what car to buy with a 25/30k budget

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by bruders8146, Apr 18, 2014.

1. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Hello. after some advice really.

I'm not sure if this is going to be a one sided debate but here goes.

I'm looking at buying a newish car got a potential budget of 25/30k

Car needs to be able to fit 3 kids and the boss. but very importantly needs to be fun when i'm on my own.

Currently i have looked at.

Mk7 5door golf gti with performance pack. 5k miles 27k

BMW 328i touring 4k miles 5 years service 26k

BMW 330d but this was 35k and too much.

I'm liking the idea of a Audi RS4 but slightly put off with having a car with 50k miles ish and the potential of servicing.

what would you do?

2. micky1 Forum Member

define fun?

i have 2 kids, my solution was a car for the family, in my case a defender 110, could choose a smarter car but we have horses and i have a business so as a tax perk its good and for the wifes persutes its good.

i have an audi a4 tdi s line saloon for work, can be fun-ish if i feel so inclined to break all traffic laws on the rounds at work but its better as a mile muncher.

i have a Fun car, an audi a3 quattro thats heading toward 500 hp and i want to hill climb / track some day.

if i had to put all my eggs in one basket i'd go 525 / 530 d m sport http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-BMW-...6812300?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3f34163d0c something like this and get a real fun car for high days

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

There's a hartage tuned 362 bhp 335i estate on autotrader for 25k. Even has a quaife diff! I'd be all over that!

4. dub303 Forum Member

I 2nd the 335i provided your 3rd kiddie is small! Civilised for everyday duties but my god, they shift when you ask them. I have no plans for a re-map after 6 months, plenty quick enough... but the thought is always there, ha. Good size for nipping about too, not too big.

petrol bills can't be an issue if you're spending that much either, but I average 23mpg on the clock, 23 - 27 according to my app.

5. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I got a nice fully loaded A6'avant audi managers car 6 months old 1500 miles 35000 list paid 26000
    Love the car just can't stand audi dealers[:x]

S line Bose surround sound love it:thumbup:

6. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Reading all the positive reviews, surely a 5 door mk7 golf r should be on the list?
    Just big enough in the back for three?

7. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Yeah the mk7 definitely on the hit list. My plan is to get 3/4 cars that I want to test drive then test them back to back... not keen on the handbrake thou.. im going to check out the 335i also. My only concern is if im spending that kind of money I want something reliable, fast and lowish milage ideally less than 40k

8. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Mk7 all day long :thumbup:

Plenty of boot space, plenty of space in the back, nice amount of power and a great all round car.

IMO BMW's are no where near as refined as the Vw's are. The Golf is such a nice place to be. Sat in my mates m135i, and even he said the build quality of the Golf was much more refined compared to the BMW.

That's just my opinion of course. ;)

9. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

I do see your point Richard I really do like the golf... it has the reputaion to back it up. But along with the bmw they are both on my hit list. I do however not to keen on the 5dr models. And im not sure about the whole family situation..

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Buy a decent Mk2. Easy. [:D]

11. beetie

beetie Forum Member

New seat Leon cupra. Uprated everything On the New mk7, bit like the golf r but without the AWD nor the price tag of the mk7 gti.

12. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

I did have alook today at a 2007 rs4. Must say this has now been placed on the hot spot.. only concern is tyre price.

13. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Michelins for my a6 are 250 each from costco:cry:

14. LukaszGti

LukaszGti Paid Member Paid Member

With rs4 I would have it checked on the dyno. These FSI cars tend not to produce HP factory claims .

15. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

With 3 kids I'd be looking at a 5 series, but unless you have a fortune to spend on fuel get a 530D or even better the M535D - you'll get 40+mpg on a steady family run and still get pretty decent economy going quick. They do going quick seriously well.

If you ever get stuck in traffic you can amuse yourself going through the menus deciding what percentage you want the heated seats to split between seat back and seat base and looking things up on Google....

16. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Thank dex.. just going to google it now. ;)

So far the list for test drives are.

Mk7 gti
    Rs4
    Bmw 328i

As these are the cars from the dealerships locally. Once found one I like. A hunt for that car begins. Unless I actually like the car that I test

17. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Newer model b8 s4 might be worth a look over the older rs4. 3.0 supercharged v6, good power, good tuning potential and not bad mpg either compared to the v8 rs4.

18. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Definitely worth alook...

Im still really confused what to do. I've just been out in the mk2 and I have a massive smile.. I just love it.
    Maybe I should wait until a g60 or a rallye become available. As ive alsway wanted one.. just the whole LHD :(

19. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I never buy tyres at costco unless they have a deal on they sometimes have a 4 for 2

bet you could of got them for under 200 each

i'm alway temped to get tyres from costco i stay less than a mile from my local one so is handy for me
    but they are almost twice the price sometimes so i dont bother now

I have to say i like the seat Leon cupra as well just need to stop spending all my coin on the house or get a new job or both lol

20. micky1 Forum Member

like i said, if derv 530d touring. if petrol, S4 v6 supercharged avant. 25k's worth with 5k to spare for a toy