nitrous on mk2 8v ???

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by supercharged999, May 29, 2006.

1. supercharged999 Forum Member

hi all

has anyone fitted nitrous on mk2 gti ?

looking for only 25bhp shot, will also have a ported head.

what would i need for extra fuelling ?

also will it cope ?

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

for 25bhp you might as well fit some cams, and chip etc.

3. supercharged999 Forum Member

who does a decent chip ? and how much power gain will i get from a good cam/head possible manifold.

4. supercharged999 Forum Member

had the gas flowed head/vernier pulley/266* kent cam and complete exhaust system done on my mk2 1.8 8v and it ran 141 bhp :clap: :clap: .was expecting less.

now looking at the nitrous shot.(25 bhp )

which kit is best to use ?

5. mk1madj Forum Member

NOS runs out, real power doesn't :)

6. jtothez Forum Member

real power is expensive

Nitrous is cheap and works very well

bought my kit on ebay for 250

few quid on fresh lines and new olives, and its as good as new kit,

im only running a 25 shot on a 1.6 16v, but im sure something as beefy as a 1.8 8v could handle a 50 shot with ease

only one kit to use

Wizards of nos

www.noswizard.com

7. MK2 4EVER New Member

NOS is cheap ... Yeah right.
    It adds up REALLY quick and the costs never stop.
    A refill alone isn't cheap.
    The hardware also adds up as a safe and reliable system needs more than just a bottle and a couple of lines.
    Add a bottle warmer, purge valve, remote opener, some gauges, etc. and you can easily buy some serious power mods.

8. supercharged999 Forum Member

well, i been looking at the 2L bottom end , but it does not seem to be the thing for me (as i will be without my car for too long). so the nitrous system would be perfect.

will the golf cope with a 50 bhp shot !!!! as i thought 25 bhp shot would be safe.

the nitrous will only be used for drag days. (he he he ):lol: .

i ran 15.80 sec at elvington last week.

so looking at 15 .00 sec flat

9. lowandloud Forum Member

10. supercharged999 Forum Member

let me know what times you do at santa pod.:clap:

also did the remap/chip make much differance ?(i just added a adjustable fuel pressure regulater ).

11. jtothez Forum Member

Add a bottle warmer, purge valve, remote opener, some gauges, etc.

you can make anything expensive if you want, run my system without any of those, and know alot of people who do the same

the 1.6 16v coped fine with a 50 shot

you cant argue with 300 for a gain of 40bhp+

cant see 8v golf having any trouble with a 50 shot

12. Brookster

re-fills cheaper if you come to me !!

13. supercharged999 Forum Member

looks like i'm gonna get a 2L bottom end first, and will look at adding forged steel pistons, then add a 50 shot nitrous to it.

will standard fuel pump be ok still ?

so my Digi 8v will hopefully be doing around 150 bhp without NOS and around 200 bhp with.

already have :flowed head/266* cam/vernier/manifold+exhaust/cone filter.(130 bhp)

just had a new head and components done 500 miles ago so need a new bottom end now (reliability is essential when adding the NOS ).

any thoughts ?

14. Brookster

fuel pump will be fine just as long as you get 40psi fuel pressure ;)

if you are sticking with 8v i would be tempted to find a MK4 cross flowed head :p

15. supercharged999 Forum Member

the head on my mk2 has been very well machined.so a new head is not likely.

also will the mk2 8v gearbox still be o.k. with that power ?

16. Brookster

yes box will be fine ;)

17. lowandloud Forum Member

my best was a 15.671 @ 84.77mph and it hasn't even been set up yet so i am :) .....

some vids of the morning when i was getting warmed up http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=95991

Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  18. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

I've got a WoN kit on my mk3 8v, you'll be fine with 50bhp shot. I have a friend who used to run 75 on 1.8 8v mk1 with no controller and it was fine...until some tool pulled out on him and he took to the kerb...before hitting a lamp post. Anyway, get the kit, get it on. you'll never look back. Nitrous is great!

I used to run American kits on my motorbikes (yes I'm mad) and the build quality and power reliability isn't a patch on the WoN kits. And Trevor "The Wizard Of Nos" Langfield (Owner of WoN) is a nice bloke to boot. If you have any questions just give them a ring. If there's anything they don't know about nitrous injection its not worth knowing

19. e12_mat Forum Member

Engine will prob take it just beware that it may make anything weak show up like slipping clutch or knackered fuel pump.

Wont give you 50bhp prob more like 35bhp at the wheels, just make shore you get it setup on properly.

Used to work at a garage and we had an engine in where the fuel pump was up to the nos shot when the owner fitted it and didnt get it setup. engine ran very lean and melted a piston!! and that was a 1.6 16v honda vtec!

should be damn good fun though!!!!:)

20. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

I will second e12_Mat's caution on set-up. Nitrous has an unfair bad reputation for killing engines, and in my experience its all down to people (My self included at one point) rushing. (I melted a thumb sized hole through two pistons and never did find the two exhaust valves on my ZXR400) But that is one of the beauties of the WoN kits, the set up detail is simple and works a treat, so that you're mixture is spot on. And all of this set-up is done on a 25hp shot which isn't too risky. Once you have your mixture sorted then you can go up to 50 using the same ratio.
    The other thing people often don't realise with nitrous is that a 50bhp shot gives you just that...50bhp everywhere in the rev range, even at 1000rpm if your engine could cope (Not that Id recommend this). So obviously the torque increase at lower engine speeds is substantial. Basically your car will be a lot quicker than if you NA tuned another 50bhp out of it, as this be would likely to be higher up the rev range.