Scirocco Track Car Development...X-Flow Conversion preparation

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mike_H, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Starting this month, as it happens... That's the reason I think I'm not going to get to the 'Ring at Easter.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Did a bit more roll cage painting today - 'custom' brush to get in round the screen
    [​IMG]

Then I started stripping out the Kjet gubbins, which is surprisingly heavy. The 16v WUR will go in the other car for now, and probably the injectors too, as they're lower mileage.

Airbox & metering head, filter, WUR, CSV and injectors have all been removed.
    [​IMG]

Tested an idea for a possible air feed setup (I bought the cone filter with a load of bits. It's an ABF inlet pipe joined to the Scirocco one. Not ideal, but it might do for a short term fix.
    [​IMG]

Pulled a kjet injector seat, and test fitted a digifant one in there. :thumbup:
    [​IMG]
    Digifant seat is on the right - Kjet on the left
    [​IMG]

Next:
    - pull the inlet manifold (just for access - the same one is going back on);
    - swap the dizzy for a digifant one;
    - make a blanking plate for the Cold Start Valve
    - Pull the fuel pipes and make new ones, run inside the car. Not essential for the MSEFI conversion, but one of the pipes is seeping under the car. I'm using 8mm copper tube, as per Smudge and VW_Singh.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  3. MR D Forum Member

Loving your work Mike-h.
    Doing similar to mine

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks - I haven't touched this for about 10 days, due to working on other cars, but I did make it to a scrapyard for some Megasquirt bits:

- Audi fuel rail from an A4 8v car (not sure which engine size), with a 4.0 bar FPR
    - Audi 80 3 Pin TPS
    - BMW AIT Sensor
    ... and a couple of wiring plugs with 'pigtails'

20 quid the lot - bargain!

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Good find:thumbup:

6. MR D Forum Member

What shock / spring combo did you go for ? I have red Koni`s on mine and it really does crash over the bumps

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's a Koni sport kit - yellow body TA dampers

8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Looking good Mike

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Finally... it runs on the Megasquirt. 3 weeks to go to the Nurburgring, and the job list looks like this:

Must do:
    - Map Megasquirt in and make sure the car is reliable on it. Rolling Road Check
    - Fit Dash
    - Fit Door Cards
    - Fit rest of rollcage padding
    - Tidy Wiring for Megasquirt (lots of tidying needed - soldering, sleeving, etc)
    - Wire in oil and water temp gauges - need to find somewhere for the water temp sensor first!
    - Fit air filter to car properly and add a heatshield

Should Do:
    - Fit Jettadan's old Quaife diffed 'box with new clutch and lightened flywheel
    - Fit lexan rear window
    - Move oil cooler to get more airflow
    - Fit vinyl sheet on roof
    - Lots of test mileage.

Admin
    - Tell insurance about the latest mods
    - Book a ferry DONE
    - Re-join ADAC EMAILED

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Let me know when it's due on said RR :thumbup:

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

would be intersted to see the results too

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

A bit more fiddling tonight. I generated a new VE map based on the correct injector values, and it promptly wouldn't start. After more petrol (was very low) and lots of cranking (including a battery swap), it finally, reluctantly, coughed into life. I'm not sure if it was a fuel issue, but it starts again now.

It seems to start better at 0 degrees advance on cranking. It was set to 15 degrees on the starter map, although that might have been a temporary setting when Sir Eddie was trying to get it started on the wrong dizzy the other day (just to prove it was going to start). Once I'm convinced it'll start and run reasonably reliably, it can go for a gentle test run to see if it's ok to start driving it to work for a couple of weeks - to prove the reliability before the Ring trip.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

New TPS is in - Dash fitting is started, and I've made a couple of door cards (the old ones don't fit with the cage in).

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Right... I really need to do a proper write up on this, but things have been manic getting the car ready, and there just hasn't been time.

Anyway, on Sunday afternoon, and on Monday night, the car was in the hands of our 'Tame Megasquirt Expert'.

[Top Gear Mode]
    Some say, he things in air-fuel ratios and has to translate it into human language
    [/Top Gear Mode]

Anyway, after two long sessions of debugging problems with the build - mostly around the fuel system wiring, and ALL stuff I'd done wrong [:$] we got into the serious mapping last night. To say I'm happy with the results would be a massive understatement. There's better flexibility and a smoother idle at the bottom end, way more midrange punch, and the power hangs on for longer at the top end. It still does over 30 mpg on a motorway run too (VR6 owners take note!)

I've got a few jobs to do today tidying up the wiring, interior, and doing final prep for the trip.

The final proof of the pudding will be on the 'Ring, and at Curby in September. If I don't break the 30 second barrier in this, I want shooting (as long as it's dry).

It would have been good to get the gearbox changed for the 3.9 Quaife one, but that'll have to wait till after the 'Ring trip now.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  15. jamesa Forum Junkie

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Last minute ring-prep update. Saved some weight by removing one of the rear tailgate struts - there's no spoiler or wiper on the tailgate (- 9 kg), so it weighs a lot less than standard.

17. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

when is it going to streamline mike?

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll need to discuss with Our tame Megasquirt Expert: Some say his fingers can sense voltage to 3 decimal places.

If he reckons there's scope to improve it, I'll go for a session. If not, it'll be on the rolling road day (unless I take the 914) just to see how many more torques it's got (Eddie will tell me off if I talk BHP).

19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Megasquirt Expert?:Some say His nostrils are like Lambda probes and his ears like Carb balancers.
    Nice one Mike. Glad the 'Rocco is coming along :thumbup:

Gurds

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

8v's do not have bhp, just like VR6s (Ankors):lol: