The Mk2 R32 conversion thread.

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by 1990, Oct 2, 2011.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you can do a way with the oil level sensor
    even if you are using mk4 clocks you can code the clocks so it's not used with vag_com

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if the cut wires are blue/white, black/white and brown thats the electronic speedo sensor

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think your right there, there is deffo a brown and a blue/white. Should that go to the gearbox?

4. rubjonny

yeah you need it if running electronic speed say mk3 or mk4 clocks, if mk2 then you dont need it so cut it back, just make sure the black/white wire is insulated nicely so it cant short out

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Im running a MK4 sender in the 'box so the MK4 plug fitted straight on. Works fine with the MK3 VR6 clocks.

6. 1990

Great! Thanks for the tip:thumbup:

I'll stick with the mk3 one I think with my lack of a plug. What plug did you use on the reverse light switch?

7. oburT6RV Forum Member

I assumed cutting the rear mount down is to make the engine fit under the bonnet in a MK2, so didn't do that to my Corrado. I don't do cutting things down. If parts don't fit in the car as intended, they don't get fitted.

The 4 motion manifolds if they are AUE ones need quite a bit of hogging out to match MK5 R32 head ports. After 6000 miles since conversion, I've decided the UM DP is not very good after all and I will be reverting to MK5 manifolds with modified MK1 TT DSG downpipes.

8. 1990

I tired and failed to start it today.

It turned over but didn't fire up. I pulled a plug and they were dry. There was a spark.

I tested the wiring for the fuel pumps and they seemed to have 1.5v with the key turned and 9.5v with the engine turning over.

I didn't get as far as pulling a fuel line off because the garge was closing but there was a small drip in the banjo connection to the pump under the car. I'm going to go back after work one night with some new fuel and see if its flowing through.

Any ideas?

[edit] Also the clocks did nothing at all, no clock, milege or lights.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. rubjonny

9.5 is a bit low, either relay is duff, battery is quite flat or some kind of wiring problem. clocks which ones are you using mk2 or mk3?

10. 1990

The battery has been sat on the floor behind the car for a year but showed 12.4v and does turn the engine over easily enough, its only an 063 though, theres a bigger battery there off a diesel clio that I could try.

Which is the fuel pump relay? Theres also a few Mk2's there I could borrow a different one off to test although the only one with an engine that actually runs is an H-reg 16v.

I'm using mk3 VR6 clocks that were fine when removed, also a year ago[:$]

Am I right thinking the fuel supply has nothing at all to do with the ECU, its just the pump, rail and FPR the keep the pressure there and the ecu controls the injectors??????????????.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. MUSHY 16V

pipes on the right way round ?

12. 1990

I'm pretty sure they are. The mk4 fuel rail has an arrow on the return which runs back to the brown valve type thing on the top of the fuel pump then back to the tank.

The one from the tank goes to the bigger connection on the pump, then out of the pump on a banjo fitting, into the filter then onto the fuel rail feed

13. mat-mk3

Can you hear the fuel pump prime on the first turn of the key?

14. MUSHY 16V

yes the return has a arrow on it

what pump are you using vr6

15. 1990

I'm not sure about the in tank one but the under car one is a corrado one I bought off Danster, its the type that previously had an accumulator on the side but thats been removed. Its got a new genuine filter, the type without banjo's.

I'm not sure I heard the pump prime, i'd probably say no but can't be sure. First few attempts I didn't have the under car pump wired in to give it chance to fill up, then when I saw a drip on the outlet of it I connected it up.

I think I need to have the fuel lines off to see whats flowing where.

16. MUSHY 16V

aye you get two sizes of lift pump on the mk2 15 and 19mm
    the bigger is k-jet and it's the inlet and straner thats bigger
    not sure if it will make much difference ever way in your case which one you used

17. mat-mk3

Taking the pipe off and turning the key is a 2 man job. You will be surprised how fast it pours out so it only needs a quick flick of the key!

18. 1990

So how exactly is the fuel controlled?

I thought that the key triggered the fuel pump relay which allowed the pump to prime and then once the engine is started the pumps gave the fuel rail pressure regulated by the FPR. I then thought the ECU would open the injectors and allow whatever fuel it needed through. Is that right?

PhatVR6 asked if I was using the mk4 relay plate, as far as i'm aware i'm not using that and I haven't swapped any relays on my fusebox during the coversion. Do I need to?

19. mat-mk3

Did jonny do your loom or did you take his guide? Are you using the MK5 ecu?

With the MK5 ecu I think the pump prime was when you open the door, you might need to wire that in or wire it to the switch for it to prime correctly.

The MK4 relay plate is a long plate that all the lives connect to and it has a couple of relays on it. No need to use it really.

20. 1990

Andyout did my loom and removed the immob from the ECU. Its a mk4 ECU with mk4 wiring on a mk5 engine.