The Reeves Mk2 - Spring '08 refurb + history. First UK 1.8T Mk2 ?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by A.N. Other, May 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Looked good as usual, was going to pop down for the day and catch a few people but work got in the way.

Will miss updates on this and the Mk1 as well!:(

2. JWYATT Forum Member

What does it use brake system wise ? Ie the original load valve or inside manual bias control its got the four pots up front and really interested in how its being regualted to the rear , I had beyond a near escape with mine the other day but don't think I've needed to brake that hard in the past 3 years and the back came right round ,

I've Read so much into the bias valve threads and thought well if anyone has this issue dialed it'll be the reeves mk2 :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And oldie, but a goodie - from 2002:

[​IMG]

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Facebook chatter this evening suggests this car was one of the first - if not the first - Mk2s in the UK converted to 1.8T.

It was running at the CGTI Blyton event in April 1999, but the previous n/a 16v engine was on the market in late 1998 suggesting a winter 20v conversion by the late John Jones:

- others in the discussion were fast working on installs but had yet to turn a wheel.
    - the Reeves Mk2 uses an old-style external water pump block, so sourced from the Passat (which had been out since 1996), not the Mk4 Golf GTI (1997).

5. micky1 Forum Member

my old mk2 valver "RYU" sorely missed :( had a lager pully off a passat, stealth did all the work on that and it worked a treat, less assistance, more feel.

6. murph81 Forum Member

Do the Reeves lads post on here at all Chris?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mainly myself Adam, certainly all to do with the posting of the cars anyway, but Maurice (in particular) reads in a lot when there is good content :thumbup:

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Blyton, 1999 !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

When/how did you get involved with them Chris?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi Tris, since 2000.

The Mk2 was bought in 1995.

Tristan likes this.
  11. mayor west Forum Member

Sorry if this has already been covered, i have googled but i cant seem to find it. Is there a spec of the car anywhere? Specifically the brake / wheel & tyre set up?

Thanks

12. tom.rich Forum Member

I thought is was on slicks and a set of the same 15x7 mega-rare Dymag wheels as the Mk1 / Chris's Mk1 but there's every chance I'm completely and totally wrong, mind...

One thing troubles me on this page though, Mr. Infinity and Pascal have both said "updates will be sorely missed". What's happened?? That's gutting!! :cry:

Oh and no disrespect to anyone curious of spec, I'm just as interested and I hope Chris will shed some light on it, but generally speaking it's worth remembering just how much of the speed is down to the standard of driving and quality of set-up. Which is why people put together "technically superior" cars and go much slower than these gems [:D]

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks for the interest guys :thumbup:

Brakes-wise, these are the items fitted to both cars:

Indeed Tom, slicks and the wheels are the same / very similar Dymag wheels as on my Mk1 :thumbup:

It's definitely a combination of > 17 years of development, getting the maximum out of what is there and being unafraid to exploit it at the speed it comes :thumbup:

But the 'technically superior' other cars I've not really seen. There are some very nicely presented cars, but when you delve, then the 'function' spec really emerges.

14. tom.rich Forum Member

That superior line wasn't intended to be limited to VAG circles, or negative at all, just from the time I mentioned the other day (which another thread seems to support, although I won't mention it as it's still inconclusive) puts it in front of some fairly serious / even bigger money cars I've timed :) Just a testament to the Reeves, the cars and the development :thumbup:

Excellent info as ever though, much appreciated :thumbup:

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, I see what you mean now! Yes indeed :thumbup:

16. mayor west Forum Member

What size are the discs? I currently have 312mm discs with Porsche calipers but i not sure if its worth down sizing the disc so i can fit 15" wheels. Do you think its worth the extra hassle for the sake of 15's rather than 16's?

17. tom.rich Forum Member

The very nicely prepared and very capable Ben Packham / J-Tech Mk2 is on 16's, just as one that sticks in my mind, and there are plenty of other Mk2's that I've seen work perfectly well on them so I wouldn't sweat it :thumbup:

18. zimzimmer New Member

absolutely awesome machine....Chris have you got a tech spec of whats been done under the bonnet also a rough power figure?

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi Zim, cheers for your interest in the cars. The engine has an aftermarket turbo, steel rods and aftermarket pistons, plus the very important Supertech valves, as when big boost 1.8Ts were being developed a decade ago, valve heads were dropping off. Power is "adequate" !!

20. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

This car often looks low, and in the thread it has been referred to as being to low.

Does it run ball joint extenders? or any modification in this area?
    Sorry if it's been mentioned in the thread already, I did try to find the info.

Thanks