***update*** think i've cured it!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by ThE_gOg, Aug 29, 2007.

1. ThE_gOg Forum Member

(had another play with the motor today to see if i could put my finger on wtf was going on with this conversion, will carry on on page 4 at the end of the thread)

hi:)

think my 3a bottom end convesrion has blown the head gasket already[:^(]

if i'm honest i think i've messed up the torquing

things is though when i did it i'd say around half of the bolts wen't soft on me just like when a blot head's going to shear[:s]

is this right??

if it isn't and after reading a fair bit on a few sites i think it isn't, i would never have been able to get another 1/4 turn on top of the other one i had done??

i don't mind messing this up as its my first one, but if i mess it up again i think i'll give up[:^(]

so any advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers

Chris

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

you should have tightened them up 2 1/4 turns thou not just one

the clue is in the name "stretch bolts"
    . they're supposed to stretch.
    scary when your doing it for the first time :lol:

did you skim or check the head for flatness b4 you put it on?

3. Rallye_Will Forum Member

They are stretch bolts, when you feel them going soft as you say, that is the bolt stretching!

4. Admin Guest

its scary watching someone else do it to your own engine too.

then having to do it yourself....

5. ThE_gOg Forum Member

cool, no didn't get the head skimmed last time, but will do next time if it is the headgasket.

just done a compression test on all four cylinders and they are at:-

1 - 14 bar
    2 - 13.75 bar
    3 - 14.25 bar
    4 - 14 bar

numbered left to right from the cam sprocket. just thumbing the haynes at the min but can't seem to find any values in there.

but even so shouldn't one of them be drastically lower than the other if it is the head gasket??

cheers

Chris

6. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

tighten no2 up a bit, loosen no3 off a bit.....

7. audiman

audiman Forum Member

No, thats not how it works.

A comp. test wont tell you, you need to do a leak down test to find that sort of problem.

Its all very well the head being flat, but is the block OK?? No nasty pitting around the firerings or water ways?? Did you make sure that both the head and block were clean and de greased?? Also did you check that the headbolt threads in the block were clear of debris and not tight without the head fitted?

But yes they do feel like they are going to break, but if you are doing it right and following the instructions and correct torques you wont break a bolt if all the above pointers are followed.

Hope you resolve it.

PS Are you using the same head that was on the old block? Did that smoke in the same way?

8. audiman

audiman Forum Member

Eh??

9. wildwilliebaret Forum Member

sorry for soundin daft my point was that theyre 0.25 bar off being equal.

10. ThE_gOg Forum Member

so a compression test won't tell me if the headgaskets gone then?? so i've just wasted 25, oh god this conversion has gone past 16v prices and is getting closer to 20v t prices by the minute!![8(]

anyway, the faces were cleaned and degreased, i didn't try a bolt in each of the holes though but they did all wind down fairly easily.

it is a 2nd hand ported and polished head i bought off ebay, it had been cleaned and is in excellent condition, but had not been skimmed.

the old one didn't smoke at all, and i'm begining to wish i'd left that one in now:lol:

i know its not going to work like this but if i give the head the extra 1/4 i'm missing now is that going to make any difference??

i also just bought an up todate haynes and the torque values aren't any clearer in that??

cheers for the help mate:thumbup:

Chris

11. ThE_gOg Forum Member

here's the torque values, this is telling me to go to 75Nm then 1/4 turn right??

[​IMG]

cheers

Chris

12. Rallye_Will Forum Member

You should always go with the figures supplied with the gasket.

13. mookie Forum Member

What manual is that? I went 40, 60, then two 90 degree extra turns. That was the recommended sequence on the 3A headgasket.

14. ThE_gOg Forum Member

that manual is the latest haynes the blue one, and the old 80's one i have is exactly the same??

thats whats driving me nuts!!

thing is like i say my compression seems to be fine so now i'm wondering is it the head gasket in the end???????????

or what could it be, is the only way i'm going to know for sure to get the head off and get it pressure tested and skimmed etc??

cheers

Chris

15. mookie Forum Member

Hope these pictures help. I'm a bit concerned about that manual you're using, doesn't seem right at all, based on those torque figures [:s]

The Haynes Golf Manual, A - J Registration (Petrol) - Red cover
    [​IMG]

The Haynes Audi 80, 90, and Coupe Manual, D-H Reg - Red cover
    [​IMG]

The Bentley Golf and Jetta Service Manual
    [​IMG]

16. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I've had 2 sets of GSF bolts pre-stretch, literally go loose before the full 180deg.
    After taking them out they had stretch to the point where they were going to snap. In fact, I actually did snap 1.
    I bought a set of VAG bolts and didn't have a problem, but the GSF ones were like plastic. I wouldn't use them again for the sake of an extra tenner.

17. mookie Forum Member

I bought mine off AVS, and didn't get the sensation of stretching either. Think they were about 8.50 ex vat.

18. ThE_gOg Forum Member

nice one Mike thats much appreciated mate[:D]

things is i'm using the mk1 manual as mines a mk1 cabby, and i think it has just confused me big time[xx(]

i've noticed a few bits from gsf aren't the best quality, i might start using my local motor factor as they can get anything.

after my compression test though i still don't know what to do to be honest.[:s]

cheers guys

Chris

19. Mike_H Forum Addict

What were the figs from the compression test then? Did you remember to hold the throttle wide open?

EDIT: If it's the ones above, they're fine, but the question is, will they stay that way without the extra 1/4 turn?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  20. ThE_gOg Forum Member

just been out there now for another look round hoping for a ray of light to shine down on me and everything to become clear:lol:

the coolant level has now dropped, and stuck my finger in and it smells of fuel.

how is the fuel (if it is) getting in there?? or is this just from the compression of the cylinder its getting forced through at whatever is the leak point??

its definately not right, so i think its probably best for me to get the haed off and get it skimmed.

get an abf haed gasket, and the inlet & exhaust gasket from gsf, then get myself some head bolts from my local motor factors and get it all reinstalled correctly.

i think this is my only option now really???

cheers

Chris