My Mk2 GTI 8v progress thread - Got married

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by i.a.n.b, Sep 8, 2007.

1. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Looks great, keep it up:thumbup:

2. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

amazing! how much did that lot set you back?

3. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Initial quote was knocking on for a grand. Cash money and one of the guys doing it as a private job got it for 350.:lol:

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Update from last weekend before I get stuck in this weekend.

Started by giving it a good clean and polish, amazing how dirty it was considering its been in a bodyshop! Dust and overspray all over. Then dug out my pile of new bits, 4 brand new arches, 2 new sill covers, lots of rivets and fixings and another new set of wheels! 15" RA's.

[​IMG]

Got these for a steal from a local guy, he'd repainted them and they look good. Fitted some Uniroyal 195/50/15 rainsport 2's ages ago, get them cheap as chips from work.[:D] Next I repaired a broken earth on the filler neck and refitted the rubber boot. Looks perfect now under the fuel flap.

[​IMG]

Then riveted the black plastic arch trims on. Sounds easy but was a long job. Put the sill trims on and its starting to look like a gti again! My front bumper had a broken side runner clip so drilled the rivets out and screwed on a runner from a non gen bumper found in the scrapyard, fits perfect now and for the first time ever the lower bumper spoiler lines up with the arche trims.:) Reffited the back bumper and all is looking good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side trims and oem touches to come this weekend.

5. beetie

beetie Forum Member

good stuff ian you on the stand at inters.

if so i'll see you there:thumbup:

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looking great.... white is the best when freshly painted. you taking the car to inters yeah?

7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

:o black is best

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Oh come on guys, we all know Oak green is best but its just so rare!:lol: Im not on the stand at inters, infact unsure if I'll even go yet. Its not been that great a show for the entry fee imo over the last couple of years.

In other news the car passed its mot this morning.:) Now just got 45 minutes left at work till I can get home and get cracking with it.:)

9. mk28vICED Forum Member

awesome Ian puts mine to shame now...!

10. nealey Forum Junkie

Looks lovely Ian, will no dought see it in the flesh soon

11. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the positives guys, better update on the weekend just gone.

First off the side mouldings were grey, so used some Carplan Black trim wax on them, its spot on, real thick wax that you can work well into the plastic, they look as black now as the new trims, just hope it lasts and doesn't run when I wash it. So banged them back on and then dug out a pile of bits.

Orange indicators,
    Badges,
    New wipers,
    Centre caps,
    Wheel bolt caps, etc and put it all on.

[​IMG]

Fitted pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I even replaced the door handle insterts.:lol:
    [​IMG]

So the car now looks pretty mint and bar being a bit lower pretty standard too.:thumbup:

Then on Sunday morning I did an oil change and a problem returned from the last time I changed the oil! The warning light and buzzer go off at about 3k.[:x] Last year I replaced the sensor and it just seemed to sort itself out in the end. This year I've got a dashpod on the way to try, my work is just never done.:(

On a positive note I may have sorted what I thought was a tiny oil leak. Ever since the engine went in there has always been a drop of oil on the front cross members and on the sump. Well had a good look over the block and all is dry, started to clean the weap of oil up and wipe it off the pas pipes under the filter and then I clocked it. The corrigated plastic sleeves on the pas pipes where full of oil, I guess from drips from 18 years of oil filter changes, have taken them off and cleaned them up. Leaving them off for now and keeping an eye on it. Fingers crossed.

With any luck the dash insert sorts the oil pressure issue and then I can start enjoying the car again.

12. nealey Forum Junkie

Lets hope that the dash sorts it! Have you still got that 160mph dash or was it just the speedo part you have?

13. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Just the 160mph speedo I have lying around in the garage. Just going to plug the dash insert in and see what it does before I worry about swapping speedos and adjusting the mileage to read correct. May need your assistance to do that.

14. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Still can't shut the buzzer up, however to be safe I did a pressure test Tuesday just gone and again all was fine so........took the car to stealth today and just unplugged the dashpod.:lol:

I've wanted to get the car running perfect for a while now so booked in it for a re-map. The first run it got 125bhp but was pinking all over the place. Vince tinkered around with the timing and the next run was 130bhp. Next was the re-map.

After some drama and concern about the ecu blowing, (we thought), saw me and Skint golfer hammering it over to Sandburns to pick up an ECU in Stealths new project car, a Corrado VR6.:) Sandburns where there usual sack of crap help but thankfully Vince in the mean time managed to sort my ecu.

So some more tinkering and playing with a laptop the last run gave 135bhp, improved delivery throughout the range and its now amazing to drive, pulls from any speed in any gear like a train. May only be 10bhp on paper but the way it delivers has me chuffed.:thumbup:

So a big thanks to Skint golfer for keeping me company all day, and big big thanks to Vince at Stealth, hes been brilliant all day, can't recommend their services enough.

My graphs showing first and last runs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a pic of it on the rollers being mapped:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  15. nealey Forum Junkie

Its mental hearing someone drive it on the rollers aint it!

When do i get a go then?

16. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

It is mental, the noise is crazy, a little worrying too. Lol. Got used to it by the end of the day. If not next weekend you can have a go at the meet. I'll warn you it will make you rush back to the garage to crack on with yours.

17. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

And now I've even fixed my oil buzzer, what a good week!

I had tried everything over the last couple of weeks, dashpods, sensors, earthing the loom, did another oil pressure test etc etc and all with no result.

So this morning I got a new piece of wire, connected one end to the sensor, choped the loom on the dashpod end and connected the wire I've put in. No buzzer, what a relief. The original wire must be snagged somewhere in the loom but not to worry, I've run the new one in nice and neat now and all is working.:thumbup:

18. beetie

beetie Forum Member

nice jump in torque since the set up

now get down santa pod tomorrow and see what it can do.

19. Adam_16v Forum Member

looks excellent mate and that's an impressive result from the work at Stealth

I'm jealous...... look forward to seeing the car :thumbup:

20. mk28vICED Forum Member

nice one Ian, sorry didnt get back to you about the dashpod, I was in Las Vegas and not got one anyway! had a non gti one but got nicked when my proton got stolen couple months back.
    the improvement at stealth looks good the band of high power is much wider that before.
    I like the torque curve +10 all the time!
    might let vince look at the racecar sometime.