Best donor for VR6 conversion into...mk2?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by GVK, Sep 16, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

[:D] Have you been reading that "racer's 100 best excuses" book? :lol:

2. GVK

I was suprised how well Claire's R32 went around the 'ring, but anyway that's got nothing to do with this thread :p

If I was to stay 16v would go 02A with a (another)Quaife/Peloquin diff, the 020 is a piece of pi55 to remove/fit, but I would rather not do it every few months.

Been talking of getting another 9A block to freshen up for when/if mine goes pop, it's the other option. If you look in the right places you can get some good internals for not that many dollars.
    Edited by: GVK

3. chrismc Forum Junkie

:lol: [:$] Ive had it on loan....

My top speed even with loads of negative camber was OK, so showed the power was there...

Pity the seat to steering wheel interface couldnt turn it into better times though.. [:s]

4. GVK

Ahh,well I'm not that bothered about straight line acceleration tests, but I was pleased your results made mine look 'ok':lol::lol:

I better go to work anyway, box out this afternoon then off to sunny Wales tomorrow to see Mart.

5. NormanCoal Forum Member

To put a little of my experience into this, the MK2 VR is more fun on the road and track than I have had in a valver. I have had more than a few MK2 valvers, and my preference as a road car would be the valver (just - I have never lived with a MK2 VR as a road car and mine definitely isnt that), but for track use the VR that I have slung together is a s h i t load more fun than I have ever had with a valver. I have driven several 190+ brake valvers on road and track and find them very good fun to drive, adjustable and rewarding to drive, but until I can jump from my VR to a similar powered valver at a trackday I cant make a proper comparison.

I do think that a comparison between my VR and a similar powered valver on track would be interesting as I dont think there would be a lot in it. If my car stays together long enough for this to happen either this year or next then I'm game :)
    (the possibility of it not being together is that the shell is Fecked, it was a 140 shed from a scrapper, and was that price for a reason!!! [xx(] )

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Sorry ROBT, yes you did run a quicker time at Curborough, but yours is a dedicated track car, mine wasn't and never has been, plus that was my corrado not my golf, and it has a full leather interior and no rear anti roll bar. Christ, I've never even had a geometry setup....ever!

and you're isn't a mk2 golf so it doesn't count in this discussion ;)

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

well, it just sounded better at the time!

(just like a VR6 does ;) )

I'd love to see a fully track prepared and throttle bodied VR come and show you all they way home. Most of the VR6's I've seen tracked have been practically standard engines. The amount of work you 16v boys have to do to your cars to make up for the lack of torque is just beyond belief ;)

I always thought Barny's car was supposed to be quick? didn't see him beat me at Curborough.

Just you wait until my mk2 is back on the road and you will see what a tuned VR6 is really capable of. :p

9. GVK

Achtung!
    Calling Chris Eyre...

Calling Chris Eyre...

Extension for the ego pen required :lol:

It's all horses for courses isn't it, some like the Valvers,some like the VR6..

10. matt d Forum Member

Ianb used to be a VR6 lover before he bought his valver. Not in a mk2 though but but i wonder what he thinks of all this.
    I think a VR6 conversion is gonna cost more than you expect by the time all the little bits and peices are done.

11. VR6Will Forum Member

My vr conversion didnt cost as much as i thought it would, and that was with a set of samco hoses, and a bmc cda filter, and a small rebuild. Including the cost of the engine i reckon i spent just over 1k.

12. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

gary, wot you really need is a BIGGGG turbo and 20v`s, something that`s so reliable like mine it`ll take all the battering you throw at it [:D]

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

Paul, just to add something to what you have put up there, sprinting is down to the person driving just as much as the car is, technically B's car is (or was I shoudl say) an equal to what your poobox racer was, but we never saw you at a 'proper' circuit such as donnington now did we?
    I know you have done it this year in the rado and conquered all! before you mention it....... I would have been there but I didnt have a 5th gear at the time

Oh, and yours wont be the only MK2 VR coming out of the garage next year....

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

no, because i got banned and had to sell the car.

only one car passed me at donnington in the corrado, and that was that jabba kit car thing.

didn't see many 16v bothering me that day did you?

not bigging myself up at all, just don't see why you people keep banging on about highly tuned 16v's being quick when they repeatedely get beat by practically standard vr6's.

If you rememebr, I also went around Mallory as a passenger in a supercharged VR6. I thought it was pretty sluggish, and the guy wasn't even driving it hard, he was barely braking for any of the bends, and he dicked everything on the session.

I also remember Nick in his mk2 VR6 walkin all over just about every car on his sessions at donnington last year.

Need I mention motorheads corrado again? virtually standard, blitzed just about everyone at every track day I've ever seen it on.

How people can still sl*g the VR6 off as a non track car I don't know.

15. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

and another one. Ken Lark's VW Cup Corrado.....ballistic.

16. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

17. chrismc Forum Junkie

I think half the problem is the lack of tweaked VRs that go on track days.... [:^(] They seem to be relatively unloved for whatever reason IMO

Those I have come up against (Rado or mk3 golf) havent posed a real threat...but then a 200BHP valver should go well :)

Having said that I was held up at Combe by a particularly swift Rado VR that had more squirt out of the slow stuff than me, but never caught up with him to find out the spec..seemed a good one though! Got by him & an RS4 after a short while though ;)

In all honesty a mk2 VR should go well, no need to big it up. 180+BHP with maybe 180+lbs/ft of torque should make a mk2 VERY quick. Would be interested to see the comparison on track of a 200BHP VR mk2 compared to a 16v with similar power though....

18. ianb Forum Member

What a :lol: :lol: :lol: all this banter is !!

I remember my Club VR6 days [:$]

But my valver has now gone [:^(] but I'm smitten with 20v power...power and torque [:D]

Phat VR6...don't throw the teddy M8..I had one of the quickest VR6's around.........lovely cruiser...not too shabby around Coombe until Bill kept hammering around in his 2 litre Jetta. My VR was well sorted believe me but Bill just kept on passing me in the booty dub.Frustrating it was.

Then I saw the light and went valver power.

We all know putting a heavy lump at an angle over the front wheels ain't gonna work.....look at the VR6 Vento's raced in the VW Cup...all custom springs with huge poundage never to be used as a road car.......even then I could beat a VR6 Vento's lap time at Coombe as did Bill in the Jetta.
    I do however like other qualities of the VR6 unit but tunable it ain't...unless you S'charge it.....which can be unreliable as a few of members found out via Nick Saran Racing and the Vortech charger.

GVK

Best bet Gary next time for me will be a proper 1.8 valver with diff and plenty of revs........saves gearboxes and can be just as quick for track hence I was looking at Honda.I've now stuck with 20v and I'm developing my 20V over the winter ready for Donnington and the Ring next year :)

Ian

19. GVK

Is everyone skimming over the post where I state I drove a mk2 VR6 for 20minutes around TRACK (OK,It wasn't Castle Combe so probably doesn't count) and it drove and handled just fine, no issues with the front-heavyness [:s] that this conversion is meant to have, it was adjustable on the throttle and everything [:D] AND it had a cheap nasty set of coilovers on it!

PS - That perhaps might seem an arsy post, but I have been up since 4:30 driving home from Worcester :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

20. GVK

LOL - I believe that car stands him at 80k or more?