20vt conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Ditchyboy, Oct 2, 2009.

1. GtSpec

GtSpec Forum Member

The Golf and Corrado G60 flywheels are the same mate. You will need new bolts to bolt the flywheel to the crank. You can get the release bearings on there own, buy a genuine one. VR6 clutch kit will work, again get new pressure plate bolts.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

An LUK VR6 clutch kit should have the release bearing included...

Where are you buying it from?

3. b5byt Paid Member Paid Member

Yep release bearing should be included in the kit, But I did pay 19 for one from the dealer recently

4. bertelli_1 Forum Member

The last time I tried to buy a release bearing (didn't try vw) all the suppliers told me it wasn't available seperately. Apart from one shop, who told me they could get one & it would be 250. Then followed a ten minute conversation about how a little bearing could not possibly cost this much, although judging by the guy's blank expression he obviously knew sweet fa about cars.

5. Ditchyboy Forum Member

the luk vr6 clutch kit is a little used 2nd hand one and doesnt come with the release bearings hence asking if i could get it seperate or just bite the bullet and get a brand new one. cheers for the replys guys.

6. g-dub Forum Member

im sure ive got a spare release bearing in the garage,

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK3/SEAT 2.0 16v ABF flywheel can also be used, as can any item from a corrado or passat as they're all fitted with 02a boxes (manual and non-VR6 obviously)

must be quite a few peeps on here with 02a flywheels kicking about the place from ABF -> MK2 swaps

8. Ditchyboy Forum Member

hi, i have seen some 20v conversions with leads coming out from under the plastic engine cover to a single (well four in one) coilpack. I think one was from a laguna of some sort. Is this better than running single coils because of heat and how do you know which leads and coilpack you can use??

cheers

9. Ditchyboy Forum Member

rub johny i was told to get the g60 flywheel and vr6 clutch setup as it will take the 230bhp i hope to be running, do others work as well at that power? and are the golf g60 items just exactly the same as the Corrado g60 items??

10. bertelli_1 Forum Member

Depends what engine management (ecu) you are using, the standard ecu will need to use the coil on plug (cop) setup from the original engine. Aftermarket ecu's will use either cop or wasted spark (the 4 in one) coil. Mine uses wasted spark with a megasquirt ecu.

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

any of the above flys with the vr clutch work, the flywheels are the same :)
    just make sure its a 228 one, some of the lower spec passats had a 215mm one iirc. All ABF ones will be the larger size, as will anything from a Corrado. Just the passats you need to be carefuil of. if its 2.0 or a tdi it should be the bigger clutch.

Oh, and MK3/SEAT TDI also have the 02a box, but not so easy to find these

12. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i am thinking of the eibach / koni suspension combi that i have heard so much about. i have been told to get Koni top adjustables with Eibach Pro springs. anyone know where a good place to get these is? good price etc? how many people use this setup or have been in a car with this on and do you recommend it?

cheers

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I had koni/eibach set up on my mk2 and a rado, very good handling, they do sit bit high for some peoples tastes

14. Mook

Mook Forum Member

What's your budget Ditchy?

15. Ditchyboy Forum Member

mook not really sure on a budget as such as i am still collecting up other bits and bobs for the conversion and still need to pay for the engine i have a sale agreed on and sort out some management. I wouldnt say i havent got a budget as in i have lots of money and its no object but what i have been doing is just hunting for the best deals and prices and quality at a resonable price. That is why i am looking at this combo as i havent got big money for a good set of coilys!

16. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

The Konis will be at least 450 quid and the Eibachs will be 130 quid all day long from all of the major suppliers, you might get lucky on the bay, got my last set of Eibachs for 65 and the last set of Konis for 250. Both were six months old and in great condition as new.

17. Ditchyboy Forum Member

the prices you quote PAB arent too bad. a lot cheaper than good coilys! what drop will i get? do the springs come in 40 or 60mm drops? i think looking at my stance 40mm would look good but not scraping the floor!

18. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Eiback Pro Springs are the best to go for. Depending on what your car is to start with 8v or 16v they quote 30mm-40mm drop. (16v are normally lower as std.)

19. Ditchyboy Forum Member

its an 8v gti but it sits quite nicely anyway, i would like it lower but got to think of the speedbumps and with a 20vt dont want to mash the sump! i will keep an eye out on ebay.

20. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i was wondering what the opinions of having an LSD on a 20vt conversion are. i have been in 1 220bhp (ish) rado conversion without one and it still seemed great off the line and i wasnt going to bother but if the engine is running 260 - 280bhp is one needed. also i am still not exactly sure what one does so can someone please explain exactly what one does and how it will effect the drive.

thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010