New engine advice

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by afbiker02, Sep 9, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes it'll fit straight on, see toyotecs abf thread all these kind of questions are answered :)

how long the swap takes depends on how much work you have to do on the day. it helps to rebuild the abf with fresh belts/seals/flanges etc before you start the main swap to reduce the effort on the day as much as possible.

i did a 1.8 - 2.0 16v swap in 10 hours, but that was pure like for like. i was being a bit lazy with it though, spent a lot of time drinking coffees and eating crumpets. also i spent some time redoing the seals in my gearbox and various other faffing (had to swap the alternator setup to the early type since the abf belt i had was wrong length, choice of 2 so sods law dictates it was the wrong one :lol:)

also it helped that my engine had been changed before (3 times :lol:) so all the bolts were free and no need to worry about rounded off stuffs. YMMV

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The box on JORAN and gad's is the original 8v box.

3. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

thanks for all the help.its the wiring up that i think will be the main headache[eek]

4. rubjonny

well you still havent told us what fusebox it has yet ;)

5. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

sorry forgot to look last night.its a ce2 hazard switch on the column.

6. rubjonny

ok then, its mostly plug and play, though it will need some tweaking to make it fit nicely in a mk2. if you get another 90spec mk2 engine loom and lay it alongside you'll see what needs doing. mainly its the wiper + mfa outside temp wires that needs swapped and all the grommets need changing for mk2. if its a late mk3 loom all the lighting and battery loom will be in there as well, all that needs to be binned.

finally i recommend you bin the mk3 coil and convert it to mk2 setup, plenty of info on that and wiring changes in toyotecs abf thread :)

7. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

thats good news.my mfa has never worked,it always shows the same figures for everything!like the pillock i am i never even got the reg of the mk3 the engine and others bits came out of so have no idea what age it was?is the mk3 coil no good?i didn't think it would be possible to swap them with the engines being different?you should have your own section on this site under the heading"ask rj"a place for dubbers air their problems lol

8. rubjonny

exact age doesnt really matter, its just a case of around 1996 the design of the looms changed. easy to tell! if it has all the lighting loom in there its post-96, if not then its pre-96. age of it makes no difference apart from the extra wires to bin if its late type. the mk3 coil is pants, plus the other advantage with converting to mk2 coil the mk2 rev counter will work without any messing about.

any more abf questions try toyotecs thread first, its probably been asked already and answered ;)

9. scottygolf

scottygolf Forum Member

thats interesting because my rev counter has never worked!thanks again for the advice.

10. PB-1981 New Member

can i jump in on this thread please? im trying to get my head round the various different engines etc, ive seen you all talk about abf and agu and kr and k jet etc id love to get a bit more juice out my gti, it an 88 1.8 16v (whats with the love hate thing for 16 valvers btw? lol ) ive been told if you swap part of the mk3 gti block onto the mk 2 you can get some great gains for not stupid money? which bits would be needed and what engine type would they need to come off? hopefully with time ill be all in with "the lingo" but till then any advice would be greatly recieved :)

11. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

PB 1981, have a look through the 16v section. There's information galore in there including the How To ABF Your Mk2 thread, which does what you describe by converting any combo of Mk2 to 2.0l 16v from a Mk3 Golf, in various flavours: keep the KJet/ use Digi/ use aftermarket management

12. rubjonny

basically what they mean is put the 2.0 block in your car. dont bother removign the head and swapping it, just fit a 2.0 block complete. 6a, 9a, ace or abf is what you want. the 6a/9a/ace will not run on abf managment unless you fit a crank sensor, but all of the above can be run from the original kr managment. see toyotecs abf thread the basic engien swap procedure is the same for all of the 2.0 16v lumps.

only additional thing is if its a 6a, 9a or ace change the cams for the old kr ones (technically you only need to swap the inlet, but unless you know what the exhaust cam is just swap the pair for piece of mind as they can use either a kr or abf exhaust cam)

13. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Ok so I've got a GTD airbox now. Do I need to mod it at all?

14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Only if you want the IAT sensor to sit in the top part of the box.

Some folk have fed the ABF oil breather into a catch tank & placed the IAT sensor in the hole that the CCV pipe would normally feed into just before the throttle body.
    If you ant to retain the original CCV breather parts then you need somewhere to put the IAT sensor, mine goes into the back of the upper GTD airbox.

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

where did you find that from I was looking a while back but couldnt find anything

16. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I think Lee found it on ebay.de IIRC

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

I might still have a SEAT ABF one kicking around. Can't remember if I already moved it on or not.

18. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Ben is right, I found it on eBay.de for about 40

19. rubjonny

on the first abf swap i did we stuffed the iat into the hole in the front of the airbox, which is fine. you'll have to put a breather filter on the isv inlet hose as there is nowhere for it to go on your GTD box, again thats what I did on this abf swap and it was fine