2.0 bottom end, 1800 head. Race Cam?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jono395, Dec 1, 2008.

1. jono395 Forum Member

hii,

just looking at a 2.0 8v conversion, and with a ported 1800 GTI head, would be great.

but as i can only look at 1800 cams, it would be less wilder than suggested as its a 2.0 bottom end..

so would a race 296 cam be a great fast road cam for the 2.0 bottom end, or would a 276 be better for the mid range and top end

i dont mind losing abit of low down though...

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd go for a 272 or 276 on a road car.

A 2.0 has a bit more torque, and a higher compression ratio, than a 1.8, so it'll cope with a slightly lumpier cam. If you take a little bit off the head too, you can get up around 11:1, but you need to be able to set the car up to handle this without pinking.

Are you still thinking of running it on a carb, or going for injection?

3. jono395 Forum Member

im toying with the idea of injection.. but i dont want too much work whcih i cant handle!

Thinking about carb / carbs.. but no sure yet.. depends what comes up TBH mike!

so when i have my head skimmed, should i ask for them to take off 40 thou?

then all id need to do is advance the timing which if im on carbs, should be easy as its twisting the dizzie anti clockwise..![:D]

Dont you reckon the 296 cam would be a good idea then?
    http://www.newman-cams.com/pdf/volkswagen.pdf
    on page 3 of 5, it shows the different durations, and at 150 its not too bad! I just dont know which one to go for. Im a fan of the lumpy idle, but dont want to lose massive amounts of low down power..

for a 276 on a 2.0 bottom end, you reckon i would gain alot, as its only a 276, which on a 2.0 would make it around a 266 ish wouldnt it?

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

a 276 is a 276 whatever engine its fitted to. a 276 is a good cam, if you wanted a bit more then a 282 would be a good way to go, I have a 288 but im sure how drivable its going to be.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you run on a carb, you can't map in the fuelling and ignition in the way that you could on megasquirt, for example, so you're going to tend to lose some bottom end driveablility. I reckon that a 296 is too much on a road engine, but I'm guessing, as I haven't driven one.

You need to match the CR to the cam you're going to fit, and whichever method of spark & fuelling control you go for, so you need to make all the decisions together, rather than have bits of work done in isolation, and end up with an engine that doesn't work well as a whole unit.

A 276 cam, a ported head, and a CR of about 11:1 would be a good combination, for example, provided you can get enough fuel into it to make it run properly.

6. jono395 Forum Member

Thanks for your advice, it much appreciated[:D]

Id like to takne 40 thou off my head, to give it the 11:1 CR and as you have both said, a 276 is the one to go for..

I did look into twin 40's, but ive read that the servo gets in the way and therfore id have to have a inlet manifold made!..
    1) i have no idea where to get one made
    20 i dont have THAT much money:lol:

So say i stayed with the carb ive got for now.... Where would i get it rejetted, or where would i find out what jet sizes id need:(

7. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

most rolling roads will be able to rejet a carb, but i would check 1st, the are also many fuel injection type places that will be able to help, I dont think that you can just buy jets now they need to be matched to the final spec of the engine for the best performance.

8. jono395 Forum Member

oh!! Looks like im going to have to drive my car to the rolling road on a jetted 1800! :lol:

i was just thinking that maybe someone on here may have the same sort of setup so could give me a idea of what sizes id need..:lol:

9. jono395 Forum Member

hi all,

this conversion is happening this weekend as my gearbox seized yesterday, so has brang the whole project forward[:D]

Quick Q which i have asked before, but i would like to get it straight...

Im using a MK3 block, so how will my "K jet" dizzie work? adapter ring?

is there any other way? and what are the implications if i dont use one?

are the oil pumps the same, as the one in my MK2 block is fairly new:lol:

cheers

10. jono395 Forum Member

2.0L MK3 bottom end, Skimmed head 1mm, for 11:1 compression ratio, 276 Newman cam.. Would the valves meet the pistons?

11. mk28vICED Forum Member

not it it was timed up properly and the belt never snaps :thumbup: :lol:

on a serious note a 282 would be spot on!

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Don't skim 1mm off without calculating the CR properly - the 2.0 engines are about 10.5:1 as standard (I think), compared to the 1.8's 10:1, and the head chamber / piston dish will be different sizes.

The other think you need to check is that the tops of the 2.0 pistons don't contact the sides of the 1.8 combustion chamber where it tapers in. They won't with standard heads, but when you start skimming, you need to be careful.

You'll need an adaptor ring, and a bigger dizzy gear, if you're running with a carb/kjet dizzy.

13. jono395 Forum Member

right so, should i just keep the 10.5 compression ratio, and as my head has been skimmed before, and this makes it the 2nd time, it should be enough i would of thought:lol: Id get the Newman 276 cam, as its faily cheap 150 NEW, but havent got a vernier, and atm dont want to spen out another 50 if its not nessisary:lol:.. Dont know where id find a 282???????????

ok mike, i got your PM and will take you up on that, but a dizzie gear.. whats involved in that?[:s]

14. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you will need the gear from a 2.0 dizzy, any of the 2.0 8v dizzy's will do. unfortunately i dont think you can order the gear on its own.

15. jono395 Forum Member

looks like im going to have to find a 8V 2.0 dizzy! Havent come across any GTI's in my local scrappy since.. EVER!:lol: I may post up a wanted AD on here..

** Off subject, but i notice we have that spell check thing working[:D]**

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i think i have an agg one somewhere, ill have a look tonite

17. jono395 Forum Member

oh wicked, PM me[:D]

For that breather on the front of the block, does any crud come out of it... im just wondering if it would be better routing it to my catch tank...

18. mk28vICED Forum Member

dont bother with a vernier. you will never adjust it.

19. jono395 Forum Member

yeah thats what i was thinking matey, i would see enough increase without messing around with that! cheers

20. jono395 Forum Member

Im in the middle of this conversion now, and im thinking..

As im using the MK2 8V gearbox.. do i use the 1800 flywheel and clutch setup?