20vt conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Ditchyboy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

any help guys?

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

With that much power you should get one fitted

You dont HAVE TO but it will make car alot more drivable as without one you will strugle in wet and putting power through the corners with only one wheel gripping and one not doing much

3. LazyLunatic Forum Member

if you got the money, fit a lsd! and you wont be able to go too low on the front as you will mash the sump. my front end isnt low (never scraps on speedbumps, kerbs) and i have already cracked my sump!

good luck with it all bud! give me a shout if you need any help, probably hit every problem there is doing this conversion!

4. Mook

Mook Forum Member

LSD is worth it. I didn't run one in the box I've just taken out and in first and second gear, it lit the tyres in the dry - third gear as well in the wet.

You'll be spending upwards of 1k to get one fitted if you supply them with the box out of the car - try www.stealthracing.com or www.gearboxman.co.uk

5. LazyLunatic Forum Member

6. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Oh, yeah. The cheap as chips option.

Not sure how many people on here who've gone down the LSD route have decided to go cheap as chips or get a Quaife or Peloquin for around 600-700, plus fitting.

Your call.

7. LazyLunatic Forum Member

yeah a lot of the jap boys in the states have them and dont seem to have problems with them. and apparently are fine once you follow the instructions in the link. And at a 1/3 of the price, it makes it a much more affordable purchase. I know what your saying, as i say the same thing, you get what you pay!

im going to save up and see where i am nearer the end of the year. if i can afford a quaife or peloquin, i'd buy one of them without a doubt!

8. Boot103 Forum Member

You want to use an Intermotor 12613. GSF will do a cross ref. You want to use MK2 16V Leads with it.

9. Boot103 Forum Member

I would get the engine in and running before thinking about doing anything else. It may cost more than you anticipate (it is costing me loads more atm) and money saved from coils etc will be valued. theese can be added on once your happy with the engine.

10. Boot103 Forum Member

Yes yes Yes !!

You will defos want this or you will be doing a quarter mile wheel spin :p and taking the gearbox off later will be a pain.

If your using the 02A go to quiafe and get the following.

An LSD to fit the 02A will be 550 plus vat. Give quaife a ring or demon tweeks

Also you will need a bolt kit to fit the LSD to the crownwheel its about 100. This is another quaife jobby.

To fit the LSD it will cost around 150 labour plus parts if needed for rebuilding the GB.

I will post part numbers if needed.

Your going to be using g60 driveshafts with Mk2 16v hubs all round ?

11. Boot103 Forum Member

12. Ditchyboy Forum Member

think im going to use g60 driveshafts and i am using g60 hubs with 280mm brake conversion

cheers for help

13. Boot103 Forum Member

Nice ! Im off to try and start mine. Gonna hock the lambda sensor up.

14. Ditchyboy Forum Member

right the LSD that i had seen already fitted to an O2a has gone so looks like i will be running an AUQ with the O2a box i already have without an LSD. This was the original plan as i cannot afford to buy one and have it fitted at the moment. I just want to get it all in and running and then finish it to the standard i want over time. This will include tidying interior, exterior, wheels and suspension. I currently have BBS RAs and will get some G60 steelies whilst the RAs are refurbed but want Borbet a, b's or BBS splittys down the line. I will also get some lowered, stiffer suspension straight away but maybe not the highest budget so that will come later on.
    Anyone know what kind of price i should be looking to pay for a 2nd hand pair of fronts and the rears cloth recaros from a mk4 gti 20v?

cheers for all input guys and gals. please keep it up as i know this thread has been really helpfull to me so far and will be when i need to refer back and i am sure it will be of help to others too.

15. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i am sure i have asked this before somewhere but i cannot find it anywhere. What brackets and mounts should i use for this conversion. I have 16v brackets so far which i am sure i have been told are ok but which mounts should i get as i have heard about using a diesel mount on one or a vibratechnics but cannot remember if it was the front or back? If i got a vibratechnics should i just get the standard and not the comp one for road use?

What have you guys who have done it used?

cheers

16. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

16v GTI box/fly. mk3 GTI mounts all round and running gear. might want a VR6 rad?? uprate mounts if you can within your budget!

17. Ditchyboy Forum Member

could someone please tell me what this throttle body is off? part number: 037 133 064

cheers

18. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

POLO/LUPO 16v dude -- google is your friend!

19. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i know i talked about the eibach, koni setup but out of interest what is the general opinion of Spax RSX Coilovers? at around 550 dont sound a bad price compared to other big brand coilies. i have heard one opinion that they are a bit harsh for road use?! other opinions welcome and gratefully received

thanks

20. LazyLunatic Forum Member

solid front mount. cheaper one, guy on this forum :)

the mk3 16v mount brackets are the best to use when bolting into a mk3.

vr6 rad is also a good shout, but if its going into a mk2, then g60 rad and cooler is the way to go