My Mk2 GTI 8v progress thread - Got married

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by i.a.n.b, Sep 8, 2007.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

Give us a shout if you need a hand to refit it!It wont be as easy to do that as it was to remove!!:lol:

2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Sure I'll need a hand mate. Will let you know when the rust it sorted. All these white twins! White is the new oak green I guess!

3. nealey Forum Junkie

Ian im surprised you have let all that dirt build up on the rear panel

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

On the lower valance? Think its wax. Unsure if its better left protecting the paint. Sure it will get the better of me before the bumper goes back on.

5. nealey Forum Junkie

Yeah on the valence, i think now ive put the thought into your mind that will be gleaming by next weekend

6. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Built the tailgate up, everything is swapped over ready to go back on.

[​IMG]

7. nealey Forum Junkie

good work, when you off over easter? I think ive got the friday off this year otherwise im free over the weekend

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I'm off Friday to Monday so we'll get it back on then.

9. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Good Friday turned the garage into a bodyshop!

[​IMG]

With some help from skint golfer we ground the rust round the tailgate opening back to bare metal, primed and then sprayed with a rattle can. Bodywork isn't my strong point it seems , result is a bit average but its much better than the rust.:lol:

[​IMG]

Today with the help of nealey got the new tailgate on and all the electics working. Re-set the wiper to the correct upright position. Really pleased with it, looks ace.

[​IMG]

A scrapyard raid found a non gen front big bumper where the side runner clips are screwed in, so those have come home to repair my saggy front bumper.

10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

:thumbup: good man

11. mk28vICED Forum Member

nice one Ian coming along well mate!
    wish i had the time to sort the similar rust situations on my white golf but will never match the paint so prob never get it done.
    whats next for yours?

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

looks good, like the badge on the back as well

13. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Hi Seb, next up should be the long awaited bodyshop trip, and a lot of oem touches, including the rear badges going oe so you can steel my idea RIP-MK3.:lol:

14. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Going to the bodyshop the end of May, even going to drive it a bit, insured it as of Saturday and will be getting tax first thing that morning, looking forward to getting behind the wheel and reminding myself what all the effort it for.

15. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Off to the bodyshop next Saturday so got some final bits and bobs sorted today. Drilled out a couple of rivets left from the arch trims, gave it a quick clean and finally got round to inspecting the offside inner arch as suggested my jamiehol on page 9. Well to inspect it had to clean out 19 years of mud from the filler neck! What a mess. Pulled the rubber insert out and between a brush, a hose pipe and a screwdriver cleaned it all out, the drive behind the car looked like a field.

Fuel flap all cleaned out:
    [​IMG]

Filler neck all clean:
    [​IMG]

Clean arch:
    [​IMG]

Pleased to say the inner arch is in good nick, no serious rust, just a little in behind the fuel flap. Did find a earth wire thats connected to the tank securing bolt but was swinging in the breeze the other, can't see anywhere to connect it to, guess that bit may have lost to the rust.

Anyways its all ready to go for next weekend now.

16. Pete Taylor Forum Member

awesome stuff [:D]
    Coming along nicely!

17. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Long time since you last popped in to see me mate, hope all is well.

Dropped it off today, bored now as theres just a big empty space in the garage. Housework for me I guess this weekend.:(

18. nealey Forum Junkie

So it could make some shows this year then?

Can you ask the guy about painting that wing for the lad at work

19. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

It may do, at least e38 or something like that later on in the year, although I fancy VW action this year which is the same weekend I think.

Will see what I can do on the wing, if I can repair that broken bumper clip I'll get my front bumper painted at the same time so should be able to sort a nice cash money deal. Will let you know.

20. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I picked the car up Friday and I'm buzzing! For what I paid which wasn't very much the car is looking awesome.

Some pics:

Wiper blank
    [​IMG]

Fuel flap
    [​IMG]

Rear taillight - 1/4 panel
    [​IMG]

Rear valance
    [​IMG]

Arche
    [​IMG]

Sill
    [​IMG]

They have fully painted both 1/4 panels so looks brilliant. Need to polish the roof and bonnet a little to help them catch up as there the only panels not to see paint.

Very awkard to photograph but they have also fitted a top tint windscreen for me.

[​IMG]

This weekend has been so busy cleaning and putting trims back on, will update on that shortley.....