20vt conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Ditchyboy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. HidRo Forum Member

Aren't those washers for the OBX diff? Instead of the regular diff, with added washers?
    If I'm missing something, I'm sorry :lol:

2. Ditchyboy Forum Member

hi again guys, when i come to getting my engine out shall i do the driveshafts, wishbones, suspension, brakes and poly bushing all at once? (if i have time and weather) Will it be as easy to do the polybushing, wishbones and driveshafts in one session then do the brakes and suspension in another?!

Is it easy to get hold of G60 driveshafts for an o2a gearbox (normal track not wide) and is it even worth swapping the wishbones? Do G60 / V6 wishbones fit and are they any stronger?

Does a rado G60 cross member fit and would this be any better or stronger?

cheers

3. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Do al the bushes at once - easier in the long run. You'll need a press. Whether you do the brakes and suspension at the same time is down to how muh time you've got, but, as you'll need the tracking done after both, then doing them all at once makes sense.

What do you mean by cross member? Front engine support, slam panel, or something else?

4. LazyLunatic Forum Member

just use a set of mk2 gti shafts and just make you use brand new genuine cv joints and boots.

5. vwd40 Forum Member

Last time I checked you could no longer get new CV's from VW. I got new (not recon exchange) ones from my local factors and they have lasted fine on my Mk2 20v

6. Mook

Mook Forum Member

But you drive like a girl Mike :p

7. Ditchyboy Forum Member

sorry, i meant front engine support. Well if VW dont do CV's then i will have to try GSF or somewhere and hope they are strong enough. Which mk2 driveshafts fit the o2a?

8. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Standard front engine support is fine. Fit a Vibratechnics front mount if you want to stiffen it up.

CV joint kits are 50 each from GSF before discount, so that's 200 to do both driveshafts.

I run an 02J box with 100mm flanges, so can't answer your O2A question.

9. vwd40 Forum Member

Hmmmm, history seems to suggest otherwise lol :p

Anyway.........

[​IMG]

10. Mook

Mook Forum Member

11. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Picked up a clutch and cable today... choice on the mk2 1.3 cables though -- early or late type... gone with late type lol.

12. Ditchyboy Forum Member

u will have to keep me updated with if the late type works ok as i will need to do this.

13. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

No problem. i will pop a full list of parts up on by build thread over the next day or so. it will vary slightly if your not running OEM management and if your not running FBW but for the best part all the bolt in stuff will be the same :lol:

14. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Just wondering is it an easy job to swap the rocker cover over on a AUQ as i have one that came with some other parts so i was going to clean and paint it up then swap it straight over to the engine to give it a nicer look. will i need a new gasket or bolts etc?!

also where do i look for the PAS pump and reservoir on my 8v digi so i can tell it it has PAS? My AUQ currently hasnt got the PAS pump attached so i am hoping mine hasnt got it so its one less thing to worry about. Then i just need to work out the shorter belt etc to run it without.

cheers in advance

15. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Changing rocker cover is easy enough job. Undon bolts and lift off. I'd change the gasket if I were you and then refit new gasket and new rocker cover. Screws are fine to re-use unless you round them off or anything removing them.

If your 8v has power steering you'll have a power steering fluid bottle - rectangular cream coloured bottle with red screw lid which off the top of my head is on the right hand side of the engine bay somewhere between the gearbox and rad with 2 pipes that will run off it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  16. Ditchyboy Forum Member

well i cant see that PAS tank anywhere so i dont think i have it, the brief time i drove it it did feel fairly heavy so seems right.

Also i was looking at general spares / replacement parts and noticed that parts like cv boots, tie rods inlc. ends, wishbones etc are very reasonably priced from FEBI. Are these well priced because they arent upto the job or are they ok to use? i want to try and save money where i can but dont want to buy parts that will need replacing all the time.

17. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i now have my AUQ engine but it is a fairly bare block, i have turbo, coils and sensors but need all pipework. If i want to get all the black piping, which i think is mainly breather pipes etc can these be bought from VW or GSF or should i look in scrap yards etc. Do the come in kit form?
    Also where abouts where is the water pump? any pics would be great.

18. Ditchyboy Forum Member

also my manifold only has 3 studs for my downpipe, is that correct? If not are these easy to get hold of and should i replace them all?

19. Admin Guest

should be four? studs are easy to pick up from vw

20. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Ditchy, what turbo are you running? If you've got a K03 or K03s, I've got all the pipework you need. Main dealer is the easiest source of studs. You don't need to replace them, as they're not stretch bolts.