New Focus RS

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by RobT, Feb 25, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

pre the edit - what current VWs actualy look chavved up compared to the F*rd?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

but ford make awesome performance cars, always have. Take the original focus compared to the mk3/4 golf chassis???

Image might not be great, and yes most focus RS drivers will be noooobs, but i don't base my opinion on a car by who else will be driving it...... it's when your in it having fun that counts.

If they did it in a non 'look at me' colour it would look great i think

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

I know the FRS has more power, but surely if you put the FRS on a similar diet (which is a fair bit of weight removed at 123kg they say they saved!) the FRS would be quicker I reckon to make up the 3 seconds.

The Megane weighs just over 1200kg whilst the Focus is over 1400kg! Power the weight the FRS has it, but 200kg will kill definately show in the corners and braking!

The megane also looked flatter in the corners!

Plus from what I remember looking at the R26-R in the showroom its got semi-slick's like the whereas i'd expect the FRS to have normal everyday road tyres.

But very impressive given the Megane isn't the latest in car designs :)

5. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Drivers republis said the Focus had Continental road tyres where as the Meganne had Toyo R888 but i think even with the slighty more sticky rubber im not sure the foc wold be any quicker.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

:o

My Mk5 in road trim and DSG is lighter than the FRS. Stage 2 and it would be knocking on 300bhp.

7. funkbaron Forum Junkie

It can still look "chav" though, factory or not, as is the case with this Focus RS - it looks like a slapped on body-kit and ironing board wing, no doubt about it - they look like after-thoughts, body-kit style, tacky.

The point is, if I owned a boggo Focus then I put all this kit on it, you'd say it looked crap(prior to seeing this RS)....and don't lie:lol:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  8. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

but what about the torque and torque delivery Luke?

The RS Torque curve isn't far being a torque square lol (max torque available over wide rpm range) when I last looked at the dyno plot

plus the handling & lack of torque steer :)

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You don't get 'that much' torque steer in a mk5 GTI running @ 280 bhp, no more than say, my mk2 VR6 with Peloquin ATB.

Be nice to put a set of R888s and decent front brakes on a re-mapped Edition 30 and see what it'll do.

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

on a track, I can see the megane might take it, 888s will make a huge difference - but on the road where these motors are going to spend most of their time, tghey are road cars after all, I wouldn't mind betting the FRS would be quicker, and certainly easier to live with

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

Some of you will disagree, my mate has a standard R26 and i've seen an R26-R in the flesh in the show room.....but yesterday saw a Focus RS in lime green on the road and fudge me it looked flappin mean especially when moving! Caught my eye and i actually think the styling looks better in the flesh than the pics :)

To me the agressive kit does it proud :)

12. Ess Three Forum Member

Neither the RS or the R26R are subtle are they?

I know the Renault may be fractionally better on the track...and you can option a load of red scaffolding in the back...but I'd have to drive it to the track...so I'd want a radio at the very least.

It would be the Focus RS for me.

However, having had a good look at one recently...and a Mk6 GTI...I'm just not sure I wouldn't take a Mk6 GTI and head off to a tuner for a remap.
    I love the Focus RS...I'm just not sure I'd still feel the same a couple of years down the line when they start getting wan*ered up by well-to-do Chavs.

13. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

the owner of the one i posted above now seems to have replaced it with a white, brand new evo now..........

14. bula_82 Forum Junkie

my friends fella has a green one, i was passenger in it last weekend, i also hate, properly hate the look of it but it shifted some what so i cant complain about the speed factor.

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Renault thraped the FRS on the top gear track - but I know which I would like to own as a daily......

16. leontdi Forum Member

i love em but the only thing bar the 25k price tag would be the megane r26r something about a car with no back seats harnesses and plastic windows that does it for me .

I know it would be at the dealers every few weeks , but i love em.

17. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I know what I want. I don't even like new cars but the new RS is a proper hot hatch, now if only VW could do that again.

18. leontdi Forum Member

hmm like a proper bare bones hot hatch. why dont they make an rs golf as with the tt ?

19. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

if they did, it would cost 35K [:^(] the FRS is a fantastic car IMO

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Because they won't make anything interesting anymore. Ford are the new kings of the hot hatch, the GTi used to be able to hold everyone off and it just can't now. The new RS is exactly what it should be, it's fun, it's mental, it's fast and when you want to go home it's comfy.