Who needs a VR6 when youve got a TDI....

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Bodhi_16V New Member

Aye, that's why all the German manufacturers are in a war to give their cars as much of it as possible (500bhp M5, 612bhp Merc CL65, 990bhp Bugatti Veyron being developed by VW).

2. nuttinnew Forum Member

Of course, the Mercedes has a lightweight normally aspirated engine.
    Any comments on Honda's diesel engine in the Accord?
    WRC cars; turbocharged petrol engines, tuned for torque.
    Engine I've just bought; normally aspirated petrol with bugger all torque but it does breath well, short ratio box, going in a lightened car.

Phat; any ideas why they didn't make it a diesel?

3. AndrewF Forum Addict

vw cup is a ppor example really....it has finicky bhp to weight) rules that mean most cars aren't really develped properly.

but a prototype sports car raced at le mans this season...with a vag based engine. had hardly any developement though, due to the fact they built the car less than 6 months before the race, and thus retired.

diesel racing engines are gonna take hold sooner or later..they just haven't developed the engines enough yet. but the diesels will take over eventually...trust me.

spot on jeff. i was weel aware that a mkIII 16v could be made to be practically as quick as a vr6...but for me, the sound, smoothness, and just having something a little different was my reason to get a vr6. i couldn't really care less if someones mkII 4 cylinder is quicker as i love the comfort a vr6 engine gives...when it works right!
    Edited by: acf8181

4. Rallye Forum Junkie

one of the reasons u dont see as many diesels in racing is that they are massively complicated to map! When was the last time you saw an aftermarket EMS for a diesel?

5. drew Forum Member

Yep, gets my vote too. I'm not saying anything else now! I've reached the limits of my knowledge on the subject. Doesn't stop other people barrelling onwards, but hey!

Cheers,

Drew.

ps. Another of my threads makes it into serious numbers though... [:D]
    Edited by: drew

6. trendy tramp Forum Member

the FSI engines are not about power, they are about refinement and economy primarily, to try and take on one of Diesel's main advantages - fuel economy. if you understood the automotive industry then you would realise that it is a step forward in these areas. do you even understand how FSI works before you criticies it? or has there not been an EVO article about it? :lol:
    You previously mentioned 'adjustability' when you were talking about engines - how am i supposed to know you had delved into powertrain/chassis interraction? And for your information, 'adjustability' is a vague term not used in the industry, but is used extensively to describe chassis traits in glossy mags such as EVO
    and 'good chassis' is a very 'woolly' term - good for one is not good for another. if you were talking about outright performance, the best chassis would take all handling control away from the driver and his throttle inputs to remove the possibility of him stuffing it in a hedge.
    again, your knowledge of next generation Diesel engine shows it is lacking. As i previously mentioned, the new BMW Diesel about to be released will have a specific power output equivalent to that of many petrol engines.
    The Diesel racer at Le Mans was hurriedly put together before the racer and was said to be around 50bhp down on the lead racers. i'd say that is not a lot. Diesel racers will start to permeate more and more into all levels of motorsport, and there's nothing you or EVO magazine can do about it.
    you mention nose-heavy handling - the new Honda 2.2 Accord Diesel engine block is substantially lighter than those of other OEM's due to advances in materials technology. Modern Diesel engines have taken a while to get sorted - massive advances in fuel injection technoogy very quickly have had to be followed by advances in all other areas to keep up. As the technology is understood more and more it will overtake gasoline.
    I suggest you stop arguing, i'm getting bored of answering your incessant and poorly referenced statements made on here [xx(]

tt

7. trendy tramp Forum Member

another fine thread Drew ;)

tt

8. trendy tramp Forum Member

apologies for por grammar, it should have been "If you're talking about NVH, Diesel suffers at idle" - note the comma

pilot is an early, small injection that prepares the cylinder to accept the main injection and start the combustion process more quickly. it helps to reduce the massive pressure rise when combustion starts during a single, large injection event, reducing overall cylinder pressure levels.

rate shaping is the shaping of the injection event(s) - changing injection rate vs time. in port injected gasoline engine sthe injector is eother open/closed - in diesel the level of opening can be varied

cheers,
    tt

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

I think diesels will be very formidable drivers cars in the not too distant future, but at the moment people buy them for their economy, not anything else.

The technology is getting there, but its not quite there yet IMO. This thread has totally proved that quoting bhp and torque figures is meaningless (yes even the torque figures are, because the gearboxes change all that anyway!) so the only proof for me will be when diesels start out performing petrols in a less obscure way than "my diesel is faster than your petrol if im going at speed and in gear y" - which we all know in the real world happens, but then after the next corner you'll be in a totally different set of circumstances.

10. Jeff Forum Junkie

oh and TT you might as well be writing in greek as far as I'm concerned! Flux capacitor anyone? 1.21 gigawatts? :lol:

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

has anyone took their TDI down the 1/4 mile? apart from that fella with the white mk2 and mk3.....which are actually BLOODY fast, shame about all the soot that belches out of the back.

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

there was one at inters last year, a standard mk4 TDI 130 I think. got left behind by the equivalent petrol engine :p

13. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

At GTI International in 2002, they were running standard 150bhp Mk4 Golf TDI's up the 1/4 mile (about 4 of them), they got mid to late 16sec quaters, about the same as a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v.

14. prof Forum Addict

totally non techical response, but i followed a diesel merc in to work this morning, and it was faster than my 150bhp mk2.....mind thats not saying much :lol:

15. Rippsy Forum Member

Bhodi, I think you'll find a lot more people would listen to your arguments, if it showed a research area beyond an Evo Mag.

Trendytrampy, well put

now for the love of god

THE END

16. drew Forum Member

Not wanting to prolong this any longer than necessary.. :lol: ;)

I just had a ding dong on the way home in my Audi A4 TDI 115 PD, with a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v.

Utterly equal in every regard. He couldn't pull away from me, and I couldn't get past him - on a mix of b-roads, a-roads and a short bit of motorway. Perfectly matched cars in performance terms, though my suspension was a bit more rolypoly, but hung on surprisingly well (16" 205/55 tyres).

I reeled him in on the motorway though, 5th gear acceleration is the TDIs forte over these short geared GTIs!

I passed him on the motorway eventually and we had a mutual nod of respect, he was eyeballing the back of my car though, probably wondering what I was driving now my TDI badges have been pinched!

Cheers,

Drew.

Edited by: drew