Junkie

This is how i routed my pipes, couldnt have them coming out of the right hand side of the oil filter, because the engine mount was in the way of the two outlets on the thermoplate:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. VR6Will Forum Member

carefull with those pipes near the rad rich, mine were just touching the fan cowling, and tonight whilst driving rubbed through the pipe (only driven about 800miles with the cooler) gave v.low oil pressure, luckily i switched the engine off straight away so hopefully no damage there, braided hoses are being ordered tomorrow!
    Edited by: oakgreen88

19. KidKoala Forum Member

20. richgit Forum Junkie

Feck oakgreen :o

did the oil virtually all come out then?

Those pics show when i lifted the pipes up slightly, they actually compeletely clear the rad and any sharp edges. Nice long curves round corners too.

Im going to have to install those gauges i have. Where does your pressure sender and oil temp sender connect to?