New engine advice

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by afbiker02, Sep 9, 2011.

1. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I have been thinking about what engine I want to put in my mk2 for awhile now. I love my k-jet 8 valve and would like to keep my golf an 8 valve so I was thinking about a g60 but how would it be for a daliy driven car? The other option I have been looking at(danster and daved will kill me) is a 16 valve ABF. I wouldn't mind a 20 valve turbo but I think the cost would be too much. TDI is another option but I would really like to keep my golf petrol. I guess I would always put a 2.0 bottom end with my current head as that would probably be the easiest option. So come on let me hear what everyone thinks:thumbup:

2. SKI

ski Forum Member

16v g60? lol

there pretty costly though g60's in general, and if your using it for track i think the charger will need re-building a lot.
    you couls probably pick up a whole mk4 20vt for a similar price then swap everything?

2.0l bottem end been your cheapest option for sure.

If its for a daily tdi all the way good power and mpg.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

weeeell, what do you want out of it? quick easy swap for a bit more torque, or something involved with mega power, or something thats got a bit more power and a bit more torque?

I've had 1.8 8v, 1.8 16v 2.0 8v and 2.0 16v in my mk2, and i rate them in that order of awesomeness.

the 2.0 8v is almost as good as a std abf if im honest most of the time, its just the abf keeps on pulling, and pulling, and pulling some more when the 2.0 8v runs out of puff. its still a worthwhile swap though because its so damn cheap and easy! no-one wants 2.0 8v anymore everyone is going for the abf, so the blocks are getting well cheap. I got mine for 40 :thumbup:

all you'll need is a 2.0 8v head gasket and belt, plus some service bits n gaskets, a tsr dizzy adaptor and you'll be away. try to get the complete block with the alternator setup on it if you can tho, mk3 stuff is way better than mk2. some of the mk3 coolant pipes worth keeping too, main thing is the metal water pipe is nicer than mk2 as it goes above the oil filter rather than below it!

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I guess it depends on budget. As above the 2L bottom end is the cheapest mod you could do similar to my setup. Also I thing you would get better gains than me as you are on kjet so its more tweakable. Bottom end can be had very cheap (50ish) I wanted to go G60 but everything is just too expensive and the charger is a weak point on them. Running a g60 on a daily basis shouldnt be an issue, biggest concern would be charger wear.

5. afbiker02

Cheers guys. I do like the idea of a 2.0L 8 valve but I'm just worried that I'll get it in and want more power. The worry for me about the G60 is the charger and wear. How offten do they need to be rebuilt? Is it possible to do it my self or would it need to be sent off?

6. SKI

ski Forum Member

[:s]I think it depends what pulley you run iirc vw stock figure is 60k and 30k with smallest pulley.

I do however remeber reading that on a rallye which was group A rally spec the charger had to re-built after every race [:s].
    the best guy could get them to last a day or something in racing.

I think you can do it yourself its not to hard, there is a guide somewhere, the parts still cost a bit mind.

7. afbiker02

A day:o I don't think I'd be driving that hard[:$]:lol:

If it was every 30k I think I would have to have 2 chargers so my car wouldn't be off the road for long during rebuilds as I drive 50 miles a day[xx(]

8. SKI

ski Forum Member

:lol: fair enough,

Yeah i guess you would and they aint cheap [8(]

A second hand one would probably be 300-400 at a guess, and for the engine with all the bits bar charger your probably looking at 300-400 aswell so 600-1000 for a g60 set up really.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/g60-engin...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e669c4e1e

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G60-Super...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4841e8fcb5

(the engine a bit dear imo in that link ive seen them complete for 600 with charger before)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  9. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

I dunno man, I was all set to fit an ABF in favour of the current KR, have almost the complete setup. However I have a commute now and am seriously jacking it in favour of TDi AHU. It's not as revvy as the ABF nor near as powerful. But you can get some mileage out of them 50-60mpg and if you muck about with the turbo etc you can get a decent bit of poke out of them too.

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I will bring my 2.0 8v round tomorrow and we'll prove that the 8v doesn't have a hope against the ABF.

If you have the money for the swap, put an ABF in, all day every day.

11. afbiker02

Hmm...ABF is starting to sound better and cheaper

12. danster Forum Addict

:o Oh dear. :lol:

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

16v FTW :thumbup:

Quick turnaround, achievable, simple, uncomplicated.

Stay off the chargers also.

14. danTbone Forum Member

i had 1.98v was brilliant for quick acceleration down little back streets and town driving that used to do alot. but now its more a weekend toy and doing more track days ive moved on to abf sillmiler power as 8v but more higher revving

15. afbiker02

I do like that the ABF would a simpler swap. Although I would like to keep my car an 8 valve, I don't think I'd be happy with a 2.0 swap and I think a G60 just wouldn't be cost effective

16. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

I'm with Danster, have you ever tried a well sorted 8v, many people who write them off have never driven a good one!

You just need to start with the right base engine to ultimately allow you to achieve the maximum power you feel you will need, no point going for 8v if you want 250 bhp, realistically that Turbo territory! The same applies to 16v and G60, v bhp, turbo is probably the answer. Up to 200bhp all four will achieve that for reasonable money, between 200 bhp and 250 bhp (excluding turbo) is really 16v and G60 territory and I would guess the 16v would be less complicated to achieve reliably.

There is also the sound, do you like hiss, wizz, bang or the sound of a 'proper' engine :)

Out of interest my Brother and I put my MK1 GTi against his 2010 Focus RS (315bhp) in a straight line from a rolling first gear start and up to 120mph I had three car lengths on him! That's on an 8v engine so it shows it doesn't need to have multi valves and turbos to go well! The flip side is I wouldn't want to drive mine to London and back as it just wants to spin up all the time, it will potter about, but it's happier spinning. The Focus will potter about all day long happy as you like plus go as quick as you like for as long as you like when you want it! Horses for courses.

17. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Be different and put a crossflow 2.0L ABA 8v engine in there.

My brother had a tuned one in his MK2 a few years ago and that was very quick for an 8v [:D]

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2.;0 8v is a simple swap. 2.0 16v is going to need a whole pile of bitys even though yours is a k-jet, engine loom, inlet, metering head, all the lines ewtc. if you go for digi managment you need all the bits plus a conversion loom, though that i can sort for you :lol:

dont forget exhaust will need changing too, though you can get away with a 18v downpipe on 16v manifold. will need a bung welding in for the abf managment tho...

2.0 8v you have everything you need except the belt and head gasket. plus service bits, which you would need for the 16v anyway. but 9 times out of 10 the 16v service bits cost a bit more

dont get me wrong, abf is awesome but just make sure you know what you're letting yourself in for. but if you ever take your mk2 back to the US you'll be a hero on the vortex ;)

19. afbiker02

Well I guess I could do the 2.0 swap for now(and peace of mind...and power) and see how I like it. If later I decide I still want more then put an ABF in it and be the envy of all the vortex yanks:lol:

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Don't waste your time. I done a 2.0 8v and wish I spent the bit extra on an ABF swap now. I'm just going to go and do it anyway now.

Don't listen to Danster, he's obviously dreaming about his 8v having more talks :lol: