What do love about your Mk2?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jonk710, Mar 1, 2011.

1. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

We all love them and cherish them but what do you love the most??

The list could on an on but I think my top 5 are

The smell when you go in the garage, they all smell the same - undescribabley good

The purring when they idle, you can tell a mk2 a mile away!

The looks and lines

The joy experienced every time you drive it

Tha fact that the wife never drives it incase she kerbs the wheels.....:lol:

2. Blue MK2 Forum Member

The fact that it looks bad ass :lol:

The red grill - quad lamps [:$]

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

It's a hooligan. Still holds up today as one of the king's of the hot hatch world. As the tw*t in a new Scirocco just found out.

Try this. Pic a spot on a map. Get in the MK2. Avoid A Roads and motorways. Come back and tell me how it made you feel.

4. Admin Guest

Couldn't agree more [:D]:thumbup:

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Damp? :lol:

I love how easy it is to do anything at all on them.

Easy to get plenty more horses out of them thanks to the above.

Obviously the looks, but I think that's just blind foolish love thanks to my first car just happening to be a MK2 by fluke.

I suppose the main reason I've had so many is that they were cheap, fast, disposable motors, but the times have changed - I'm not prepared to fork out 1000's for one and I'm not ready to resign myself to a MK3 so I've moved onto Audi's instead...

They used to be best bang for your buck, but there are much better cars out there for the money these days!

6. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

the way it looks, the way it goes, smilefactor, if only it were a woman:o

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I love the look of the big bumper ones and find it amazing that you can just bolt an engine from a 2008 into a 1988.

8. KentGTiKR Forum Member

It's cheap. But it doesn't make any bad influence while driving, because it's fun to drive mk2. It has no electronics, easy to repair or even mod, it's sensible, giving not a comfort, but pure driving joy, there are plenty parts available. Furthermore it is very fun to have a car, which becomes more more rare on road bacause of it's age. :)

9. trig

trig Forum Member

It's a practical 5 seater with a boot, but when you're on your own on a nice B-road it can make you feel like you're 10 years old. Every time I get out of it, I am grinning ear to ear.

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I love,
    How many other new vag parts can bolt on and improve the car so much for such little money
    How tuff a big bumper one looks
    How capable they are on road and track to keep up with the modern stuff
    I just love mk2s[:D]

11. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

it starts in the morning no matter how long its been left.

12. theboymike Forum Junkie

I love my Tornado Shed because:

It's fast enough / handles well enough to bring a grin to the face, even after owning Mk2s for 6yrs the novelty is yet to wear off [:D]

It's a 20yr old 1500 hatchback but still garns looks, compliments and respect including from those in much more exotic metal who recognise it's place in motoring history.

Despite it's age it feels far more solidly built than lots of modern tinny crap.

It doesn't cost the earth to run and providing the shell stays sound should last a long time and should only appreciate in value. It's nice to know I'm never going to get hit with the modern-car affliction of it needing a new "little black control box" for a grand..

It's a bit different to all the faceless and generic modern dross on the roads :thumbup:

by theboymike, aged 30 and two months [:^:]

13. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

the way it looks, and up until this morning the way it drove[:x]

14. Gibson Forum Member

Its everytime you get in it you know the drive will mean ten times more to you than any modern car can give.

I too love the smell....damp/fuel.

The handling and power always make me grin.

15. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

It's stood the test of time when other 1980's hatchbacks have disappeared. How parts of it were/are over engineered.

16. emery1990 Forum Member

How it gives me withdrawal symptoms, coming on to 4 months without a drive :(

17. Idlewillkill Forum Member

Aside from what others have said, I'd like to add the noise of all the engines. Even my old 1.3 sounded great!

It is the best car VW made IMHO, certainly quick enough as an Edition 30 found out yesterday :p

18. wil892 New Member

Er the fact, my Golf never broke down in 2 years, whatever the weather. It is soo much more engaging to drive than newer cars.
    And people are always nice to me on road :)

Now i've SORNed it to do some improvements over a couple of months, first day driving the 2003 Clio I have been leant, there are idle issues. typical modern cars!

19. gunit-84 Forum Member

i really love the 100's of different ways you can make 1 car look! big bumpers, small bumpers, slammed or standard, quad lights or singles, euro, side trims or shaved! endless looks but all awesome and suit the mk2, and there easy to achieve if you fancy a change :thumbup:

then youve got the same options when it comes to engines and wheels!! considering how many mk2 golfs are out there, they all have there own style and little tweeks from there owners to make them different[:D]

20. Matt48 Forum Member

It's a great car that has done 12k a year for me over 10 years. Only let me down twice, headgasket 171k and fuel regulator 198k now on 228k.

Although I ve gone through recent rain lakes of water and its cut out, so sit there and goes again when dried out. Mine doesnt like water.

1. So reliability
    2. Great response through the gears.
    3. The grief I get off pupils I get at school but a knowing few know a great car.
    4. Posing with all six front lights on.
    5. The simplicity of looking after a great daily car that I am hoping I can put into classic care mode and just drive 3 to 4k a year. But what for the second car a Mk4?

I just hope this original gear box and engine combination keeps going!!!!