10k boost

Discussion in 'Engines' started by FABVR6, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im not sure it made any difference on mine but i did it so long ago. i did get a wierd lumpy idle but i think thats the ISV anyway which would be unrelated.

atf trick is a goodun though, ive done it for the last 3 changes (maybe 4).

after 6-7k miles, my oil was still clear ;)

ill have to put up a pic of inside my cam cover, basically bare metal in there, no dirt in there at all.... worth having a look in yours. ive seen inside a few now, so many mucky ones out there.

was thinking about doing it on my GF's metro... but not sure i could trust the good ol K series not to fall apart lol

2. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Well i've bought a massive bottle of redex because it's one offer at Halfrauds so i've put 3/4 in the tank and saving the rest tonight to pop in the plug holes. Had to go out again and noticed my engine temp was upto 98 so I thought i'd give the water another go... 2 pints later.. still no difference [:x]
    Hopefully the redex overnight should break it up a bit and the temp will be up when i get back from dropping the wench off at work in the morning so I can try the water again. I reckon another oil flush and change after all this will be required!

3. Pete Taylor Forum Member

The inside of my cam cover is gleaming, I put some valve treatment in and ran it for a while then put some oil flush in (supposed to put it in and leave the engine running for 10 mins, wheras i drove it for 5 miles with it in!) after that a big service was done on it (plugs, oil filter oil change, gearbox oil change, fuel filter change) and it's now spanking clean in there. Shame about the piston crowns really!

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mines filthy too. not sure how to sort that or whether its worth doing

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

If it's oily stuff then the water won't shift it - it breaks up thick dry carbon deposits, not wee bits. A black piston crown is entirely normal, as are wee black bits - it's the really heavy deposits that cause you trouble.
    Redex might shift it, but I doubt you'll notice any difference even if it does.......

6. jon-mk2 8v gti New Member

Does anyone have a picture of the right vac pipe to use not sure. also although this is cheaper is using 10k boost doing the same thing. not great round an engine and this stuff sounds simpler(i think)

cheers

7. jon-mk2 8v gti New Member

oh i have 92 8v digi

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive no idea about your engine, but put up a pic, there should be a few hoses to choose from

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

I just actually got some de-choke spray for 1 and sprayed the whole lot in my mk2 1.3, saw a lot of soot come out [:D]

But also got a one of those flower handheld sprays from B&Q and on a fine spray, sprayed the water into the carb inlet directly. That was good too, just made sure the engine didn't bog down too much, it only stalled once.

After that my car was much better, but only in the sense that idling was better and cold starts/rev's weren't so spluttery

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

im planning on doing this again soon (about a year later).

im going to use the vac hose for the PCV. this joins just before the ISV, which branches off to the 4 cyls evenly. i doubt using the nipple by the throttle body works too well. the water will pass through in a just and go straight to the furthest cylinder.

by decoking the valves, will this mean the seal better too, in theory?

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nah, the valves seats stay pretty clean anyway - they get a lot of battering, so they seal well. It used to be a problem years ago with bad petrol, poor valve seat material etc.
    Use the throttle body nipple, btw. Rev it up and down, so you get a variation in the vacuum to make sure it gets everywhere. I have lost count of the number of cars I've done this on now. Some it works a treat on, some it makes no difference. Yours being a "special" car and looked after I would think you will get minimal results - but it's never done any damage.

12. Pete Taylor Forum Member

I'll give this a go at some point matt

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

with our engine, i think the hose by the ISV should work good as it splits evenly between the 4 cyls. i think last time i tried it i ended up with water in the other vac hoses lol

14. steeldonkey New Member

recon you could run neat redex through the vac hose? that should shift some crap

15. gibbo300 New Member

can someone enlighten me on the ATF trick?

16. gibbo300 New Member

ok i will ask again !!!!!
    can someone enlighten me on the ATF trick?

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm going to give this a try on the 158k mile scirocco injection... it runs pretty well, but does feel a wee bit sluggish. Lots of lady owners so it could be well coked up. It'll be interesting to see if the MPG changes after - currently averages about 37.

If it works on that I'll give it a go on the 911 too - it's only 8 grand for a rebuild if it goes wrong [:s]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i did it on mine the other day (more than a year since being done before).

the oil was pretty dark anyway but this made it even more dirty and the car did feel better after.

any ideas whether the steam clean would help the lambda too?

i put 750ml through mine

20. Pete Taylor Forum Member

which vac hose did you use in the end Matt?