Running a VR6 turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by LregG, Oct 26, 2011.

1. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

If so, how did you lower compression, what turbo and management are you using?

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Gasket spacer. A search can reveal turbo choice. And I think standard management with a chip can be used. I'm sure toyo can provide more Info.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. craggsy Forum Member

Spacer plate as said. Turbo of choice for most is a GT35 and a remapped ecu. simples lol

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'm sure you can read powernuts thread, many a turbo and engines used on that project.

5. benthejettaman Forum Member

what cold and hot sides would you suggest? as from what i have read neither the vr6 or a o2a box likes hard hitting early spooling boost

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

What do you want the car for? Road? Want it drivable and not to much power late in rev band?

Keeping standard internals?

If so then something like gt30 with .63 hotside, ihi vf22, vf34 with p20 housing, mitshi td05h or something along those lines will make for a nice spooling turbo and anywhere from 300-400 bhp or more if you push the boost on gt30 only tho

7. craggsy Forum Member

Im not to hot on all the ins and outs of turbos tbh. I can find out and let ya know. But as sambo says it depends on how you want it to drive. Spool up to soon and you will wreck gearboxes. Let me see what mates run.
    Oh I have a GT30 in my R32 but again dont know figures on it but it hits boost at about 2.5k- 3k rpm i think as im not looking at speedo when booting it lol

Edit....with a GT35R a couple are using the 0.82 one what ever that means

8. coullstar Forum Member

My old car was spacer plate down to 8.5:1. GT3582r (0.82 hot side), OBDII with C2 chip. Previous turbo was a 1.06 hot side but the 0.82 was nicer and came in around 3250rpm. Very driveable and I did about 7000miles in a year with next to no problems at all and it was suprisingly okay on fuel. I think its the perfect set up for all round use and was still laughably fast. God I miss it.

9. LregG

I've done a little research and basically i have found a spacer plate that comes with gaskets either side with a total thickness of 3.7mm that gives 8.5:1 compression. So the idea is to make a nice cheap'ish build as i already have a turbo (not sure i'll use this particular one hence the question), turbo manifold and i've also got a 64k mile bottom end available to me with a loom, The rest i would have to find but i'm good with hunting down parts/bargains.

My target would be 350-400bhp for my stripped out mk2 as, simply put, i miss 300bhp per ton+ (the beige beast was knocking around that figure). The car would be just for weekend blasts and the occasional 1/4 mile. If money were to allow, i would like it to be up and running for the summer

10. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

If you doing it on a budget and not splashing out on rods/pistons etc then keeping it below 400bhp for reliability sake is advisable

Gt3076R with .63 hot side will give you flat torque band from 2.5k-6.5k without much lag at all and power anywhere from 350-450 if you want but like i said keep it at 360-400 max which is plenty

Map it properly to prevent violent boost build up and your g.box will be fine and will make for an awesome driving car

.82 housing will let boost build more progresive if that is what you want but unles you going over 400 bhp its a bit of a waste and will be more laggy

Just depends what you want really, up to you :)

11. benthejettaman Forum Member

12. coullstar Forum Member

Id agree with that although I didnt find the 35 laggy at all. I didnt use it everyday but it was very tractable round town then when it did come in it was very progressively. I did have a 3.68FD which helped as well, that would be my first choice mod on any VR TBH.

Theres are very good sticky thread on the corrado forum that focuses on FI for the VR.

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Well you know what i mean, laggy as in street car laggy, i was trying to make point that if he is building it on budget with standard internals then gt35 will be wasted as he will only use around 50% of the turbo potential so no point in it unless course he is planing to rebuild engine in future at higher spec

Better off with smaller turbo to widen the torque band, but then again his choice of how he wants car to drive :)

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

For VR6 turbo I would also suggest keeping the gearbox FDR at 3.3 rather than multiply axle torque with a shorter diff set.
    GT30 will be good enough for this application with around 350PS @ 6000 and ~400+lbft @ 3800rpm.
    You should achieve full boost by 2700rpm ( 260 +lbft), so yes, it would be wise to turn down the torque at this level in order to save the gearbox.
    The VR6 is not brilliant in terms of cyclinder filling , but this same GT3076 has been run on EVO3 2.0 engines and achieved 423bhp@7400rpm and 350lbft@5500rpm running 1.2bar of manifold pressure. A 2.8 litre 6, regardless of flawed cylinder head design ( compared to a 4G63) should achieve much more torque but be compromised at the top end for the same PR.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  15. LregG

Cheers for in info guys, much appreciated.

What turbo or turbo's for that matter could i use that are more readily available than a GT30? A GT30 would be nice but they aren't exactly cheap...TD06?

16. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

TD05 20G would be good choice and can be had for 300 quid

Or how about couple of inexpensive smaller turbos like K03? If you are adventerous that is Lol

Another good choice and cheaply available turbo is KKK K26/K27 of a Porsche

Or how about smaller frame Holset?

17. Toyotec

Or 2 5304 units.
    They are good on a B5 RS4 2.7 and could be fitted to each exhaust branch for good packaging.

18. LregG

The turbo I originally purchased (which planted the seed) turned up today and err, well, its very overkill for what I need. Ah well, back to searching high and low on the web

19. Toyotec

What turbo is that?

20. LregG

It's basically a GT35/40 copy with a 360degree bearing and not ball bearing...supports 650bhp...it was a 'worth a cheeky bid/I'll never get it for that' moment lol