No Spark from Coil?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Jackman1994, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Oh right okay I wont worry too much about that then...
    Okay I'll have a gander, would that be able to stop a spark?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no, but if its wired up properly using the correct 67/80/167 relay it can help diagnose ecu issues. for example if it primes you know the ecu is getting power, if it runs while cranking you know the ecu is seeing the signal from the hall sensor :)

3. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Whenever my ignition is clicked on it's doing something and making a noise.
    I'll have a look at her when I'm home tonight, any suggestions of things to try? Got a new distributor at home now to fit.
    So the pump gets it's signal from the hall sensor?

4. rubjonny

the ecu triggers the pump relay, if its wired in right and using the correct 67/80/167. it will prime the pump when ignition is switched on, then when it sees a hall sender signal from the dizzy when the engine starts cranking it'll trigger the pump as well.

the tci unit in the scuttle is worth a look, they're the same for all mk1/2 with electronic ignition if you got spares. and just a general check and clean up of all the wiring plugs in the bay, check pins are straight and tight, peel back all the rubber boots to check the crimped joints on the pins, look for black tape hiding previous wire bodges etc

5. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Ahh you say about the tci unit, I looked at my original tci unit.. the one that came with the engine is the same as the one I already had (same part number). All well and good but the car was on carbs before? Tried them both and no difference.. But surely for for an injection engine it should be a different unit? Thanks

6. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Also I dont appear to have any earths on my block? Only on my gearbox? Is that an issue? Thanks

7. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Stuck a jump lead on the block and on the - of the battery and still no better. I'm testing by plugin a lead/plug straight into the coil and watch for a **** storm of sparks on the plug but nothing [:x]:(

8. rubjonny

the tci is the same for all mk2 with electronic ignition :)

you should have a brown/white from the ecu to the head, plus another from the clocks if its was a GTI originally. it may have been earthed somewhere else tho as its a conversion, start at the ecu and chase all the wires from it!

9. Jackman1994 Forum Member

My car was carbed before, don't suppose you know what the part number should be? They are all wrapped and I have no idea what I'm doing, might have to pay someone here :cry:

10. Jackman1994 Forum Member

My car was carbed but the Tci unit I got with the engine (On Kjet) is exactly the same as the one I already had for my carbed engine? Like same part number?

11. rubjonny

yes the TCI unit is the same for all MK1/2/scirocco with electronic ignition, so if it plugs into your loom and has vw logos on it then its fine ;)

even if it was an incompatible unit from say another maker, it would still give you a spark it may just mess with the timing as some have logic inside to mess with the timing, whereas VW units are 'dumb' and rely on the dizzy or in your case the ecu to set the ignition timing.

start at the ecu plug and follow the looms back, the ecu loom is separate from the main loom its only join to the main loom is a 2 pin plug in the scuttle for idle switch and fuel relay trigger, plus the spark trigger to the coil is in a 2 pi9n spade plug along with the rev counter signal back to the fusebox.

you should have a hall sender plug to the dizzy, a temp sensor wire to the side of the head, live and trigger to the coil, an earth to the battery and an earth to the head in your ecu loom its pretty simple :thumbup:

Jackman1994 likes this.
  12. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Many thanks! I will have a look later when with car. Hopefully will make more sense then haha! ;) Will update later

13. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Will the problem be within the ECU loom? Or does the spark use any other wiring? I haven't looked tonight, definitely looks like a weekend job as got back from work late tonight! How many wires should be coming of the plug on the ecu?

14. rubjonny

the spark is controlled by the ecu, nowt else involved with it. so you're looking at ecu, dizzy, tci, coil, wiring to coil from fusebox, or ecu wiring :thumbup:

15. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Spot on, so my faults gotta be there somewhere! I'll have to brave the daunting task of unwrapping it! My fusebox looks like spaghetti where the matey that wired up has done half a job :thumbd: So hopefully won't have to get that deep in!

16. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Although my left side lights are permanently on whenever the battery's plugged in.. So going to have to look into that at some point :( Any idea what that would be?

17. rubjonny

pull the headlight switch for starters see if that stops it, but it coudl be anything really if the wiring has been hacked about...

18. Jackman1994 Forum Member

It didn't do it until I tried to pick the spaghetti up off the passenger floor at the weekend, so something obviously unplugged.. :(

19. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

If it really is that bad I'd start looking for a good second hand loom.

20. Jackman1994 Forum Member

I might aswell try and tidy and look into this one, as if I buy another I'll be back to square one with no idea how to fit it! :(