nitrous on mk2 8v ???

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by supercharged999, May 29, 2006.

1. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

I've had a fair bit of work done, Ross forged piston, H section con rods, ARP bolts, Port & polished head, 4 paddle clutch, re-mapplus more that you can see below. With the 100bhp shot i'm nut running a controller so you can imagine what its like but with 150 shot i'm going to have to get one, can you recommend one, the wizard of nos maximiser is to expensive, just want something cheap and cheerfull. It looks like we got the same "mission" i'm sick of vr6's and 1.8t

2. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Ronnie...Nice!! 100bhp fixed hit, you must have some of those big brass balls then!?
    Check e-bay, I got a basic progressive controller for 80 notes. Just does initial hit, final power and rise time. Does the job on my 75 shot at the mo.

I'm building another 2.0L 8v at the mo to drop in with Bahn brenner motorsport pistons and rods, eurospec crank, BB motorsport supercharger and of course a direct port WoN kit. Should go like stink!!

Did I mention you're mental? I love it. Good effort that man!!

3. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

Ok what would be the best set up , as i am not to clude up on the Nos kits ...by the time we get through the mapping on my car i think i will be at 290 bhp...........i think maybe a 25 or even a 50 bhp nos kit would suit me fine....

4. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

For 25-50 shot just a basic single point injection should be ok, so you'd just need the SB100i, everything comes with it to get you a basic set up. bottle heater is a good purchase in my opinion for consistency. As always, if you're serious about getting a kit then I'd point you in the direction of the Wizards of Nos WoN

www.noswizard.com

Buy a copy of Trevors book which details all the basics you need to know to get you started and well worth the 15 quid or whatever it is these days.

The forum which is linked to the WoN website is an absolute goldmine of information regarding everything to do with gas.

5. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

Nice one sdj_mk3, i've been on ebay to look at controllers and there a bargain. Sounds like your building abit of a beasty engine.....i like it! what have you done to your current engine? i need some more ideas for mine now.

6. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Current motor is completely stock below the head gasket, gear box too. Then got K&N57i (but with a proper home made cold air feed, not the cr@p one that comes with it!), power rohr intake pipe, kent GS22H mild road cam, ported and polished head (did myself), 3 angle valve seat cut, Compression increased from 9.6 up to 10.8, NGK iridium plugs 1 step colder (needs to be 2 though I think), magnecor leads, 4 branch manifold to go on this week, home made de-cat pipe, magnex cat-back exhaust. All being strangled by stock management!! KMS ECU to follow soon, hopefully before the new engine goes in. WoN SB100i single point into the power Rohr just before the butterfly, 11lb bottle where the back seats used to be, bottle heater, dash pressure guage and a cheap ebay controller!!

I've got one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/twisted-sanit...ryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its a completed item so might have to have an ebay log in to view, not sure. Nothing fancy but better than a fixed hit!! But probably not as fun!!

What management are you running Ronnie? Still stock?

7. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

I've only just recently had a AMD re-map, nothing fancy with the managment as of yet. You said you've port & polished your head by yourself? how easy was that? I've got my car of the road now so i'm looking to spend loadsa money and time on it. any help wud be appreciatted lol [:D]

8. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

progressor

I like that ...PROGRESSOR, maybe i willl use alittle more NOS with this set up ,Hmm 290-300bhp with 75hp NOS hmm 375bhp, should be good on the QRT may see early 14s even 13s

9. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

G60gerry...now that's the spirit! Man after my own heart!!

Ronnie, porting and polishing wasn't too difficult. I'm not proffessing that its a flow bench master piece but it definitely flows better than a standard head. I've got a good relationship with my local head shop. Had a word with them, they gave me some pointers and I set about it. When I was done I took it back and got him to look over it and see what he thought. He reconed it wasn't a bad job at all. Sure he could have done better but not for free !! $$$ !!! I used a little hobby drill and a load of grinding stones and mini production paper spools from halfords!! Cost me 10 all in!!
    Might have some pictures of work in progress I can try to dig out if you're interested, don't think they're great but may give you the idea. I polished the combustion chambers too.

10. supercharged999 Forum Member

hi guys

i got a MINIMAX controller that i have not used (came with my WON kit ).

150 posted ?

I LOVE NITROUS :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

If you could get some pics that would be great because Id like to replace the head on mine to a 1.8 (heard its better than the 2.0) and port and polish that one. I did think about opening up the inlet on the throttle body by a few mm. how much bhp do you think youve gained from port & polishing the head yourself?

12. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

They're on my computer at home so will try to remember to pick them up tonight and post tommorrow.
    Any HP increases would be difficult to guage (seat of pants dynomometer) And the other problem is I did it at the same time as putting a cam in, the 3 angle valve seat cut and the compression increase, but all that made a good improvement. Got to be worth doing the 8v heads as they come leave a lot to be desired, especially closer to the valves.

I'm using a mk2 1.8 8v head on my new engine as opposed to mk3 head. I've heard they flow better too although I currently have a mk2 and a mk3 8v head on my desk infront of me and there doesn't look to be a lot in it. Both have room for improvement!! (My reason for going to a mk2 head is actually because I'll be using a G60 manifold and the mk2/G60's have the injectors in the head where as mk3's are in manifold. So mk3 head + mk2 manifold = no where for injectors!!)

13. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

have you got a spare head for sale then?:) how have you lowered the compression ratio? just by adding another gasket? sorry about all the questions its just nice to find someone doing similar sort of work to similar sort of cars lol.

14. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

I've got a spare mk3 head for sale. And it came off an engine which for want of a better word was absolutely mint. (60k) The mk2 head is going on my new engine. I even cleaned it all up and re-sprayed it. Comes with all valves (cam if you want it) manifold fuel rail and injectors...
    I increased the compression not decreased it. Just a head skim, can't remember how much exactly but about 1.5mm I seem to remember. Not ideal for nitrous I know but helps off gas. That's why I want to get the new ECU on asap, cause at the mo the compression and lack of spark advance control is the limiting factor on how much I can run (detonation is the bain of my life!!)
    And keep the questions coming! Most of the time people are bored of my ranting so its nice to be asked!!

15. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

how much wud u like for the head then?, i'll use that one to try port & polish. know anyone who wants a nos kit, got a spare WoN wet kit. should hopefully be getting my 4 branch manifold soon but looks a pig to fit, i heard that some have to whack the bulk head to get them on.

16. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

[​IMG]
    Thats the mk2 head on the left and the mk3 on the right.
    Ronnie, sent you a PM about the head and your spare WoN kit.

Cheers,
    Sam

17. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

18. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

very good guide. covers all the key factors of nitrous [:D]

19. supercharged999 Forum Member

just had 50 bhp jets fitted.:clap: :clap:

pulls nice not gonna use the controller , even if i go to 75 shot.

so far my 2L MK2 8V is running 203 BHP with gas.

hoping for 14.00 sec flat on 1/4 mile.:)

still got the MINIMAX for sale.

20. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Good news!! 75 without a controller should be a bit lively. You'll be growing a set of those hairy b@lls Rocket Ronnie is sporting!!!

I'd have the minimax off you but my car appears to have burnt all my money...