Starting Problem - Lack of Power?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dan_1987, Sep 1, 2007.

1. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Is there anyway I can get all the ETKA illustrations? Has someone got an electronic copy or something?

2. Richardshoes Forum Member

www.torrentscan.com

Search for ETKA. Make sure you have client. ie Azureus or something. then download the torrent. What operating system are you running?

3. Setone Forum Member

you do need to support the engine, as it will rock forward a little, just us some wood and a trolley jack under the sump

4. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I have Windows & Mac. I use bitcomet for my Windows so will use that.

Once again, Haynes lets me down. I'll tear the pages out and use it to wipe my a*** instead. :)

5. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Just thought I'd update you on the problem. After changing the starter motor, the problem still occurs, so I have used Setone's help and replaced some of the wiring which seems to have sorted it.

Thanks Setone!

6. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Ok, the problem isn't quite sorted. The only wire I have replaced is the main battery (+ve) to starter. Its certainly helped it a lot, but occasionally it still struggles to turn.

I have also cleaned the main earth at all three connections. Can anyone explain what the alternator-to-starter wire does? I will probably change it anyway, as I have spare wire.

Thanks.

7. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

And here's a pic of the replacement starter and tidy wiring.

[​IMG]

Anyone know what other wires could cause the slight starter motor stutter?
    I've cleaned the main battery-chassis-gearbox earth. What other earths are there, that could require cleaning?

8. Richardshoes Forum Member

A weak or partially discharged battery would cause the starter motor to struggle.

9. nealey Forum Junkie

did you get the bottom starter motor bolt in ok as it runs through the engine mount and thats why you need to support the engine

10. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Yes thanks. I used my *new* trolley jack and two short planks of wood to support the engine under the sump. Worked a treat!

I've fitted a new alternator (week or two before the starter) so the battery should be charging well. I'm planning on buying a multimeter at some point, so I can test the battery. Do I just put the multimeter terminals on +ve and -ve to check it?

What should its voltage be, engine off and on?

11. Richardshoes Forum Member

12. Jay 16V Forum Member

High
    I had the same prob , and did the same things as you , ie , new wires and terminals to no great affect , i changed the battery and its never done it again?. Its worth a go??. Good luck

13. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Thanks Jay. I must stress that I have replaced the battery-to-starter wire, and this has solved the main problem. It's only sometimes that the starter motor still slows during turning over.

The battery is relatively new I think. I'll check the receipt. I could be wrong, and it could be a few years old.

Richard, thanks for the link. Looks very useful! Will first buy myself a multimeter and check out the battery power.

14. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Just checked the receipt for the battery. It's not even two years old yet (Bought Dec 05). It's a GSF one that the previous owner must have fitted.

The problem is still occuring. Not quite as bad as before, but its annoying. Even happens straight after a drive when I restart the engine. Would a battery of that age struggle to hold charge, even straight after a drive? (Note: Brand new alternator recently fitted)

15. paul_c Forum Member

Disconnect the coil and see how the engine spins over, then let me know how this goes.

16. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Coil being the ignition coil? Hard does this work exactly?

I'll give it a go tomorrow if I can.

17. paul_c Forum Member

It works by windings of differnt number of turns being in electromagnetic proximity to each other, but that's not important.

Yes, disconnect the ignition coil.

18. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Right, I think I need to raise this thread again as I'm still having problems.

I've replaced the battery, alternator, starter motor (used) and battery-to-starter wire. I've cleaned the earth, starter motor and alternator connections and copper greased them all.

The engine starts fine when warm but if cold, I still sometimes get a delay between turning the key and the engine turning over.

Any idea's?

19. paul_c Forum Member

Sounds like ignition switch faulty.

20. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Would this be faulty when cold?

It sometimes (but rarely) does it when warm too, but its common when cold. The engine will turn for a split second, then delay, then turn as normal.