AUM 20v running issues

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by bruders8146, Oct 26, 2014.

1. ragitaround Forum Member

Hummm ! Tis true that when ppl mod there motors to much things can blow this is why im not gona go mad n go to far
    with mine! & is true speed is the ultimate aim but cost will in the end possibly kill that dream & the motor left stranded! With the british road laws yo gota think to yaself is it realy worth it as if you open it up n nxt thing you know your being pulled over which if your caught more than 3 times tearing up tarmac well you know where im leading to lol cant win either way coz you pay the cost in the end . Now dont get me wrong i love speed n love to go fast but cost ways out ego n vanity for me lol so hopefully my car will stay intact but with its lil faults frm time to time .i would be gutted if i had done my motor to show spec n looking the dogz nutz then the engine blew up n all that coin wasted. Im only gona do a few lil mods but they will be on decent bushes for a smoother ride & silicone hoses for long life . Not into lowering coz off sleeping policemen as ashford is sh..t for roads lol like toy town. I mite get a remap jus for that lil extra power when i need it.

2. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Can we get back to topic please?

so today im going to check the wiring (mutli meter and continuity tests)

also going to check the compression. i know most car across the board should be in the region of 180psi (ish) but surly differnt piston could lower the comp. after all the comp (so far) are within 10% and im also not having any kind of smoke.

Also if engine has gone what's the better engine to have (may awell look into it)

3. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

I'm not back at work mate until wednesday

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Hope you find some answers today :thumbup:and it's an easy fix once the real issue is found :thumbup:

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I could tidy the thread if you like and remove some of the off topic posts :thumbup:

Going back to the problem, I'd put my money on the coilpack wiring. There was a good guide on ukmkivs.net about this.

If worse case it's the cylinder head , I'd remove the old one ( easy ) and have some uprated valves fitted. ;)

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

That's pretty bad, selling without fixing a known issue.

But that's the problem buying a conversion. Especially if the seller didn't build it or isn't conscientious enough to get it repaired before the sale.

G28OPN likes this.
  7. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

What pins on the coil connectors should i be testing (i dont have a clue)

youtube is my friend today

8. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

bruders8146 likes this.
  9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

You need Jonny :thumbup:

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

My AUM had cracked wires where they ran ontop of the rocker cover,you could actually see the gaps in the plastic/rubber bit of the wires.

[​IMG]

I found these rafter the car developed a misfire on cylinder no.3. I changed all coil packs and repaired the wiring at the same time so it could have been one or the other.

Maybe moisture is in your wiring?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    bruders8146 likes this.
  11. 1990

Another:

[​IMG]

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Do you have emerald wiring diagram?

13. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

whats the cloth type tape used to wrap the loom in... ive tried google but cant find it.. (dont know whats its called)

14. 1990

Tesa tape

15. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

no mate....

:cry: i hate electrics so much

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You'll probably need to find one to see how coil packs are wired. Vw ones are available.

This is AUM coil wiring

[​IMG]

Pin 1 (black/purple) on the coilpack is 12v

Pin 2 (brown) is earth

Pin 3 black/brown) is trigger from ecu

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Been a bit passive on here but will put in my piece.

I have driven this car when G_Whizz owned it, after the turbo was changed for a 3K 'K03S' unit by Richard MK2
    The car ran on all 4 cylinders in my drive to assess the engine calibration near his home. The engine ticked over as I would expect any 20vT to.
    What I did not like with it was the response and general lack of urgency from the engine. I let G_whizz drive my car, JENVEE, soon after my drive in his car to let him see what I meant by urgency. This when I recommend tweaks to the calibration could be done to get this car running as it should in my judgement. I did not have a problem with the Emerald wiring based on all seemed to be working with the time.
    We later fitted a AFR guage to the car at my home to help prepare the car for the road tuning that was to follow. Again the car was running fine.
    In the end we never were able to deliver the calibration to the car and it changed hands to the current owner.

I have listened to the video and I can hear the engine is idling pretty much 20vT on all 4 but on the application of load starts to get a bit rough. From my experience I am not sure if this roughness is being contributed to be a coil pack breaking down, an air leak, an injector or a faulty MAP sensor.

I have met both Graham and Lewis at our London meet, I have offered to have a look at the car after the 21st as another Club GTI enthusiast to another as there is a problem that has developed. I do have full Emerald K3/6 software an are in contact with the Karl, Leoni, John Etc from Emerald.

So Lewis if you hang tight it will get fixed.

We are Club GTI and we look out for our members :thumbup:

Cheers

Ed.

bruders8146, G_Whizz and fasteddie like this.
  18. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

3 times over the last fortnight He bought the car on the 18th this went up on the 26th and you have not seen this on the forum ..fair enough.
    If the car was right as you say its will not take much to fix, so you told him it needed a matrix when it was sold ? Reading your previous topics seem more than just a clip was wrong
    I could be wrong .... problems do occur yes ....Minor ones maybe, sold in good faith .....If I had sold it, it would not be "Unfortunately bad luck can bestow us all" mate ... I would sort it out for him ;)
    But we will see as its a very expensive car if "engine swap (if necessary) isn't expensive" It is when paying someone to do the work etc

If I had bought the car, Well I wouldn't have as I would have know to check heater, wet floor still I would known something was up,
    But If it was me you would be sorting this and A reply like this one of yours would not cut it with me.
    Sorry if this offends but it just how I see it.
    Lets hope it an easy fix a cr test he did on the car was wrong
    I can only go on info on this topic and your own problem topics.

G28OPN and tshirt2k like this.
  19. ragitaround Forum Member

Quick question...would any ov these wires running over the rocker if damaged like this have an effect on the instrument cluster luke causing the fuel,rev flicker up & down & stay in that position when turn engine off,& clock n mileometer to reset to zero every time i turn engine off? Cheers

20. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

"What I did not like with it was the response and general lack of urgency" If the rings were burnt out meaning poor cr would this cause the lack of urgency ?
    "In the end we never were able to deliver the calibration to the car ( Not good as I know you are well up on your stuff) and it changed hands to the current owner." So he knew there was a problem in the running of that car before it was sold.

As I said hope I wrong and an easy fix so he can enjoy what he paid for and if this is the case remove/ clean up this topic :thumbup: