New loom?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Matt GTi, Mar 9, 2009.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

Im pretty sure i have all of the looms apart from the lighting loom

2. Matt GTi Forum Member

If you do have them Nealey, let me know and how much you want for them. That would be massively appreciated.

3. Matt GTi Forum Member

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all except the engine loom would be fine, for that kind of money i would expect them all to be mint and uncut, so query that with the seller :)

5. Matt GTi Forum Member

I don't suppose you had any luck from having a rummage did you Jonny or Nealey?

6. Matt GTi Forum Member

I've managed to get all the looms I need for 20 plus postage. Thanks to Ian (1990) for the tip of where to get them from.
    Ideally I want to get the car started whilst the dash and other bits are all off to make sure everything works as it should. Is there any danger with doing that? I'm not likely to give myself a shock am I?

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

No. There shouldn't be any voltages above 14V in the cabin electrics, so unless you're sticking your tongue in amongst it all, you won't/can't feel that sort of thing, let alone get a shock off it. :)

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've skimmed through this thread rather than read all the detail, so apologies if this is a repost, or already ruled out....

.... but it's very possible that your ignition switch is burned out, as both the headlights, and all the other ignition live circuits (indicators, wipers, heater blower) are powered by it.

You want to test that it's powering all the switched lives (there should be 2 permy ones, and one thicker one for the starter solenoid) at the back of it.

The other way you can check, is by bridging the No. 18 relay, and see if any of the missing items start working again (the headlights won't but indicators and wipers might.

Looks like your loom isn't great either, but it's quite possible that the ignition switch is gone too.

9. Matt GTi Forum Member

Thanks for that Mike. An auto electrician had a look at the problem, and managed to get everything working again. I then got the car home, and have since removed the dash and have located the knackered looms that need replacing. Hopefully it will all be sorted when they arrive
    I think that some of the problems where caused when the heater matrix went on the car, and alot of the inside of the car got rather wet.

10. rubjonny

possibly, my thoughts are its also partually due to the dim dip resistor, so make sure you leave that unplugged when the new lighting loom goes in so it doesnt happen again!

11. Matt GTi Forum Member

What does the resistor actually do then? If it isn't needed why is it there? What do I do with the spare connectors then, make them watrer resistant and tuck the way somewhere?

12. rubjonny

it brings the dipped beam on dimly with the sidelights, some EU thing. not required by law or the MOT, just dont plug it back in and leave the connector where it is, it wont get water where it is (under the airbox)

problem is the wires run over the chassis leg and like to rub through, then short out and set the light switch loom on fire

13. Matt GTi Forum Member

I went and fitted the 2 interior looms today, but I think I have done more harm than good! As I said before there where quite a few wires spliced into one of the looms, and the replacement ones obviously don't have those. They all lead to one of 2 places, either into the engine bay and it looks like they go to the alarm siren,
    or to this black box, anyone know what it is for?
    [​IMG]

These are some of the wires I cut from the loom to get it out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the original loom that they came off.
    [​IMG]

The headlight loom I have got hold of looks to be the wrong one as well. You can see the end of the loom in the back ground of the first picture, but there isn't a connecter like that on the loom I recieved. So I am still on the look out for one of those.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt

14. rubjonny

that'll be some kind of alarm unit, you'll want to bin it completly really. follow all the wires off it and see if its actually joined up to anything else!

15. Matt GTi Forum Member

If it is joined elsewhere, would it be safe to just cut it from the wire it is joined to, and re-insulate it? Should I do the same with the ones from the siren?
    Also Jonny, does that look like a standard 90 spec lighting connector? The one I have been sent has a different connection all together.
    Cheers.

16. rubjonny

if you do a good enough job it'll be fine, the siren wires probably run straight to the alarm module anyway!
    as for the plug in your pic yeah thats a 90spec MK2 one, the one you got sent is probably out of a MK3 or Corrado or something :)

17. Matt GTi Forum Member

The seller told me it was out of a 90 spec Golf, but I'll keep looking regardless.

18. rubjonny

not if it didnt have that plug on! all MK2s use the same plug from around 89 on.

19. Matt GTi Forum Member

Help Please!

I have found someone local to me breaking a 90 spec 8v GTi. He has removed the section of the headlight loom from the switch to the fuse box for me, but he is saying that the part that comes from the engine bay is part of the main engine loom, is that correct? If so I don't think I could do the whole lot, and may have to have a re-think. I thought the wires coming from the back of the headlights came through the bulk head seperately?
    Thanks for any help.

Matt

20. rubjonny

no the engine loom and lighting loom are seperate, though its hard to see as the brake servo is in the way. you need to pull the servo forward and undo a small plastic trim, then you can pull the 2 bay looms out :)