My Mk2 GTI 8v progress thread - Got married

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by i.a.n.b, Sep 8, 2007.

1. LEON 8V New Member

where did you get the front and rear GTI badges from my local volkswagen dealer say they can no longer get them ?

2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Good second hand ones mate.

Car on the cgti stand at Stanford hall today:

[​IMG]

3. paulyb Forum Member

Alrite Ian, nice pic, you got anymore of the day? Good show?

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

5. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

New ignition switch today to try and sort a starting problem, think its going to need a starter though, time will tell, thanks Nealey for texting instructions because I struggled! Also replaced the indicator stalk while I was there to try and fix my lights, its had that, a head light switch and that resistor by the airbox so again time will tell.

Call me an idiot but after all the hours and money Im getting very fed up with this car and all the niggles!

6. nealey Forum Junkie

Its only ever going to be niggles with the car now Ian, you have done all the major stuff!

7. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

oi! i do believe i was the first one that told you to club the shaft with the hammer.... admitedly it was more so i could see what happened but thats not the point :lol:

now all you need to do is pop round and fix mine...

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Took it for a spin this morning, always makes you feel better about it.:lol: Also cleaned up my battery cables and terminal on the starter motor, see if that helps my starting problem.

Skinty we'll be on yours in a couple of weekends, I put this much work into your car so I want to see it not start and blow its self to pieces!:thumbup::lol:

9. paulyb Forum Member

My 8v was a bugger for starting when hot had to hit the solenoid with a hammer at its worse point, did all the things you have done Ian, but a new starter sorted the problems.

10. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Expect thats what I'll end up doing, may look at a diesel one. Just odd, problem started after Stanford hall, the first click on the key primes the pump and the second does nothing but to make it fun it only does it now and again.

11. paulyb Forum Member

Sounds the same as my fault solenoid sticking in the wrong position, was a bit dodgy carrying a hammer in the drivers door pocket!

12. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

keep a couple of feet of wire in the glovebox just incase. that way you can turn the ignition on and bridge the small starter terminal and the +ve battery terminal to get it going if you get stuck. worked on my e-reg 18 months ago.... still does infact... [:$]

as for my engine, its going to have to be after Le Mans now :( I got about 16000 words worth of assignments to get done in the next 2 weeks before I leave + 2 exams! :o[xx(]

13. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Just read this from start to finish, awesome build!

14. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Thanks Quiksilver.

Pulled my finger out today and sorted a few niggles. Screwed my sub box down after years of rolling around the boot. Re-seated the boot lid seal that wasn't put back down correctly after the bodyshop visit, even had a little tinker with my boot latch as the boot always takes a few slams to shut, only takes one slam now!:lol:

Then took the trumpet out of my airbox as suggested to me at the Stealth rolling road yesterday, (thanks Alan), makes a lovley noise now when you boot it. Might chuck a panel filter in there now.

In other news, I've booked it in at Stealth to get this fitted:

[​IMG]

Also have this tucked away in the garage:

[​IMG]

Its powdercoated and fitted with new genuine axle bushes. Not sure it will be on the car anytime soon, money and time is getting tight with my wedding in September. Want to make a good job of it when it goes on with new brake lines and compensator.

15. nealey Forum Junkie

didnt you already have a panel filter or did you sell it again?

16. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Sold it.[:$]

17. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Serviced today and sorted the play in my rear wheel bearings, another niggle ticked of the list thats been on there for years!

18. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Had the vernier pulley fitted at Stealth on Friday.

[​IMG]

Was a little dissapointing on the day, first run before it was fitted only made 130bhp, 5bhp down on what it made last year when Vince set it up. The only change to the car has been the trumpet being removed from the airbox. With the vernier and some setting up I came away with 137bhp which is better than ever and drives so well so can't be dissapointed with that.

I'm not chasing power figures but I'll be putting the trumpet back in and be very intrested the next time cgti has a rolling road day up there so see if any of my 5 return.:lol:

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

A further 2bhp from removing the snorkel and optimized cam timing sounds about right to me

Was the first 130bhp run done on neutral (stock) cam timing?

More importantly, how is the torque curve now? Any better?

Torque gains are what you will feel on the road!

Refitting the snorkel won't gain you anything. I suspect your missing 5hp was due to timing being slightly out. The fact you have gained 7bhp from the visit and it now makes more than ever should be pleasing...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

bit more induction noise... cool!! or is it a bit too much for you now?

is the noise as loud as my car?