The Reeves Mk1 - 2006/7 rebuild, Spa vid p18, Ring trip p24, PVW cover car Jan 2011

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by A.N. Other, Aug 2, 2006.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

No video has yet been done, though the guys on last August's Club GTI 'Ring trip were treated to some raw bumper cam footage in the Pistenklause restaurant :thumbup:

Thing is, an in-car lap of the 'Ring has been done so many times, it's basically a generic piece of footage now. We've seen everything already, from amateur Touristfahren to Hans Stuck in the E46 M3 GTR, Radicals and more. You will simply not get to a higher level of tunnel vision!

If I were to produce a vid, it would take me a fair amount of time to make something that engages beyond that generic level of raw in-car footage.

Unfortunately I set the bar a bit high for myself with the Spa video!! It still stuns me when I watch it - I've no idea how I produced it that well!

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

chris there's in-car, then there's in-car in the reeves mk1, two different things. I for one couldnt care where it was taken i just like watching the reeves mk1 on full song over taking other cars

the spa footage is epic and gives me goose bumps with the speakers wound right up lol

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Spa one is mega but would be happy with any ring video just to watch Reeves lines & how the mk1 handles & speeds along.

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

dare I say bit of the footage of when a young Miss on the trip was driving ;)
    You had to be there !!! :lol::lol:

The sound is very good, I also advise watch it on 50" and huge speakers:p

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

^^ This!

The thread's just ticked over 100,000 reads today :thumbup:

6. 16valver Forum Member

Come on Chris, just get the footage up!!

Yeah, the trackday vid type thing is a little boring as everyone has seen the same stuff before, but this is a different type of car that lots want to see.

Un-edited Nordschleife Reeves mk1 raw footage (onboard or bumper) from the moment the engine fires up to when it stops would be the sh*t.

Cheers :thumbup:

7. numbnuts Forum Member

yeh i recon i could quite easily get a pettition going for you to post up that footage;)

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

This.

9. NeoMKI Forum Member

i'll happily pay for the raw footage from start to end...$20.

10. samfish

samfish Forum Member

Just read this thread. Great to see the build. I would love a passenger ride!

Interesting to see the rear suspension strapped to reduce droop - and stop the springs falling out of position....

Why dont they use helper springs? It will mean you can keep the short springs in there, and the desired ride height....
    Keeping any droop with help traction too, wont it?

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The original logic for the straps was just to keep the springs in position, as < 10 years ago > the car had a habit of making bangs at the rear coming out of corners and it was the springs dislocating/relocating. It didn't do anything untoward, though did have the occasional spinning habit, which got blamed on this, even if it was inconsistent!

Helper springs would do the same job, no particular reason not to use them, just simplicity, but a strap does mean droop can be altered. If you look at some of the pics I took at the Golf GTI Championship last weekend, it's possible to see different droop being employed, albeit in that case via damper stems/internals, as droop restrictors aren't permitted.

Droop and traction also depends on the roll stiffness of the beam, but if the inner wheel is about to lift, some fine tuning of the rear can be done through altering droop, though to increase droop with any effect implies that the spring is pre-loaded, which I'm pretty sure it's not. Increasing droop beyond full spring extension may have some effect, but as it's not sprung, it's only damped. At this point, it's starting to boggle the mind!

It has no effect on ride height.

12. samfish

samfish Forum Member

:thumbup: Thanks.

I was trying to understand why you would want to limit rear droop (apart from keeping the springs located)... Maybe lifting a rear wheel is a good thing, as it reduces rear grip and helps combat understeer.... Or it has a benefit on the rear ARB.... or the 'hung' weight of the lifted wheel has an affect on weight distribution compared to drooping on the ground.... Starting to boggle too now [:s]

I was using some very strong helper springs on the front which i thought would help keep the front wheel on the ground when drooping - essentially making the set-up spring loaded.... I think it worked. i also needed them to keep the short springs located. It compacted fully when the weight was back on the damper. The rear is obviously different because its not independant....

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This is why it's altered, essentially fine tuning the rear. The Mk2 Golf GTI Championship has this conspicuously, because they are not allowed to alter rear geometry.

If they are run-flat helper springs, they won't pre-load a main front spring or create a dual spring rate. Once extended, only the damper is controlling traction, but it's unlikely - kerb jumping aside - that the main spring becomes totally extended, since there is a load of weight in the front of a FWD car.

14. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I'm not sure what 'run-flat' helpers are, sorry.

So the mk2's are deliberatly reducing droop at the rear to keep that inside wheel off the floor - and reduce rear traction? Interesting. Looks like they need some more back :lol:;
    http://www.golfgti-racing.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1062

Same as the Revves mk1...?

My front damper/spring arrangement meant that the spring was fully extended and risked loosing location on the platform - when pushing through the corners. I tried jacking it up to mimick the lean. ha
    The helpers are very strong, they are nowhere near compressed when jumping on them, so I imagine they will help extend the damper during droop. If you drive over a very bumpy rutted surface slowly, you can hear the helpers opening and closing - closing with a small 'bonk' as they extend and compress quickly :o So they must be pushing the wheel into the tarmac....

I have helpers on the rear too, but they are weak ones - when jacking the car up, it can take a while for the rears to droop....

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Run flat helpers are springs around 8 lb which just locate the spring at full extension. Normally they're crushed flat.

It sounds like you have helpers on the front which do not run flat.

16. samfish

samfish Forum Member

...they do, they do! totally crushed when the car is flat on the ground :) Ill have to get some pictures.
    I had to change when I put the other dampers in though, as they where 30mm tall when compressed, and I needed that suspension travel back!

17. mec82 Forum Member

I dont think droop on the rear will affect handling much. the grip generated is proportion to the vertial load on it and this is dictated by weight transfer and roll stiffness. When theres no vertical load on it theres no grip so as far I can see its irrelent whether its on the deck or in the air.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It does do something! On a linked beam it can create behaviour akin to that of an ARB, by picking up the inside rear earlier.

19. mec82 Forum Member

If your experience says otherwise that's fair enough, just trying to understand the physics behind it. The point I'm making is that just because a wheel is touching the ground it doesn't mean its producing any grip. for a wheel to lift the spring has to be fully extended which means the load on it has to be less than zero. No load means no grip.

think about this...

2000lb hatch, rear corner weight might be 400lb, if you have 400lb/in springs on the rear (and 600lb/in front for simplicity) then the car will 'sit down' 1 inch on the rear springs when static. Surely that means you could only ever have 1" droop?

If there's any more than that, then the spring isn't in compression, and no vertical load -> no lateral load.

you could increase the droop with a helper spring but the rate is so low that it can't generate any meaningful load. you'll still get 1" of droop where the spring is pressing the tyre down and doing something, the rest of the droop is pointless.

Maybe there's something going on in practice that I'm missing but theoretically I don't think it has any effect.

I dont think the beam being linked makes a difference, if anything it means that roll will reduce the load on the inside wheel and cause it to lift, thats the beam stiffness doing that though not the droop.

was great to see everyting cocking a rear at curby, got to love a bit of tripod action. :thumbup:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I agree with this entirely, but it is not the point I am making :thumbup: