Scirocco Track Car Development...X-Flow Conversion preparation

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mike_H, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Right... on-track Nurburgring update. On the 2.5km uphill section, I used to bog down at 107 mph - either screaming in 4th, or struggling in 5th.

There were roadworks on that section, about 2/3 of the way up, so I didn't get a clear run at it, but on the Megasquirt install, I was showing 116 mph before I had to slow down for the roadworks. There's a clear power gain been had here, and that's without getting a clear run at it. I used to only get 125 max in the straight before Schwedenkreuz, and I'm over 130 now

... and all this is with a 16v speedo, vs 8v last year, so it should be reading slightly lower [:D]

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The car was flying Mike. Really struggled to keep up with you after I let you past. Probably weren't pushing anywhere as hard as you, but looked in great form.

3. AjVR Forum Member

Great build on this! Does the custom cage make it hard to get in and out or is it not too bad? Also who is this megasquirt guru?

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

It depends on where you sit. I sit quite close to the wheel (short legs) , so it's tricky without the removeable wheel boss.

5. romaingirardlamamy

romaingirardlamamy Forum Member

Nice build
    Glad to ear that the megasquirt make such a big difference
    Keep up the good work
    Romain

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

when is it off to streamline mike??

7. bens_cab Forum Junkie

megasquirt guru = the one and only toyotec its all the torques

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Minor update: I haven't done much with this since the 'ring trip, but this weekend I finally got round to fitting the gearbox with the Quaife LSD, and helix clutch that came out of Jettadan's track car. It took all day on Saturday (10am-10pm) because I had a few problems along the way, and then got tired and started doing things in the wrong order. Stuff like putting the balljoint back in, getting the gearbox mounts in, etc, all took longer than they should too. The new box had a couple seized bolts I wanted to sort out before it went on too, so that ate up some more time.

It's finally in and working though. You can definitely feel the diff pulling the car through the corners, so hopefully it'll help me get the power down sooner in the bends. We'll find out at Curby this weekend!

One minor issue. The Helix organic clutch is really heavy compared to a standard one. Combined with the Hotgolf lightened flywheel, I managed to stall it quite a few times until I got used to it. I'm slightly worried that maybe it needs more lube on the clutch splines, to help the friction disc move in and out (but that won't be happening this week). I took the cable off on Sunday and lubed it up with lithium grease, then fitted a bulkhead reinforcing plate to stop it from pulling through. The bulkhead looks perfect at the cable hole, which is very odd for a 20 year old scirocco. Not sure how long it would have lasted with this setup though.

I just hope the weather stays dry for Curby, and the car holds together. There's a little bit of play in the inner N/S steering arm ball joint (result of sticky tyres and kerb hopping I guess), but no time to sort that this week. It was interesting to see that the car still has original VAG wishbones and track rod ends. Maybe something on the list for a winter rebuild.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  9. karl1987 New Member

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Winter enhancement plans:

The scirocco is on a diet. Plastic windows, removal of underseal and sound deadening, lighter seats and subframes. I've also got some lighter wheels to use on track. Aiming to get about 50 kg off the car.

Also planning a gearbox rebuild with a lower (3.9) diff. Not doing that myself though.

11. R.b!n_16v Forum Member

sounds great mike, keep up the good work:thumbup:

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks... I haven't done much to it lately, but ordered a couple of bits at the weekend. I've got a couple of seats coming with the Mk1s I just agreed a deal on, so they might end up in the car, as they're lighter than the seats I have in there, and in better condition (I'm not sure they've ever actually been sat in).

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

"You fat barsteward!" The diet begins. It's all about the grammes, y'know...

Spent an hour this evening with air chisel and angle grinder. Ear plugs were a really good idea for using an air chisel inside the car. It was rattling away like a woodpecker on crack. I've still got the driver's side to do, but at least I didn't make any new holes in the floor....yet.

"Gut That Door" as Larry Grayson almost said... (that's one for the older members)
    [​IMG]
    I'll try the heat gun on the sound deadening inside the door...

Get out 'n' walk!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left the area round the big metal bung in the floor, as I don't want to spend the time welding a patch on it after I accidentally knock it out of the floor.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  14. Funky Diver Forum Member

Cut out the door handle buddy... bit of SWR between the latch and the front should do it surely, and save more grammes [:D]

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

SWR?

I was thinking of doing that - Porsche Carrera RS Stylee ;)

16. Funky Diver Forum Member

Steel Wire Rope :)

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ah right... I was thinking of using garden twine, sash window cord, or whatever else I find lying around the workshop.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Golf electric window cables, complete with OE rubber surrounds and U-clamps.

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hmm... good idea. I think I have a dead one lying around too.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

More Pre-Curby Prep

- Cutting out Lexan windows - I used a 'clean cut' wood blade in the jigsaw. The square sander was used to straighten up and smooth the rougher bits of the edges - not really looking for finesse though. Make sure you clamp the sheet down well though.

I left the runners in, and cut the the lexan about 5mm bigger than the old windows, so that they'd self support in the runners. I also screwed a piece of wood to the bottom of them, to stop them pulling out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bumpers...

I took the bumpers apart and lightened them - been meaning to do it for ages. Lever out the plastic wedges, hold the clips back with screwdrivers/feeler gauges/etc, and lever the girder out of the plastic parts. Then I chopped the main girder so it was only held in by a couple of clips on each side, and used a couple of bolts to hold it in place on the front, as well as the clips and wedges. On the rear, it's just the clips.

There's a second narrow girder to stiffen the bumper edge. I removed that completely. I left the towing eye on. It's heavy, but they can come in handy.

- Main girder and inner plastic liner, in the process of being chopped.
    [​IMG]

- Bits saved from the two bumpers - weighs between 5&6 kilos.
    [​IMG]

- Holesaw action on the front, to allow more air to the oil cooler (hopefully).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011