The mk1 scirocco is mine!!!

Discussion in 'Scirocco' started by Gareth83, Jan 20, 2006.

1. superden Forum Addict

Bingo ... I knew I`d seen it somewhere before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ebay :thumbup:
    Edited by: superden

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

got the link for that?? den

yeah thats out the guys front, I was there this morning!

he put it on just to get a feel for its value.

3. superden Forum Addict

No link, its not a recent auction, it was quite a while ago.
    Edited by: superden

4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

i think it was about a year ago.

it's a really clean car. he said he had people ringing him telling him its not a storm and he replied it says it on the logbook which it indeed does!!

It's well sexy (can a car be sexy? [:$] )

5. superden Forum Addict

Looks good to me, the pics are from my personal collection [:D]

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

got any more den??

7. capnahab Forum Member

mk1 sciroccos are propper-70's-copper-chasing-a-villain style, I love em :clap:
    Edited by: capnahab

8. Unknown Forum Junkie

Interesting.... its got early (inset) indicators and late plastic bumpers. I cant remember the dates from the top of my brain right now but the indicators (and corresponding wings) were changed to wrap around types long before the storm came out, they ditched chrome bumpers, door handles at the same time. Also they changed the seats from 'tombstone' (one peice backrest with fixed headrest - like the 911) to more regular type at a similar time. I'm not saying its a dodgy one, its just not matching up for me with those details... I stand to be corrected, its been many years since I had anything to do with Mk1 sciroccos.

Back in the day when they were lots of mk1 sciroccos, everyone used to advertise them as Storms even if they had the factory leather option, it should have a BBS lower spolier at the front as well to be 'all present and correct'

Be very very critical for rust and check the inner wings the base of the windscreen pillars and the scuttle as well as the usual arches. Parts for the very early ones were hard come by 12-15 years ago. I flogged a well rotten and fillered one for a score, then!

Top car though, get it you'll love it!

9. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

According to the RAC Vehicle Data that car is registered 31.12.1977, which makes sense as it has the early non-wraparound indicators. It also does indeed come as a Storm and the colour as black.

Howevevr, the Storm edition wasn't introduced until August 1979 so nearly all are on a V plate, with a handful on a T plate - and all were fuel injected. In fact there were no RHD injection Sciroccos at all in the UK until mid-1979. Up to then, the only RHD Scirocco was the earlier TS or the later GLS - both carb engines.

Also, the mk1 Scirocco was never available in black.

Don't be fooled by the Storm being on the logbook either. You can still get the DVLA to amend pretty much anything, even now. Only 2 years ago I got them to change the VIN and number of doors on a mk3 GTI V5.

I've had several Storms and they've been noted either as GLi, GLi Storm or (most common) Storm H. My current one is down as a GLi but is in the Storm only Schwartz Metallic.

The one you've pictured should also have chrome bumpers being a 1977 model.

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

it's got the front spoiler.

i'm not that boteherd really if it's not a storm. it's like the campaign purists, the most important thing is rust (or lack of it) and a good engine.

I think 800 is a fair price regardless of Storm or not. I think it's a steal. The wheels have got to be worth 200 alone

11. coolasacucumber Forum Member

Looks cool!

My mk1 is a Feb 1978 S reg.

Not too keen on the wheels or the rear spoiler - but then I guess you would be changing them anyway.

I do, however, love the exhaust - it looks ace!

12. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

If the underside is in as good nick as the outside then 800 is a good price. Apart from checking absolutely everywhere for rust (take a torch!!!)the only other thing I would check is the quality of the conversion - at some point it has been either converted from carb to injection OR LHD to RHD.

Like you say the wheels (which are wayyy too big for a mk1) are worth a few bob and that upper hatch spoiler will fetch big $$ in the US.

And if you do buy it I know of someone with a spare parcel shelf.

Edited by: mr.brown

13. Unknown Forum Junkie

I'd not be bothered either, just get it and enjoy it! Chrome bumpers suit the indicators better I reckon but finding them might be a bit tricky. And bugger the purists, a lightly tuned 1.8t or 2.0 16v would be incredible in that!

Great little cars [:D]

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Wel it runs alright so I'm sure its been done properly.

I think the Mims will be going on anyway as at least I know the tyres are good.

Exhaust, yeah i loved that too. No room for a spare wheel though. (weight saving anyhow!!)

I like the spoiler too!! but easily removed I'll imagine.

15. Jeff Forum Junkie

a 16v would be more than passable!

purism is one thing, but if the seller knows nothing about the non genuine bits, it makes ya wonder what else he doesnt know / wont say...

16. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I have a 1.9 16v in my mk1 Golf so I'm sure that could be arranged ;)

17. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I've known the seller since I was about 13 and he's genuine. And if it does fall apart I know where to go [:D]

18. superden Forum Addict

One or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might have one of the interior but I`m not sure if its the same Mk1 ... does it have cream leather ?

19. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

nope black leather, but has a cream roof.

so maybe it has indeed been retro fitted.

but this is my bothered face [:D]

20. crozo New Member

<DIV>Very nice I love it ;)</DIV>