AUM 20v running issues

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by bruders8146, Oct 26, 2014.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Sold as seen is a few grand, take a chance parts or repair ......what did you pay mate ?
    He should have told you about the metrix ......its not a witch hunt mate, car was sold through the forum by a forum member
    not good :thumbd:

2. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

I actually did a PX for my brand new kawasaki z800 plus some cash my way. But he asked 5k for the car.

Honestly I don't want to be the guy that caused problems I just want to get the car fixed. Or just sell the bits

fasteddie likes this.
  3. ragitaround Forum Member

Hi people!:thumbup: Bruders i was reading your thread & i feel gutted for ya m8 . Where in ashford are ya? Im in kingsnorth n im forever Tinkering with my mk4 golf 1.8t gti AUM ,ive been avin a few codes come up lately which is doing my nut in aswell which makes me want to torch the car but ive put the petrol back in the can , cleaned the milk bottle out n put the rag in the shed lol n thought feck it ill stick with sortin her out but i know it will take a bit ov time to cure the problems. Im nor a mechanic but over years ive had to do some mechanical stuff on some ov my motors so now im becoming mechanicly minded with my mk4 lol it does seem a bit ova drag to know youve gota go fix sumit on ya car but the end result could be satisfying & rewarding knowing youve done it yourself. I think for me its the cost ov parts that puts me off coz lack ov coin hence another reason to try doing the work yaself with a lil help n input frm others coz garages charge loadz dont they!? If you need help with bits that need 2 bodies to do it pm me ok all ill charge is a few cuppa's [:D] obviously you work so i spect evenings are better for you? Cheerz Paul. I mite even know you as you live in ashford ?

fasteddie likes this.
  4. bruders8146 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Kent

Thanks mate means a lot.

I work at spiral cycles in town mate just pop in ask for me when ever your about.

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

You'll fix it Lewis, trust me :thumbup:

It would be a shame to break that car, as it's a well known PVW feature car. I noticed it straight away.

Wish you were closer as I could of popped round to have a look.

Just keep on at it and you'll soon have it back up and running. There is a lot of car there, would be a shame to break it over a little fault. Just keep us posted ;)

6. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Richard I have fitted a fair few of these engines and once set up give no problems,,,, These engines are not old either
    mine never missed a beat and I drove the life out of it.
    I think you can see from reading the links and the car having the same problems again not one week after its sold ...its not good
    but if everything is on the up and up it will be an easy fix if not he was sold a lemon
    I hop its an easy fix mate :thumbup:

7. G28OPN Forum Member

Your not causing any problems. We just feel for you mate. Its a sh/t position to be in. Id just keep it and get it sorted. Do as much of it as you can yourself. Theres plenty of help around mate. Remember, He who laughs last, laughs the loudest. Stick with it.

fasteddie likes this.
  8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

5k golf I would be taking it back to him if its not an easy fix ;)

You're not causing problems
    The guy came on here to sell it you bought it of the strength of the replies on your wanted topic

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  9. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

This is what we are about mate in this Club :thumbup:

G28OPN likes this.
  10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I hope so :)

I've fitted 3 x 1.8T in my Mk2, and all have given me grief.

* AGU dropped 5 valves and blew the turbo
    * AUM cylinder head had leaking water ways
    * Second AUM cylinder head had two bent valves

And these were all working engines I had heard running and purchased from friends. ;)

Unless you completely rebuild the engine yourself for piece of mind or happen to have a good one, you never know what's around the corner.

My AGU was fine. Drove for a year no problems, went to Inters in Leicester, attended all local and regional meets, Sunday blasts, then bang as I was driving home !!

11. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

If it's terminal it really isn't a big job to put another motor in! Weekends work! Keep your hopes up ;)

G28OPN likes this.
  12. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I've got an 99 A3 sport coming soon which I will be breaking if it comes to it!

13. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Richard I understand you put him onto this car.
    I know from your input on this forum you would not have known of any faults/if any ..we don't know yet,
    but you can see from reading the links and what has transpired from it was sold in such a short time it does not look well.
    Hopefully this will be sorted and bruders won't be out of pocket ...5 grand golf should have been perfect.

14. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Richard it sounds more like bad driving rather than bad luck lol

15. G28OPN Forum Member

And this option would cost far less than what you would lose by breaking it and selling it in parts. :thumbup:

16. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

If it cost you 5K Mick and it turned to crap in less than a week through no fault of yours and you read the links in this topic would you take it on the chin ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  17. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Def not [:x]

I'm referring to Richard keep boshing his motors [eek][eek][eek][eek][eek]

Feel for both guys as I fried something in my motor at donnington :cry:

fasteddie likes this.
  18. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Not good mate ...... Donnington looked fun ... Spin on the video looked mad :thumbup:

Wee 16v should be handy to sort ;)

As for Richard he just needs to get it sorted right then it will be fine..... maybe bring the bbs down to 7" ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  19. ragitaround Forum Member

No worries m8 ill pop up n intruduce maaself . Lewis isnt it?

20. G_Whizz Forum Member

Rich, thanks for bringing this thread to my attention.

I have text lewis 3 times over the last fortnight to ask how the car was going and never had a reply from him!

Lewis asked me to drive the car to him for an inspection which i did and it ran fine, there and back. Unfortunately, with 20+ year old cars which have been heavily modified, problems do occur. No one here knows if the problem is small or large. I had a problem which I did report on here and ask for help with, it turned out it was a broken clip on the loom, which meant cylinder no 3 sometimes wasnt connected owing to a loose connection from the loom to the coil pack, which i made lewis aware of. Thanks fasteddie for doing your homework!

The car was sold in good faith and all defects were made aware to the buyer, before people want to start making accusations and adding there two pence its worth noting that the car has run fine in my ownership and lewis had it running fine for some time before this problem developed.

I have very little mechanical knowledge and would not be capable of polishing a turd for sale, as richard says, he knows the car well and even toyotec done some work on it for me and the car has never had any issues.

Unfortunately bad luck can bestow us all, had lewis not bought the car, it would have been me on here asking the same questions, he has not been sold a lemon and i do feel for him, so please, before you start making accusations and start some female sh@t ask yourself, did you check the car out before you bought it and is there a way of rectifying this cheaply?!

As mentioned on here, an engine swap (if necessary) isn't expensive or that time consuming and the shell, auxiliaries and all the modifications justify the price it was sold for.

No one has been hoodwinked here, the buyer himself isn't on a witch hunt and it's quite possible a case of bad luck or bad driving, although im inclined to think lewis has just been unlucky, as i would have been had i still owned the car.

It's a shame that someone who doesnt know the car or who has sold it is being so stupidly vocal...!

bruders8146 and Richard Mk2 like this.