20vt conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Ditchyboy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

could someone tell me if the original VAG ECU for a AUQ can be live mapped and give me a brief explanation of what this actually means as i think i have an idea but am not 100% and i keep hearing people talking about live mapping DTA and other stand alone management etc.

cheers

2. Ditchyboy Forum Member

right i understand the maping and live mapping more now as i have had some good info from R-Tech who are local to me and whom i have only heard great things about so when the times come i will be going there for tune and re-map.

Main reason for posting i was wondering if someone could tell me what driveshafts to use as i will be running a mk3 16v O2a box with normal width mk2 8v track and 4 stud G60 hubs, brakes etc. i am a bit unsure which will be strong enough for 230bhp and will fit the box. hope someone can help!

cheers

3. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Ref requirements and strength, standard driveshafts will be fine - the only thing likely to break is the CV joints, but not with 230bhp. As with a lot of things related to power upgrades, it's not the power, but the torque that affects it - 230bhp will produce circa 230 ft lb.

If you're worried about your driveshafts, you can get brand new ones for 70 per side - made in the UK by Interparts, but the quality is good - I've had no problems on mine, doing a shed load of track days. Available on fleabay from J&R http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/J-R-TRADING-UK-LTD__W0QQ_armrsZ1

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

right anyone know if the MAF is interchangable across the 1.8 range or if a i need a proper AUQ one.

cheers

5. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

mine goes in next week guys. anyone for a guide and parts list??

i need an AUQ loom to bodgify btw if anyone has one?? its the onewith the bigger plug on that i need

6. Ditchyboy Forum Member

guide and parts list would be cool

7. rttsvw Forum Member

guide and list would be brill vee bud modder to start mine in a week or 2 would b ideal to cross refernce a few part n incase iv forgoten anything

8. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

I have a list I made somewhere a while back, only problem is, it varies to what YOU want and what car you have.

I will try and find out my list tho'

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Very true.

My list consisted of;

Mk4 Golf AUM-code engine (150bhp)

Engine loom from donor car.

Qpeng `Plug and Play` MBE ECU mapped to 230bhp.

Qpeng 3" downpipe.

Post-cat Lambda probe from donor car (or it might be the Pre-cat one...can`t remember...)

G60 Corrado engine/gearbox mounts.

G60 Corrado 02A gearbox.

Mk3 Golf shifter and cables (Mk4 can be used if 02J `box is used or when 02J shift tower is transplanted to 02A).

SEAT Ibiza cable clutch kit (to convert 02A from hydrualic)

Mercedes Sprinter intercooler.

BMW E30 radiator

Kenlowe 12" fan.

Various VAG and BMW coolant hoses (Modified).

G60 280mm brake calipers (had 239mm setup orginally, so also had to swap to 256mm hubs/carriers)

Brembo plain discs.

Ferodo DS2500 pads.

All new VAG bolts, screws, clips, and fasteners used where possible.

Forge DV (Full atmospheric).

Audi R8 oil cap (my only piece of `bling` :lol:)

10. Ditchyboy Forum Member

hi again,
    i have got a mk3 16v fuel tank and pump to fit to my mk2 but not the straps. Does anyone know if straps from a mk3 8v will fit the same or do i need the 16v straps?

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Mk3 8v straps will do fine :)

12. penry New Member

Any pics of the rad in the bay? Ive got one that was living in the attic, but seems far too tall to sit in the bay nicely [:s]

13. Ditchyboy Forum Member

you have put
    Kenlowe 12" fan
    in your parts list, how do you find the single 12" fan? i was under the impression that it was a lot better to use twin fans?

14. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i use a mk2 16v rad small in size with 1 fan mine doesnt get hot unless i thrash it hard lol

15. StuMc

The slam panel needs some modding to get it to fit, but, the way I`ve chopped it out (needs cleaning up), it still retains the top `radius` of the panel so when looking from the front you wouldn`t notice it was modified.

You also need to fab up some brackets to mount it.

[​IMG]

It`s yet to run, but I went for the single 12" because that`s pretty much as big as I can fit on the rad.

The fan choice (single or twin) pretty much depends on what rad you are using (ie, if you can fit twins, do it) but the Kenlowes flow really well, so just the one should do in this case. :thumbup:

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

is that intercooler big enough?!?!?! lag city ahoy!

Mines running a raddo VR6 Rad which is the full width of the engine bay, so no chnace of overheating in traffic, esp with 1 fan on the back sucking, and where theres less room on the back I have 1 fan on the front blowing through the rad, all controlled by an adjustable sender in the red which has been turned down a tiny bit.

the intercooler on mine is attached to the bumper beam and slung bellow it, this way it does not rob air flow from the rad and when traveling at low speeds or in traffic there wont be heat soak from the rad to the intercooler.

as for a clutch mines running a ESC stage 1 clutch and fly wheel, the fly wheel is lightened and cheaper than a OE set up

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=10682

there is alot of random parts needed like vac hoses, boost hoses, etc etc.

tbh the easy thing is post a list of what you actually have now and folks might be able to see whats missing

17. StuMc

`Standard` Sprinter item... ;)

18. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Twin fans on the VR6 Corrado rad - stock rad isn't big enough for twins, unless you use much smaller ones, which defeats the object :thumbup:

19. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

yep and sprinters are used mainly in towns... where speeds are low so air fow is low... hence a large surface area required... down side to a big inetrcooler is lag, as you need to fill that cooler before you get boost to the engine :thumbup: hence me using a smaller one slung out of the way of the rad, its not as good around town but its not far off

20. StuMc

The Sprinter one may have a larger surface area, but it`s very thin (think air-con condenser, hence why they fit so well behind the grill), so the volume is probably pretty similar to what you`ve got... ;)