Quaife ATB = amazing!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GVK, Oct 17, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Following on from Tub's "GVK killed one gearbox compared to my FOUR this year" thread... :lol:

Collected the box from Stealth last Friday and fitted it Friday afternoon, minor scare with clutch slip afterwards but was luckily 'only' cable adjustment.

Soon noticed how much better the car pulls with the lower 2Y ratios,goes a hell of a lot better through the gears than it did with the long ratios of the DFQ

As for the Quaife ATB diff, awesome! When people have posted on here that the car is magnetically attracted to the inside of roundabouts with the ATB, that's no sh*t! - Car seems much more planted in fast corners too.

Amazing how much front end grip there is in the wet now too, been playing about with lift-off oversteer on my local *cough* handling pad and can catch it with the throttle after letting it hang out *far* too much

Along with Eibach ARBs I really think the diff is a must have mod for anyone that 'drives' a GTI.

Ok, there is some snatching on uneven roads when you accelerate hard and you have to be aware that the steering doesn't self centre if the diff is really working on exit of tight corners/roundabouts, but even with both wheels spinning you can steer where YOU want to go. [:D]

Pity the diff seals are leaking already and there's a mismatched gear 'meshing' type noise that can be heard the most rolling along in 2nd. [xx(]

Can't moan about Stealth - Vince has offered to have another look at the box. It's just inconvenient to say the least.

http://www.quaife.co.uk/index.htm

Edited by: G_V_K

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Good isnt it? ;). You will get used to it soon. When you get into a non diff'ed car, you wonder how you lived without one!

3. GVK

I'm used to it already [:D] , just noting the 'downsides' to it really. Can't wait to get on track Nov 14th at Donington to *really* test it out.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Me & infinity are contemplating Donny. Whats weather like there usually this time of year? Wet probably. :lol: . Only downside I have found, when using the diff on high speed tight bends, when i ease off power, i get understeer. But I still need uprated arbs at the mo. I only get lift off oversteer on extreme cases.

5. GVK

We did a day there last November, the morning was very wet but it dried up in the afternoon.

Some vids from that day on my site.

Yep, I've noticed you can get slight understeer if you lift off going into a bend too fast, I think it's a mind over matter thing, where as before If you got back on the throttle too early after initally braking for the bend you'd get understeer, but now the thing will just grip and pull you through the corner.

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

bit bad that your having probs already...was it a full rebuild or what

7. GVK

re-con 16v 2Y box with the diff fitted.

Problem being with a 're-con' gearbox, when you just look at a pair of gears on the bench there's nothing to say they'll be noisy, ok the bearings in the box should've been replaced so they shouldn't be causing a problem, unless there's a bearing in there that's not been replaced that you can usually 'get away with'.
    Edited by: G_V_K

8. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Should have gone to Martin.

Half the price and loads more parts replaced. ;)

Told you that you'd love the Diff though! :lol:
    Edited by: Tubthumped

9. stella

stella Forum Junkie

What's going on at Donny on 14th? Same as last year?

10. GVK

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nice to see another one join the club ;) .

The twitching on uneven surfaces can be effected by your tyres as well mind as mine was terrible at first with it following any dips & bumps needing both hands on the wheel under hard acceleration but as soon as i swapped the tyres around with some good stuff at the front it was totally different.

Can still get the thing to slide & twitch all over the road in the wet mind (ask Duff :lol: ).

ATB best appreciated going round an s-bend with the foot flat down :lol: although i haven't tryed taking off the foot & planting it again mid corner to see if the back does really come out [xx(] .

Best thing i EVER done too the golf.

12. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

ditto 2,

i really notice hoe great the diff was when i did Llandow, both in the wet and the dry there was bags loads of grip [:D]

13. prof Forum Addict

sounds ace

got an LSD visco frnt diff in the Fiat, very grippy in the rain, but does steer itself under acceleration on uneven roads

think a quaife will be on the mk2 shopping list

14. velly_16v_cab

yes abit on uneven roads but i fould that mikes 2.1 8v pulls more than mine....i guess it back to the old torque and power of the 8v v's 16v again ;)

but as long as u have both hands on the wheel you will be ok.

15. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Or maybe your tracking and camber is better set-up than his...? ;)

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

All fwd cars should have one.

(well, those that actually have enough power to warrant one at least).

17. Admin Guest

how much is that then? ;)

18. Unknown Forum Junkie

I always wanted one on my 40bhp renault 4 but then I used it in mud mostly... :lol:

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cheeky bast [:x] mine's like a gocart now :lol: , it was the cheap tyres that made it go mental but i still get torque steer (then again tubs you need torque for that to happen :lol: ;) ).

EDIT:Im running with pi springs, koni dampner adjustables, front lowering caps, bonrath top mounts, eibach arb's, fully braced, poly bushes throughout & on steering rack which has new mountings & some negative on the tracking setup.
    Edited by: fthaimike

20. velly_16v_cab

LOL...no need to bite clart :lol:

but the sportline does handle very well for a sort top.
    and im only running bilsten sportline kit with f**ked bonrath top mounts LOL, front upper and lower brace (back isnt fitted yet) and ive never had the tracking done LOL

mike, i think we need to play on some roundabouts ;)