The one that tried to get away ....

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Nicko, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Nicko Forum Member

Had s lightly productive day
    Managed to 90% split the rear beam with just one snapped stub axle bolt. Had a go at drilling out but drill bits weren't man enough.
    Stub axles and carriers have been wire wheeled ready for paint, gearbox has had two coats with just one more to go

Not the best picture but a before and after of the mk4 rear callipers
    (only picked them up yesterday)

[​IMG]

Had a go at the tailgate as well

[​IMG]

Just needs a skim or two of filler and ready for paint
    Keen to get the 'frenched' one off (It'll be up for grabs if anyone's interested)

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Nicko, what piston sizes are these?

3. Nicko Forum Member

i will have a check tomorrow - they came from a mk4 golf

4. Nicko Forum Member

The rear beam refurb is coming along

[​IMG]

GTI axle - sanded and painted
    Mk4 Callipers - sanded and painted
    New pads
    New discs
    New bearings
    New stub axle bolts
    New calliper carrier bolts
    New Calliper bolts
    Powerflex polybushes
    Goodridge braided conversion hoses

Just need to make up the hardlines and will replace the bleed nipples as well

5. Nicko Forum Member

Another piece to the puzzle

You down with OBP?

[​IMG]

Yeah, you know me (not a lot of people have got the reference yet :) )

Decided on ditching the servo and swapping to hydro clutch so opted for a floor mounted pedal box.
    I had my eye on a bare pedal box on eBay but went above my limit, then a few mins later found this one. Brand new and never fitted (just dusty from storage) complete with master cylinders and reservoirs.

Now all the brake lines will need replacing and planning on running through the car instead. The hard lines are nearly made for the axle, just need to fit the ends and they've been wrapped in heat shrink for some extra protection. The rest will get the same treatment

6. GAD

gad Forum Member

Who's down with obp.... lol

7. Nicko Forum Member

A few bits more have been done and now decided to take the car off the road to fit the new engine, gearbox, pedal box etc
    Had a go at tackling the standard tailgate as well and hasn't come out too bad for a temporary fix until getting the body worked on further down the line

[​IMG]

All from a rattle can and needs a bit of flatting and polishing but doesn't look too bad considering
    The electrics have been passed back through and a new boot lock has been purchased and fitted, all that's left to do now is fit the glass which I'm not looking forward to

[​IMG]

'Frenched' boot lid removed and the other is now fitted in place
    If anyone is interested in the 'Frencehed' one it is up for grabs

I'm really not normally a fan of red cars and this one does stand out (in my eyes) more than the usual tornado and mars but still hankering for a colour change
    Playing with the idea on Monza Blue but this won't be happening for a while with everything else that needs to be done.
    Focussing on the chassis first and then hit the body after

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Car is really coming along well then.

You do sound happy with its progress I see.

9. Nicko Forum Member

Thanks buddy - means a lot given what you're achieving

Looking for the time to whip out the old engine, tidy the bay a little and drop the new motor in
    Still need to fit the pedal box, rear beam and Porsche front brakes however still on the hunt for someone that can machine done the current adapters to run 280mm discs

10. sports racer Forum Member

Go for it. Red is only for old men wanting to recapture their youth. lol

11. Nicko Forum Member

Haha That's brilliant
    This is probably the only colour red i like and with it not being a true GTI red and with the car being chopped around a fair bit i figured blue was the way to go.
    The colour change won't be happening for a while yet as going to concentrate more on chassis upgrades and getting the new motor in before committing to bodywork

Had some spare time recently and decided to bolt the freshly painted gearbox to the engine

[​IMG]

Still need to tidy up the brackets and the shift tower but planning on getting the engine as close as possible to complete before replacing with the current one.
    Trying to make sense of the OMEX loom is interesting so will be asking questions when it comes time for that

Getting the floor mounted box in is going to be interesting and probably need to get a mobile welder to tack in some brackets for it then onto finishing the braking system once the handbrake cables and beam to body flex-hoses have been purchased

Recently picked up a spare rear small bumper for ... 1 and planning on deleting the number plate recess from the front bumper to give a tidy look

Slowly but surely it seems to be coming together

12. Nicko Forum Member

Bit of an update

Managed to get the standard tailgate on and replace the 'frenched' one

[​IMG]

Still needs:
    Polishing
    Back to black on the plinth and spoiler
    GTI boot lid vinyl
    Number plate lights
    Number plate

It's a start at least and got the rear glass out to be replaced with the green tint so it all matches up

13. Nicko Forum Member

So the number plate lights turned up yesterday and couldn't wait to get them plugged in.
    Decided on a set of motorbike/kit car LED number plate lights so set about drilling them in and wiring them up

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with how bright the lil buggers are
    The number plate is now mounted up as well so only the last little bits to finish off
    Solder and wrap wiring
    Polish
    Black vinyl surround
    Back to black the plinth and spoiler

Little closer everytime

14. Nicko Forum Member

So after scanning through and seeing some very tidy dashboards i decided to have a go at mine

Picked up a tidy dash and removed all the vents in preparation
    I'm going to order some carbon sheeting to make new switch mounts (toggle style) and looking to convert the standard clocks to one of the all in one digi systems

[​IMG]

Ordered up one of these kits

[​IMG]

Decided on Light grey as going to change all the interior colour again
    The door cards were only a temporary measure to look presentable for this years shows

Once i get some time (and pester the mrs's dad) i'm going to knock up some flat cards and trim, removing standard door handles and side pockets

Also i had some spare speaker grilles and as i won't be running dash mounted speakers decided to attempt to smooth them

[​IMG]

The plan is to vinyl wrap them once finished to match the rest of the dash
    They still need more sanding and another skim but it's a start at least

I've never attempted this flocking malarkey so waiting for the mrs to lend an extra set of hands to apply the glue and the flock in the short time frame you have to apply it all

15. Nicko Forum Member

well...
    First attempt and what a ballache - it's going to need a couple of coats to build up a decent enough layer but also think that i didn't use enough adhesive

Waiting to dry and onto round 2

16. Nicko Forum Member

Second attempt and still looks like sh"t
    Going to sand back and waiting for sample fabrics to come through to order a alcantara trimmed piece to finish it off

The excess flock will be collected and used on some smaller trim pieces but really not happy with the finish on the dash. Happy with the light grey colour choice though so i guess there's a silver lining to everything

Also - last night i got the original grey carpet down from the attic - I kept hold of these from when i first bought the car and swapped out for a black carpet. This is now incredibly worn and looks horrible.
    The grey carpets should (fingers crossed) be getting wet vacced today and will start removing the interior this week to replace

17. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Where are the pics?

18. Nicko Forum Member

As per request for pics

All instructions were followed
    Apply adhesive
    Apply flock, blow off excess and reapply for better coverage
    Leave to cure for 24 hours

I brushed my finger across to check the finish and all started to peal off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dash was lightly sanded to key and rubbed down with white spirit to remove any contaminants.
    Whatever happened, something went wrong and not happy with the finish

onwards and upwards

19. Nicko Forum Member

Had a bit of an eventful day

[​IMG]

I had the use of a wet vac so decided to clean up the original carpets

[​IMG]

They came out really well and was amazed and how much gunk came off them
    Next up was stripping the interior to swap the very worn and tired black carpets

[​IMG]

Scrubbed and vacuumed the foot wells and fitted some new underlay (not really essentially in the back as there are no back seats)

[​IMG]

Had a look at fitting the pedal box and started mocking up a bracket for it. Still in need of a welder to fit said bracket but once the positioning was decided upon I mocked up an internal rear brake pipe. This is now wrapped in heat shrink and unions fitted

Need to order some P-clips for the transmission tunnel and waiting on the T piece to start mocking up the rear hard lines
    Only Handbrake cable, 2x flexi hoses and new mounting bolts needed to swap out for the new disc conversion

Slowly getting there

20. Nicko Forum Member

So the new cooling system is slowly arriving (Well the header tank and final bits are arriving slowly)

Pug 205 Rad
    2x 9" slim fans

[​IMG]

Try and overheat now you *******

Raided the parts for the mk1 and found a few metal coolant hoses to get them all mocked up.
    Car is now on axles ready to start coming apart and all unnecessary parts headed for eBay to fund the latest parts

Sourced a new shifter which is coming with a not needed gearbox but will upgrade the mk3 shifter gear to the later style mk4, which after doing some research seems to be the one to go for

A quick trip to J-tech put me onto a new system of ITB's so thinking of deviating from the DTH route

Does anyone have a weber etc 16v manifold up for grabs?