8v or 16v

Discussion in 'Engines' started by copeidge, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

When VW did that publicity film of the Toureg towing a Jumbo Jet what they didn't show was the 8v Mk2 that was actually towing the Toureg.
    Incidentally the Toureg used has been sprayed pink & is now in service as a Hen Night Special Stretch Limo, having had it's wheelbase extended by 5 metres due to being caught between the 8v's torque & the 747's mass.

2. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

PSML

8v torkz not to be taken lightly.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

I wouldn't laugh mate, the last group meet ended up on the news as the latest Earth Quake & the epicenter was Maccie D's carpark.

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

back to this topic again i see!!!

8v are for cheapskates that didn't wanna pay the extra for the 16v....
    :p

5. PeterGolf Forum Member

no, its for the cheapskates who don't want to pay extra fuel costs on day to day basis i.e me. i'm used to 8vs and just prefer the characteristics. im going to get 16v one day to see what all the fuss is about though

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

there is practically no different fuel cost wise, if anything the 16v drinks less

so 16v is for cheapskates who cant afford the petrol cost and value not having their neck broken by the torque

7. Carbs4ever Forum Member

if you're considering a big bumper model consider this

at a show last year (not a vw show just all types of stuff) my 8v was parked up along with other cars and i turned round to see that a group of children were using the relatively broad expanse of the front bumper as a makeshift park bench....

I was concerned that the front bumper was not fitted with any safety equipment.... so i had to tell their parents to remove them (the children not the bumpers) as there could have been a safety issue at anything over the inner city speed limit of 30mph

the parents agreed.

8. PeterGolf Forum Member

i'll have to buy a 16v with a generous mfa

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

Matt's mpg crazy, I'd be surprised if he hadn't worked it out to the last drip :lol:

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ha ha!!! i bet he knows how much it costs to get off his drive...

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i know how much it costs to get off ;)

and i know how much it costs me to drive to work at various times of the day

if i get here for 730am its a lot cheaper than getting here for 8am

innit

even with an abf powerhouse of fury, i cannot beat traffic :S

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

are you loving the new username?

I wasn't when I couldn't log in for love of trying, I was cursing my new comp thinking it was to blame, only when I requested a new password by email did I notice it had changed!!

woooo!

13. Aphex Forum Junkie

Haha, trying to log in as mark. Must be a sign ;)

14. mk28vICED Forum Member

slap a 2.0 bottem end on the 8v are surely the torque is higher than the poncey 1.8 16v.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hey Mark, mine just did 310 on the last tank (since last saturday morning) ive not really been anywhere apart from work, so even with loads of traffic, it did 310 miles on 44 litres

INNIT

ps give Mark his login back

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Obviously. But it`s all about where in the rev range the torque is applied. A car that has it`s peak power high up the rev range will feel limp, until it gets to the peak, whereas a car that peaks lower down will feel faster, because the full power/torque is available more readily.

The ideal, is a power/torque curve that peaks relatively early and remains on a plateau until the end of the rev range. Remember when looking at a power/torque curve it`s not the line that counts, it`s the area under the line. The more area under the line, the better.

An example of an 8v power/torque curve (mine):

[​IMG]

A 16v graph would, of course, have higher peaks, but the power trace would be steeper, therefore taking longer to reach that peak.

With the 8v power/torque being available lower down the rev range it is easier to keep within the optimum rev range. A 16v requires the revs to be higher, so is more difficult (on the road) to keep within the optimum band. This means an 8v `feels` more powerful/torquey, and therefore suits normal road driving better. The 16v is more of a motorway cruiser, and, will beat an 8v hands down on a track, where it is easier to maintain optimum revs.

I personally prefer the 8v for it`s around-town drivability. There isn`t much (other than cars with 3 litres +, or big turbos) that can beat it off the lights. You can just leave it in third and pootle around, but you`ll be sitting in the sweet spot rev-wise, so just need a quick stab of the throttle to make small gaps/get away from chav-racers. :thumbup:

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I'm on my 22nd or 23rd Mk2, and I pefer the 16v to drive properly, i.e. give it a good hiding. But an 8v digi is fantastic for reliability and normal driving with the occasional braaaaaaaaap session. An 8v K-Jet is slightly better at the braaaaaaaaap than the digi, but there is more to go wrong......

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Oh, and a diesel Mk1 Caddy will tow ALL of your 8vs backwards, even if you have them all at full throttle.

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

jog on tsc. everyone knows the 8v has more torque than the toureg v10 tdi

as for 16v fuel economy. my last tank (all going to work in traffic and being thrashed) got 310 miles on 44L

cos its the greatest

20. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

8 valve EA827 GTi engines are some of the torquiest engines in the world ( at least in this thread)...But then came the 16v...