The Reeves Mk2 - Spring '08 refurb + history. First UK 1.8T Mk2 ?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by A.N. Other, May 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. TimE-J Forum Member

awesome piece of kit! I really like the video posted earlier and I'd love to see this in the flesh!

2. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I think anything to do with the Reeves cars is always interesting in one way or another.

It just seemed odd was all, the fitting of the the dive plates would suggest a look towards gaining some aerodynamic assistance. Althought the fitting of a splitter would compromise the subtle looks of the car.
    I always thought their cars would have be trailored to events, goes to show you learn something new every day! :lol:

3. stuartstaples Forum Member

That is a dream mkII :)

OK, so I can see that the engine has great power for a relatively light car. I've read that the coilovers are pretty trick and I understand from reading about Mr Reeves driver history, that he can obviously hustle it very quickly indeed.......so what else goes into a mkII to make it this fast?

Does anyone know the power to weight ratio?

Does anyone know what set up the rear end uses suspension wise?

I know the track is wider front and rear, but does anyone know by how much? (Overall track width)

Inspiring stuff and wonderful encouragement for someone whose just bought another Golf after years of powerful rear and four wheel drive track cars.

Thanks for sharing

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi, thanks for your post - it makes doing the thread worthwhile :)

I can answer some queries... (edit: and I've waffled on a bit, but I hope it's interesting!)

The front end is the standard Passat wide track. Wishbones, shafts & longer steering arms.

I can't remember the rear end track width - I think it has stub axle spacers. Other than that, it's a Mk2 Golf rear end - nothing strange or refabricated about it.

This is all simple stuff.

The point you've touched on - driver experience - counts for an awful lot. It's a big turbo 1.8T, therefore it delivers a lot of performance. Putting this lot down when there is a fundamental excess of power for the grip needs a fair knack, and at the extremeties, there is an awful lot going on to then extract full performance, and keep it all under control. Pushing outer edge of the envelope is hard work.

It's a while since I've driven this car, but Trevor used to strip 4/5 seconds a lap off what I'd do. That's 30 years motorsport experience!

Probably my best memory of this car is Feb 2007, whilst driving Trackcab's Mk1 at Donington and having Trevor come past in hot pursuit of a Ferrari race car. I kept off the racing line and these two came past on a proper mission. Sadly the camera in the car I was driving wasn't working, or we'd have it for posterity! The guy in the Ferrari was trying his hardest to get away - I think the Golf got past on the pit straight and then the red flags were up. Anyway, that's when being armed with a load of experience must be so useful:

For a lap commentary of Donington, I wrote this back in '07:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1370742&postcount=624

Bringing across a few pics from that day, as they're lost on the other thread:

5. stuartstaples Forum Member

Thanks Chris :)

I'm delighted that such simple changes can imbue the car with the potential to go that well. I have built/owned/driven a fair amount of track cars over the years and the recurring keys to success seem to be power to weight, reliability and seat time. Learning to press that hard in anything will take plenty of practice, that's for sure.

Do you recall any particular issues with understeer? Interested to know your thoughts around quelling this; surely the camber alone would not be enough to knock this on the head? (Or is this the driver experience bit? I've not driven a front wheel drive car for track purposes since an old Integra type R and that had a posh diff)

No idea on predicted kerb weight then?

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I can't remember what it weighs - looking at ballpark weights here, it'll be high 800s, or lower 900s. Fibreglass bonnet and boot, plastic windows and a lot of excess brackets removed.

It'll understeer if driven clumsily. Heavy feet and the fronts will light, so that's inherent, but it just requires a smooth approach - keeping smooth at the outer edges being the hard bit, and being prepared to collect resulting slides. Obviously it's got a diff to help it pull, and it's been carefully set up over several years.

This car is more prone to understeer than the sister Mk1 but it is far more benign to drive, being wider and having a longer wheelbase.

7. 1550samn Forum Member

what is that MK2 runnig?? its damn quick!!! (lot of respect due to the owners/builders :clap::thumbup: )

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I also remember this day, all you could see from the pit wall was race Ferrari & Golf, which ever order they went out in they seemed to pass by :thumbup: not much overtaking going on [:D]:lol:

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

was my camera [:^(], i decided to run it off pauls cigarette lighter only to find out there was a fault with the connection sorry.

was an awesome day.

10. JWYATT Forum Member

how are you running so much front camber ? have i missed some adjustable top mounts in the thread?

Also were did you get fibreglass bonnet/tail gate , i can only seem to fine semi carbon fibre ones with the fibre glass underneath for strength,

Joe

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It has adjustable camber plates - may be pictured in the thread earlier.

It came off eBay, though the seller has since made a complete nuisance of himself with another Paid Club GTI member, so I won't give a recommendation.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

13. JWYATT Forum Member

The top suspenion turrets looks exciting , my friend has done the same sort of thing if its the following , have you cut and welded them higher like ( herman Munsters Head) flat top with the adjustable mounts so its lowered the car to a certain degree without making it spring bound ?

Joe

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The Mk2 ones haven't been, but you can do that.

Race circuits don't require huge travel, but if suspension travel is an issue, then chuck the bump stops away firstly, then either raise the top mount or rebuilt the dampers specially with shortened bodies.

All the while, you're fighting driveshaft clearance on the inner wings and front end geometry/ C of G issues, so there are other limitations at play.

15. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

I'm loving some of the comments, it's all about the stance!

16. JWYATT Forum Member

on the first photo of the thread ,i see the front wings/archs looks exicitng i was wondering if you had any close up or details about that , as im in major need of somehow sorting mine out so it doesnt rub , but i cant afford to get them rolled , i've had the hammer/grinder out sort of cured the fronts, just the backs now ,

How are your backs running in that first photo , not after all the body shop work ?

I've got loads of perfect sheet steel for doing some DIY so i'd be very interested in any info you have about that ,

Cheers Joe

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The first photo has standard Mk2 arches and G60 spats, cut upwards.

The backs were similar and cut/rolled. Rolling backs is hard work, usually involving a hammer and the paint suffering, followed by paint and replacement of plastic arches.

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A bit of an update on the Mk2, which has been in for more fettling, and rather clever too.

[​IMG]

One 3-pedal Mk2 - now you see it:

[​IMG]

... now you don't:

[​IMG]

Pictures are taken ~5 seconds apart.

The interim picture:

[​IMG]

What's this all for? Enables the car to be driven clutchlessly, facilitating left foot brakery.

This is the control box:

[​IMG]

Made in Italy, instructions and control box (right) for fine tuning:

[​IMG]

Electronic clutch ECU:

[​IMG]

And mission control:

[​IMG]

• bike brake lever previously fitted, akin to what's seen on rally cars, pull for reverse gear, except in this instance it's to lock out first and second too, to avoid costly missed gears.
    • flap in front of the gear knob controls the clutch (arrowed)
    • red button not in use yet, but could be wired as a "go boy, get the Porsche" boost button :p
    Huge thumbs up to Mark who devised the pedal arrangement, ingenuity which totally stopped me in my tracks when I saw it for the first time. Both pedals hinged, the large brake pedal being a pedal-on-pedal, all using springs to hinge and rock then over into place.

Drove it home from Brands totally clutchlessly the other week [:*:]

Ended up driving a lap of the 'Ring almost clutchlessly in my Mk1 three weeks ago, not by choice but doable! Not so good without this gadget!

Incidentally, G-reg GTI....roof panel:

[​IMG]

- no sunroof, reskinned back in 2000 when it went up to GSE (Gordon Spooner) for a weld in T45 cage.

19. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

This car is amazing. Best mk2 i have seen in terms of track performance. :thumbup: I have got a black mk2 im building into a track car (slightly pov spec in comparison :lol:) this is great inspiration,

20. coullstar Forum Member

Now that is is uber cool. Would love to have something like that.