1985 BBS Mk2 GTI Retro K-jet (2021 Update)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by smp1987, Jun 6, 2010.

1. smp1987 Forum Member

Set about fixing my sunroof today it had dropped on one side letting in lots of water when it hammers with rain

Before taken back in September
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First thing pulled off the sunroof headlining slid it back to find this
    [​IMG]

I cleaned all the mould and crap off Then gave it a polish and a wax
    [​IMG]

After getting the sunroof lined up and the right hight i started on the drains so took the wind deflector off
    [​IMG]

after a clean with some hot water and Mr muscle
    [​IMG]

i then ran an old speedo cable down the front drain holes to clear them got some hot water and Mr muscle down the drains and holes and all the water ran freely through all the holes .

then i dyed and waxed the drains to help the water flow and stop it clogging
    [​IMG]

Then like a sad man with a day off waxed the rest of the sunroof before putting it back together
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The finished article
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

should now have a clean dry interior from now on.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nicely done!! So can you remove the sunroof (or at least swap the metal top) without taking the headlining out?

3. paultownsend Forum Member

i know this has been asked a milll=ion times before. but how do you slide the interior panel back to get to the sunroof skin and screws/mech?

the cables in my mech have both snapped and its fixed shut. if i can somehow access the screws, i can undo the panel and swop mechs

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

^^^ Glad you got it sorted Smp. :thumbup:

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

paul you can only do this easily with the roof opened a bit. you have to unclip the leading edge of the trim from the roof then slide it back. in your case, remove the winder handle, the trim and finaly the gear block from the roof. then push down and back the roof panel from the outside, and hopefully you can get it to move. if not you have a problem! what i would do is cut the inner panel apart, its only thin tin metal. just needs to be enough to get your hands in there, then can yank the fecker till it bends and you cna pull it inside the car. wear gloves!
    dropping the headliner might give you more access, but i dont think it does from memory

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1995762

6. paultownsend Forum Member

exactly what i thought :(
    excellent car by the way!

7. smp1987 Forum Member

yup i think so :thumbup: as mike did it on his 16v to paint it

8. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good mate, keep up the good work. Any more work done on the digi?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep sure can. pop inner trim off the front edge of roof and slide back, then can get access to screws holding the panel to the mech. undo all that and pop panel out, easy peasy

~http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=1995762

10. smp1987 Forum Member

Not much to report should have some pics of the new interior up by sat as Sunday im going to a a meet with some of the lads from the mk2 owners club :thumbup:

11. smp1987 Forum Member

Update Time

Insurance Time again was really not looking forward to this so i rang around getting sky high quotes the biggest was from performance classics 2.250.56 [8(].

So i gave Adrian Flux a call 3years NCB 5years Driving 610 fully comp any cosmetic mods i like ie Suspension/coilovers ect ect just cant increase the BHP :thumbup:. Not bad for for someone under 25 cheapest i found for my age group.

Also The Beast rolled over 120000miles last week [:y] not bad for 25years
    [​IMG]

12. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Ca't argue with that insurance. My Corrado was under 500 and I'm under 25 too and that had an ABF installed in it! My Cupra now is the under 500 too! :)

13. smp1987 Forum Member

Well its been long over due i just have not got around to taking pics of the new interior so toady i was doing a few bits and finally got some pics :thumbup:

Before The Day I Got Her
    [​IMG]

New Interior all Clean And Fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was fixing my drivers side window, decided to stop holding the glass last Sunday on my way home [:x] so as i was doing that i thought i would clean up the seals as they had to come off anyway to get the glass out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Then i fitted my new boot seal (cheers Martin) :thumbup:

Old one didn't quite fit
    [​IMG]

Did some cleaning that one one will ever see [:$]
    [​IMG]

Fitted
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a Pic of my car at The South East Mk2 Owners Club Meet
    [​IMG]

14. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

nice work - big props for keeping it original. Good interior got the same in my monza :)

Cheers

Dan

15. vdubraver New Member

luvin the mk2 didnt no even no bbs made bodykits ! will say 1 ov the nicest oem styled mk2's ive seen keep up the good work :thumbup:

16. smp1987 Forum Member

Time for bit of an update been a while

Car has been running fine until a few days ago when it started to feel slow and would feel sluggish when picking up speed.

So last week i had a quick look under the bonnet and on inspection found the oil breather pipe had a crack in it, So i took the breather off and as i did if snapped in my hand.
    [​IMG]

So in a bit of a mood at this point i look the air box apart to investigate the problem
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I cleaned it all up was a real mess and the air hole from the air box was blocked so this was coursing the problem sorry i did not take any after pics kept forgetting.

Few other bits i cleaned while i was there
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Happy with my obsessive cleaning i moved on to fixing the oil breather pipe.

I popped down to see my mate and me had a root around the workshop for a suitable bit of hose to keep the old girl out of trouble while i sourced a pipe.

Came up with this its from an old merc i think bit water hose
    [​IMG]

I measured it up and cut down the hard plastic to make it fit
    [​IMG]

Then attached the other end of the pipe an cable tied it so it would be air tight, and fitted it tidy bodge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that i fitted my new XENON headlight bulbs as we all know standard golf headlight bulbs are not the best at night, they make all the difference
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did so more cleaning

Spot light covers before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Bonnet catch was looking really bad so off that came

Before
    [​IMG]

After fitted
    [​IMG]

I did start to clean the under side of the bonnet but ran out off compound so will update when i get some more and my pipe arrives

17. theboymike Forum Junkie

Super clean [8D]

How are you finding the blue bulbs - I've heard stories about them reducing light output on account of the filter on the glass.. what wattage are they?

Sadly, the thing that struck me most about your last post was how well this cleaned up - looks new :o

[​IMG]

18. smp1987 Forum Member

there standard Wattage i think 55W there really good got the whole set for 10 i didn't change the side light as they made the lights look really blue.

Overall they are much better that the yellowy standard bulbs no were near as good as your loom upgrade but i cant afford to do that atm. well worth the money even if you only change the spotlight bulbs

And yes that was unreal how clean it all comes up bit of civic bang left it for a few mins job done

19. smp1987 Forum Member

Bit of a update been hunting around ebay the last few weeks for some bits and bobs. Got my hand on this bad boy for just over 5
    [​IMG]
    Its full of 80's styling some awesome some not so, Yes in konw its a haynes Book but it is really good, So if anyone need info on zender body kits bbs kits jetta styling or type 19 let me know

Anyway so i was reading the book and i came across this.
    [​IMG]

I thought what the hell quick ebay search and 1.95 later i have a tyre pen such a subtle mod.
    First a cleaned the tyre and then used nail varnish to clean off all the crap ect
    [​IMG]

Just did the pirelli logo as the p6000 is to big and it would look stupid

The Result
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While i was out there i went round the car and re did the etched windows with the pen.
    [​IMG]

I also did this (after taking the pics i was not happy so re did it)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Iv also decided to get some black bumpers just to change it up for a bit.

Let me know what you think

20. retrowhore Forum Member

I've just picked up a Driver with a genuine Zender rear spoiler on the tailgate. Looks odd on it's own.