what car to buy with a 25/30k budget

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by bruders8146, Apr 18, 2014.

1. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

Jaguar xf v8
    Merc c63

2. D4LFR Forum Member

Iv just bought an E92 335D mapped to 340bhp ...you don't need petrol when diesels go like this does. A quick dab of toe soon puts the chickens in check ;)

And you'll still have 10k in your back pocket

Dex likes this.
  3. coullstar Forum Member

Still the fuel of the devil though......

bruders8146 likes this.
  4. Collie Forum Junkie

no but egr and dpf misery comes with dirty diesel

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

The mate who had an M535D touring (well, two actually) bought it so he could take the wife, two adult kids and two German Shepherds from Swindon to Scotland to visit family, while having something genuinely exciting to drive when he was using it on his own. It was as good on fuel being driven quickly as any petrol equivalent driven gently.

He replaced it with a diesel XF and now has an A5 3 litre diesel S-Line, he willingly admits the '11plate BMW was the nicest road car he's ever owned or is ever likely to own. He upgraded the first when the warranty ran out and sold the second for the same reason - although he never needed to make any significant claim. But BMW were very good whenever he found any kind of rattle, squeak etc at taking it in, giving him a nice loan car and giving the car back fully valeted. Which is handy with two GSDs.

The one thing I would say with the BMW is that you don't realise how good the anti-crash is on greasy roads until you try turning it all off and scare yourself lol

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

can be deleted and map tweaked as required ;)

No EGR may mean slightly noisy engine but the upsides is improved MPG and power.
    DPF does trap the soot and can be blocked if the engine is not run long enough at steady state to regenerate this catalyst (Ever seen a diesel car emit sudden plumes of smoke on the motorway [:D])

Collie likes this.
  7. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

I thought some of the newer egrs are also water cooled and a lot more complicated to delete bypass? I may be incorrect mind but I swear I read or was told that?

Problem with dpf delete is there going to tighten the law so it's not possible to do it anymore?

I have a mk6 golf gt tdi and was thinking of remap and dpf delete but the change in law proposed and new mot rules that may be coming is putting me off [:s]

8. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

Very difficult to remove any modern egr valve. Diesels are notorious for being incredibly expensive and unreliable. If I didn't work at a garage I wouldn't ever consider one. Some of the bills we have to hand to customers is frightening!

Collie likes this.
  9. Collie Forum Junkie

currently sorting an s-class out with such miseryes, no remap unfortuately i have to put it all back to factory

10. dub303 Forum Member

How old are diesels generally when they sart to become expensive, is it mainly low mileage cars at say 6 years or older? Only asking as I can only afford nicer cars once they are 6 or more years old and need reasons to never consider a diesel lol, genuinely interested though as 23 mpg is not great when you hear how 'good' modern diesels are.

Do they ever sound anywhere near as good as petrol 6 pots or more?

11. micky1 Forum Member

im old...i dont want any noise upsetting my drive to where ever i go n the country. my hearings fading so slience is golden!

6 cyl dervs a good sound. like a lorry!

40+ mpg...650 miles to a tank is what its all about with work / family life. wooshing along in a auto diesel, riding big glugs of torque and 8 speed autos that are never far away from the right gear to flatten the odd gti.

s4 would be my next choice but 300 to the tank would soon **** me off. when i had the gti and was travelling to a few sites in a day i was filling up daily. and when your on the m42 with the 50 mph signs on its better to be doing 50mpg than 25!

12. Collie Forum Junkie

10 or younger maybe even a bit older but the modern super power /refinement stuff is epically expensive

13. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

After going to the london meet today im tempted to buy a cheapish get around. Say a mondeo. And use the funds to fully strip the golf a give it a fully rebuild.. with a nice engine build.

14. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Spending on the golf will appreciate in the coming years:thumbup: were as the others will depreciate unless you buy very well[:s]

My a6 was 35k new 4&1/2 years old now and worth 12-15k if I'm lucky even with very low miles and FASH:cry:

But my misses likes driving it to the shops and schoollol

15. micky1 Forum Member

thought you wanted a decent family car?! **** letting my kids in a modeo

16. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Definitely going to make my mk2 mint.. just thinking what to do to the engine

17. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Fair point but it was just an example.

18. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds good to me. :thumbup:

Forget the Ford though. Get a Passat or Bora :)

19. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

I was thinking maybe a jetta ;) but then again that would end up as another project. . Yeah maybe a passat

20. G_Whizz Forum Member

Foookin mondeo. Slap yourself boy.

bruders8146 and Richard Mk2 like this.