Scirocco Track Car Development...X-Flow Conversion preparation

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mike_H, Apr 6, 2009.

1. 16vChris New Member

Saw you at the 'ring, shame I never got a chance for a chat I was in this

[​IMG]

I've also got plans for a gearbox change after my trip, so will be interested to see how you get on. Added lightness is always a bonus too.

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Looking good Mike, think I need another look at this motor soon, I remember coming over when you were taking the sunroof out and going on your mad weight reduction mission.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

I remember seeing the plate. Hope you had a good trip. What's the spec of the car?

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

These arrived today... from Compbrake. Sorry about the pic - the iPhone doesn't like low light.

[​IMG]

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

i have them and they are nasty on the road .

6. jettadan Forum Member

I've got them (old TAS ones) and don't find it too bad tbh - obviously not as forgiving as original ones, but the improvement in handling is worth the sacrifice ;)

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They're fine! When fitting them, watch the castor, as it weights the steering up quite a lot.

Good to see this coming along.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll get down the gym then, or take some more weight off the front of the car - or both! I guess that's partly why the 911 steering weights up in corners - I think it runs a lot more castor to make it turn in.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  9. jettadan Forum Member

How have you got your's set up Chris? I tried to set mine up with more caster and camber by having them towards the rear and middle of the car if that makes sense!

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's as it came - rear and middle.

Without power steering it was fairly heavy and self-enter orientated. I think the diff is contributing, but unless you're happy to bully a car, steering-wise, it personally think it would be useful to have an option to adjust back more towards OE settings in case a get out is needed.

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mk1 with 5`castor and 1.5` -ve camber - only driven it on the gravel track at home, not overly heavy.

[​IMG]

12. jettadan Forum Member

Mines all over the place tbh, but its still never been set up properly.

Thats a job for Pro-Tec when i eventually have everything sorted and its ready to be setup by professionals.......:lol:

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Did the alloy top mounts change your ride height at all, to those who have them? I was wondering if they might raise it about 3/4 inch or so.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They'll raise it, due to the aluminium being ~ 1cm-15mm thick, rather than the thin steel OEM top mounts.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah - thought as much. Will see how it goes - maybe get some shorter springs on order.

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

Dropped the car off tonight to have the roll cage fitted - I'm well excited!

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent Mike.

More cage pics, love it.

18. jettadan Forum Member

Cool - look forward to pics :)

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

The cage is in, and the solid top mounts too. Just driving it back from Daventry was a very different experience from before. I would normally of fitted it myself, but time is short, and I got a good deal from someone who knows what they're doing - having welded custom cages kits into his own race-winning cars.

The car feels a lot stiffer, crashes over bumps a lot more, and turns in a lot sharper (even with Fulda road tyres on the front).

Anyway... some pics before paint. It's the custom cages club kit, with an extra bar across the back as a harness bar / strut brace.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tight fit to the body - no finger room. It's been welded to the body in several extra places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  20. Mike_H Forum Addict

... and in keeping the sprit in which this car is car is being built (cosmetics are a long way down the priority list), a paint job, of sorts. Have rattle cans, will bodge. Grey primer and then matt black (hopefully to minimise reflections).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, fit the flocked dash I got from Jolfa (if I can stop stroking it long enough to fit it) ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010