The Reeves Mk1 - 2006/7 rebuild, Spa vid p18, Ring trip p24, PVW cover car Jan 2011

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by A.N. Other, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Glad I took the night to catch up with this thread.... once I started reading , I couldn't stop . The writing and details here are a credit to you.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

3. benny Forum Member

Cool pic! Track looks wider on the back than the front? Or arches deeper on front? :thumbup:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It could have a set of (hubcentric) spacers on it there, I can't be 100%. I thought I'd posted OE Mk1 track dimensions, but I must have them in the pipeline still somewhere [:s]Anyway common in FWD, as std the front is wider than the backs.

If it has spacers in the back, without getting the calculator out, it's likely to be fairly square.

I don't know when/where that photo was taken? Brands likely though.

5. Mr Dallas New Member

Hope the Trevor reeves from Croydon mentioned on the news with regards to the riots an his business in croydon being burnt down isn't the same one :(

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  7. Mr Dallas New Member

Reading up on the furniture stores site I'm pretty sure it is them as can't believe theres to many Maurice reeves in Croydon with a son called Trevor :(

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

9. harryvr6 Forum Member

One for chris eyre! Info on reeves mk1?

Hello, having poured over the reeves re build thread a while ago, and unfortunately with the reeves family being in the news recently, I've been thinking about their very special cars and what they stand for (seen the spa video- unbelievable!), they obviously like their vw's ! Are there any more video clips of them in action at all? I take it the actual 'details' engines/power outputs are to remain secret! Has anyone had 1st hand experience of these cars at a track day?, I wonder hue many Porsche and Ferrari drivers have seen a little red golf in their mirror and thought 'how the ****?...' !!
    I for one really hope we see these cars in action in the future, more importantly I hope the reeves family get everything back up and running in their business as soon as possible, and wish them all the very best. (I know there is a separate thread relating to the riot attack), like I say all the v best to you all, thanks harryvr6.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

chat to the reeves chris and get them at the next event to do a load of passenger laps where the passenger pays towards one of the rebuild croyden charities, also get the media involved

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A lot of information was put in the PVW article, January 2011. Maximum power was 466bhp @ 1.6bar. I personally had a hand in compiling the information, to ensure it was correct and allocated to the right car, as there is so much crossover between that an the sister Mk2 at times.

In terms of other video footage, I have some Nurburgring footage, but it has not been put up for various reasons, one being time to compile it - I set myself an awfully high bar with that Spa video - and secondly time chasing at the 'Ring, which is a double-edged sword in any cold light.

In terms of experiencing these cars at a track day, many folk have had the insight, fewer have had a ride in them. They are extremely fast cars, they need great care and skill to extract speed out of them, and there are very few faster cars they come across. Chris Harris, then-Autocar, now Evo, drove the Mk1 at Bedford in 2003 and the look on Maurice's face as the car was driven and Chris's face as he came in stays in my memory.

The last week's activities have given me some time for reflection as the Reeves endure the situation with their business. I have watched, since around 1997, these Golfs gradually take on anyone. I remember speaking to Maurice in 1998 or 1999 at Castle Combe as he was eyeing up a short-wheelbase Audi Quattro sport to see if he could get past it - with the 2l 16v engine which is now in my car. I thought he was mad.

I mean how possibly could a Mk1 Golf take on a 4WD rally monster? To me, slightly naiive perhaps, but not a lot wiser than the rest of the trackday set, it seemed faintly ludicrous. However, I quickly learned he was very serious. Soon after, I saw the Mk1 destroy a Ferrari 355 at Wroughton in Swindon. At the time, my brain could not compute the messages or the reasons why such exotica was given such a hard time: the Mk1 was simply mind-blowing.

Fast forward a decade, and all manner of the finest machinery has been left in the wake of a Reeves Golf. Someone was looking down on Maurice when PVW went out shotgun in the Mk1 and a Supercharged Ariel Atom was on track - never inevitable, but it was duly caught and passed.

Rambling at bit, but back in 1998, I'd never have predicted these Golfs would go as fast, or as far, as they have.

Good idea on the charity rides Mike.

Thanks for your best wishes, the Reeves have had letters and flowers pouring in, and I'll pass your message on.

12. harryvr6 Forum Member

Fantastic! That's a great reply chris! Just what I wanted mate! I love that mk1 even more now and I've never seen it in the metal! I had a feeling it was responsible for hammering some Italian trash! Ha ha! That spa vid had me grinning like an idiot! Didn't maurice overtake some works ferraris uphill at spa on another occassion?!
    Blast! I didn't have a clue about pvw doing an article: is it still available as a back Order at all?
    I've never met mr reeves but I'd like to shake him by the hand and wish him all the best, a true, and unique vw legend . I'm buzzing off their cars, the driving too is phenomenal, and that just adds to the aura of this combination of first class machinery and brilliant driving. Thanks for the info chris- I'm truly over zerstorer now ! I'm also very pleased that we are able to forward our goodwill messages through yourself / this brilliant club and website, thanks again, all the best harryvr6.

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ from PVW site

doesn't seem to be available but I'm sure someone would give it to you or sell for pence

14. mk1. Forum Junkie

be nice to see it go round the Top Gear track to see what time it can achieve:thumbup:

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I suppose if it's sold out, PVW may not object to a scan being put up? [:D]

17. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Worth checking with the magazine tbh, and also worth checking if the magazine own copyright to photographs within the article, as most Photographers retain all rights and merely grant editorial clients Single UK Usage Rights, usually exclusive for 30-365 days.

18. SKI

ski Forum Member

Should be fine with the mag tbh,

How much power is this putting out exactly?
    and torque?

Cheers

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Power mentioned on the previous page:

Torque is 400lb/ft.

I will ask what we can do with the article, as it is so recent :thumbup:

20. SKI

ski Forum Member

Thanks,

Now i just need an engine spec list, along with gearbox and LSD :lol:(although we do actually have a fair bit of info on the gearbox).

I will one day build a mk1 with a similar power output,
    Cant quite work out how it can put down so much power the maths doesnt work out, unless the engine is mounted slightly forward, and i guess slicks probably help.
    In the video's ive seen, it looks quite hard to drive though, and a bit out of control.
    off the line aswell he seems to ease it through 1st.