TSR 4-branch manifold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Elijah, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Elijah Forum Member

Link to the TSR site:-
    http://www.tsr-performance.com/metal.html#inlet

BrandsHatch is quoted as:-
    The ideal engine upgrade for all fuel injected Golf, Scirocco, Passat or Audi models. A 2.0l short engine fitted with our Pack C big valve head and a choice of 270 or 280deg Eurotech camshaft produces nearly 50% more power than a standard 1.8l engine.
    These 150bhp engines will put the fun back into your motoring without sacrificing flexibility, reliability or economy
    Edited by: Elijah

2. Goldie Forum Member

I have a TSR 4 branch on my mk2 16v. It's exactly the
    same as a Milltek 4 branch!!! Might be cheaper to
    buy a milltek...
    Edited by: Goldie

3. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

zoid,

on road performance is great, better than the figures on paper may suggest. I've outpaced mk3 vr6s to the ton and 16Vs are easy pray :lol:

I was v happy with it, but it is a lot of money, when a 1.8t isn't a whole lot more...

4. Elijah Forum Member

Thanks, lemming.

Makes it sound like it'll def be worth it then!
    Will let y'all know what i think once done

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

i have an ansa and its been on both my 2.1 engines & its still going strong, i did have one of those flexi-knuckle joints fitted (the one with the 2 large springs) & got the exhaust made at Longlife in cardiff which when custom made it sits up into the car better than any off-the-shelf one.

6. vealige Forum Member

The Magnex one looks a lot different to the standard one on a 16V.

I've got a pic of both they look identical, even the flange connection the lot. :)

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Not quite im afraid.

A O.E 16 v downpipe has a silencer box in it for starters...

You are probably thinking of an O.E 8v downpipe. Whilst the flange connection looks the same, the Magnex crucially doesnt have the flexi joint of the original, hence why they keep on cracking [xx(]

Absolutely chuff design IMO. Thats why I bought a proper Supersprint system! ;)

A Magnex 4 into 1 will look remarkably similar to any other 4 into 1 seeing as they all have to fit the same car. :clap:

8. VR6Will Forum Member

The TSR Manifold is made for TSR by Miltek, i did talk to miltek before buying my manifold, they will only sell them to TSR, might be different now tho

9. Southy_GTI Forum Member

I expect TSR then add 70 to the price.

10. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

and the rest Southy :lol:

11. zoid Forum Member

I recently got to drive a 16v for the first time last week, it was a 1991 with 103k and full VAG history. Obviously it's quicker than a 8v but I wasn't very impressed, was expecting it to be faster. It needs revving hard to get it moving quickly and the engine seemed noisier (maybe because of its 16valves) and seemed less refined than an 8v. I know I be much happier with a 2L 8v, and I'm sure it would be a fair bit quicker as a road car than a standard 16v, the only bad thing is the cost involved getting it done [:s]

12. vealige Forum Member

Yeh a 16V is completley different to drive then an 8V, you have to drive it differently to an 8V. An 8V is lazy to drive in comparison to a 16V. What i mean is you can ponder about in any gear and have plenty of poke. I've always found the 16V a more involving and enjoyable drive. You keep a 16V above 4000rpm and REV IT, don't be afraid, then you understand why they are addictive. The whole essence and point in buying a GTI i thought was for it to be noisy and interactive. If you wanted it to be refind then why buy a GTI?????????????? Not having a go or anything i've just never understood peoples concept of buying a Hot Hatch thats soft, refind and luxurious. Sadly VW has gone down this road [:x]

13. Goldie Forum Member

I saw milltek selling there 4 branch manifolds at one
    of the shows. Picked it up had a look, thats when i
    realised it was the same as my TSR one.

14. Rahul Forum Junkie

that TSR brands hatch conversion is overpriced.

Im running a 2litre 8v with a 285 cam and a flowed head similar to the pack c and my car flies with the best of them!

15. zoid Forum Member

Who said anything about wanting a hot hatch thats soft and refined? I owned a Mk1 GTI for 8 years and yes in comparision my current Mk2 is more refined than my Mk1, but still retains allot of the qualities that I loved in Mk1. I was just merely saying that the 16v engine seems less refined, both the Mk2 8v and 16v are very un-refined in comparision to modern cars, which is why I far prefer Mk1 and Mk2's.

16. chrismc Forum Junkie

You only have to look at the figures below to see a 2L 8v CAN mix it....

Expensive.. YES (to do it properly, Big Valve Head & the like), but enormous fun on the road...& KR 16vs' just havent got the torque to keep up point to point..

I personally dont see anything soft/relaxing with an 8v compared to a 16v. With not a lot of power as standard (112BHP), they need to be driven properly if you want to go anywhere quickly...

A 16v is just a totally different drive. I would say an 8v, certainly a 2L 8v is very easy to drive, hence you can concentrate & enjoy the finer points of a GTi, rather than worry about being above 4000rpm all the time! [:D]

17. Elijah Forum Member

I agree with that description - the 2Litre gives that extra torque across the power range, which given that extra from a standing start, without the need to get the revs top end, you get more fun!
    Having said that, there is a noticeable kick in performance above 4100 rpm on my Brands-hatch engine, especially in 3rd gear - would be interested in anyone describing why that might be?
    Going to get the bhp mapped out at TSR next week, so will be interesting to see if the curve reflects the feeling.

18. Southy_GTI Forum Member

What size valves are you running CabrioRags?

19. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Get a 2.0 16v and you make better power than the crazy tuned 8v's and spend a lot less money... You also end up with great torque, great power and a massive useable rev range. [:D]

Chris... may i ask what your avearge MPG is with such a tuned 8v?

20. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Hi Elijah the 4100 RPM kick is probably the induction pulse tuning comin' coupled with the CAM coming into its own - They probaly complement each other pretty well and as a std head doesnt flow as well at the higher RPMs it would be far less noticeable on a STD engine. I done some calculations a few months back and discovered that I really wanted to shorten my inlet manifold a few inches (WRT to runner length) to uppen the RPM that the pulse tuning resonance starts to have an affect but thats a pain (to make up a new manifold that is!) - Still doesnt stop you doin' the math tho :)

I've not driven any valvers but a few 1.8 and 2 litre non VW valvers and havin to stir it all the time really get on my wick - I'd take a tuned 8V any day of the week. In saying that tho a properly tuned valver must be loads of fun.