TSR 4-branch manifold

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Elijah, Jan 8, 2004.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Cheers mate had a laff that day but i still want a quicker 0-60 / quarter mile & cornering hense the new custom 4+e box with quaife diff in early march which im looking forward too, dont do what i done & start with a non gti model as it will cost you a fortune & get the body sprayed before you start pumping money into engine mods as you have to wait ages for the sprayjob after all the mods like me.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Oh yeah and just like people are modding their 8v to go faster than a 16v then think of the difficulty i had in changing a 1.3 driver to go faster than a gti :lol:;)

3. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

ftaimike...

you'll fall in love with the quaife diff :p it really transformed the character of me car. When I had poo tyres on it would still spin up a little tyres in 3rd! After the diff it only squealed a little bit in 2nd [:D] Getting off the line was dramatically improved and the cornering.... [:D]:p[:D]

I became a roundabout addict [:$]

Sold the box and diff only a few weeks ago [:^(]

4. daviddd Forum Member

How much do they cost and where d'ye get one?

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Getting mine from TSR but it is expensive, Im buying a new altered 4+e box with quaife diff fitted for 1200

6. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

mine cost 1300 fitted 18 months ago, that's from TSR.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Woohoo 100 saving ;)

How's yours mate?

8. Elijah Forum Member

Well, having finally got down to TSR today, I thought I'd update you all....

When I got there, they realised I've got a tall block - hence the 4 branch won't fit (might, but would need loads of bending, and would probably knock on the bulk-head)
    After looking at a number of other options, we decided best option was to weld the downpipes flange where the weld was leaking. This's now done, very well from the sound of things.

They also tuned it up for me - timing was a bit out etc.
    Finally, got it on the rolling road, and got a max bhp out of it......

The spec of the car:-
    TSR BrandsHatch 2l 8v tall block engine, with Pack C head
    AMD Chip.
    Magnex exaust, with polished manifold.

115bhp at the wheels - they recon to add 35bhp for the transmission to get the flywheel figure, so...

150bhp at the flywheel.

Bearing in the mind this engine has done about 75000 miles since the 2 litre conversion, and ???? before, I don't think it's doing too badly really!
    Driving it home was a dream, having had it properly tuned, and no leak in the exhaust!
    It had all the performance back that it had three years ago when I first bought it....might hand on to it for a bit longer now.....or I might go for the Civic Type R I'm test driving next weekend.....(I'm waiting for the fruit and flames to come flying in my direction for even mentioning selling a VW!)

Thanks for all the input on this one - just a shame I couldn't tell you what difference the 4 branch made...

Cheers,

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Mine did 122atw @ TSR, which equalled 155.4 flywheel BHP @Stealth a couple of weeks after...

Id say 115atw is about high 140s' BHP @ the fly!

Reckon ure welded Magnex will last all of 2 minutes though!! ;) [xx(]
    Edited by: chrismc

10. Elijah Forum Member

Gee thanx!

I'll be back down there if it goes!

I guess i could go for a complete supersprint??

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Now you are talking sense....

Supersprint or Jetex...job done!! ;)

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Get one from Longlife as mine fits much better

13. Elijah Forum Member

What manifold/downpipe is needed? Does a complete system replace the downpipes onto the standard manifold?

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

i had to use a 4 into 1 ansa manifold

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

Use a 4 branch manifold or the O.E downpipe..

Both Supersprint & Jetex fit like a glove!

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

How can it fit like a glove? you'd have 1 branch left over :lol: :lol:

17. g60 pb Forum Member

Yeah but i don't really think thats an EASY comparison as you put it. The sheds only done 7000miles since the conversion and hasn't been set up properly yet...i think it's got a bit more to come.........OK its not a valver, but its not practical converting a an 8v to a 16v...thats just stupid when you can buy a valver for next to nowt. I went for the 8v 2l because i felt it would provide me with exactly what i needed for my everyday driving...not everyone likes buzzing around constantly at over 4000 rpm. Anyway, i don't have a 4 branch on there, the guy at TSR said it would make a big difference, but there again he would wouldn't he ;)

Just read page 3, missed that bit out :).....yeah Chris, you're right, i think it is poorly......after i got done over at Santa Pod yesterday by a fukkin Golf Driver :lol::clap::lol:....i'm gonna run away and hide from the ridicule now ;)
    Edited by: g60 pb