New loom?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Matt GTi, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Matt GTi Forum Member

Hi guys,

I have a 1991 H Valver, and the lights, (except side lights), wipers, and indicators don't work. After looking behind the fuse box, it is apparent there has been a short somewhere, as quite a few of the wires are melted, stripped, and gone green! It looks a bit of a mess. A mate of mine who is a mechanic, said he reckons it will need a new loom, as that would be easiest. I am terrified of touching electrics, so how much would it cost to put in a whole new loom if done by an auto electrician? Is it a long and drawn out process? My mate doesn't really want to do it, as he is much more mechanically minded than electrical.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Matt

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think you would probably need to take the brake serve off to get the old wires out and the new ones in.

Where are you from? Some one off here may offer to help you for beer tokens.

3. Matt GTi Forum Member

That would be a massive help if anyone fancies it. I'm in Leighton Buzzard, beds.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

luckily you have a 90spec, the looms are nice and mopdulkar. the lighting loom is seperate from the engine loom, and all the looms to stalks, switches etc are all seperate. find yourself any 90spec MK2, Passat, MK3, Corrado etc and most of the interior looms will swap over. Engine bay lighting loom you need one to match your car, corrado I assume based on your sig?

5. Matt GTi Forum Member

Sorry, should have probably said in my original post, it is a MKII GTi, my sig is of my old VR6, haven't got round to changing it yet.
    How tricky will it be to do those looms myself then, if it isn't the main loom itself? Also, where can I buy them brand new? Getting 2nd hand ones is not going to be that easy due to work etc.

Cheers
    Matt

6. rubjonny

making them up will be tricky, better off trying to find second hand replacements. usually quite a few cars breaking and peeps having random bits left over after engine swaps. where is your hazard switch, dash or on top of column?

7. Matt GTi Forum Member

On top of the coloum from what I remember. I'm not with the car at the minute so I can't double check.

8. rubjonny

i might have some bits spare if you can confirm which bits have melted :)

9. Matt GTi Forum Member

It's a whole lot of wires behind the fusebox. I'm not sure how I can identify what is what though?

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Each bunch of wire will be on a certian plug into the fuse box. Different coloured plugs serve different bits like engine or lights.

Could someone post up a fuse box diagram?

11. rubjonny

what, like a fusebox faq? ;)

12. Matt GTi Forum Member

OK, I have had a price to replace the loom and heater matrix at the same time, so now I need a new loom for an H plate GTi 16v. They have said they will do the whole loom at the same time, to make sure all is good. So if anybody knows of one for sale, please can you point me in the right direction. Or any ideas on the cost of a new one?

Cheers for all your help so far guys.

Matt.

13. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

As Rubjonny says, all of the wiring looms are modular and separate. In other words, you have a collection of lots of completely separate wiring looms. Replacing the "whole loom" to "make sure it's all good" seems a costly and unnecessary exercise.

I would suggest that you take some good photographs of the burned wiring at the back of the fusebox, making sure that the pictures show also which connectors those burned wires are leading to. Then we can work out for you exactly which individual looms you need to replace.

14. Matt GTi Forum Member

15. rubjonny

thats a pre-90 one, can tell by the big square black block to the left. however that ecu looks like nothing I have ever seen...

16. Trev16v

Another thing to consider is that you may not actually need GTI looms for the particular looms you need to replace. Rubjonny may point out some differences that I am not aware of, but just to give you an example, if you required replacement looms for the lighting then I would have thought that the lighting looms from any post 90-spec MK2 will be fine.

Get some pictures of the rear of the fusebox showing the damage.

17. rubjonny

^^ exactly right, the only one you need to worry about is the loom for the dash clocks, and the one from the mfa stalk, as well as the engine loom obviously.

18. Matt GTi Forum Member

Right, the place where I left the car have actually fixed the problem of the non working parts. One of the looms was plugged in the wrong way round. They did say that the wiring was a right mess, and it still needs replacing. I've got some pics which I will upload later, but they don't really show much.
    Just to rub salt in the wound, since it's been there someone has tried to get into it, and knackered the locks, so I now need driver and passenger door handles and locks! Anybody know where I can those from as well?

19. Trev16v

There is absolutely nothing that could be plugged in 'the wrong way round'. Connectors into the back of the fuse panel cannot be plugged in the wrong way, and they can only physically fit into their designated sockets. I would not take any notice of them regarding the wiring. We'll see what you need to replace when we see the images later.

20. Matt GTi Forum Member

I have to say that is what I thoughts as well, but I wasn't going to argue, as everything now works, and they did it for free! Any clues on where to get door handles Trev? VW want a heck of a lot of money for them.