Best donor for VR6 conversion into...mk2?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by GVK, Sep 16, 2005.

1. NormanCoal Forum Member

I know why we never saw you on track, its just the way it happened....unfortunate, but the way it was

As for other VW's at the donny day this year, couldnt tell you, I wasnt there....

I was assume that a modded VR, ie charged, should put out 250 ish brake and a similar increase in torque, so in all honesty it should be quicked than any of the 16v's that were out there. Ask IanB about the VR van that was there that day and ask him if it was quicker or not

As for Nick's VR, yes it is quick, but he wasn't in the same group as 90% of the other VW's that day, he was in beginner, the others being in intermediate.

As for Daz's corrado, yes it was a bloody good track car.

Dont get me wrong, I would have my VR over the 16v's I've had on track before, but there hasnt been the comparison on track that you seem to think. I dont think that there is the night and day difference that you seem to think

2. dub shack New Member

Vento cup cars....

We own 'len simpsons' old vento cup car and next year were going to do a few track day if we can. The only problem i think that were going to have will be with the exhaust note,to say its loud is a serious under statement.

Hopefuly it will be ok and well see you guys next year :p.

3. damogti Forum Junkie

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Hehe! Funny! :lol:

Wont find a VR6 in the front of my car! EVER! Really mess things up. Hehe! :lol:

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

LMAO :lol: :lol:

This joke will run and run

Planning permission has just been submitted for an extended ego pen, incorporating a special section for the 'post-lager' incumbents. Boxing gloves will be supplied :lol: :lol:

6. ianb Forum Member

Dave Brodie from BBR is selling his VR6 Vento cup car..that's a well sorted package !

Ian

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Ahh mr Eyre, I have a nice pic lined up here for you :lol:

Nice sig BTW :lol:

8. GVK

Ahh, that saved me typing that.
    :lol:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Uh oh.

<Mr Eyre quaking>

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

Nice sig Mr Eyre

(plasma cutter is arrives today, ;) :p [:D] )

11. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Ah, fame at last, but I better add, before he reads it, that its not my VR its a mates (Rigs) who I built it for.....and then promtly blew up. [:$]

As Chris P said earlier, baffled sumps are a must with a vr6 track car IMHO....otherwise you spin all 6 of the big ends :lol: [:$] That is when things get expensive with VR's......full engine rebuilds.

The only reason I went VR was cos of the myths behind them not handling and I wanted to prove people wrong. They handle as well as the person building it sets it up. I suffer from a touch of understeer exiting corners but I need to learn aabout and start playing with suspension settings more than anything. It certainly has enough grip on turn in. And on a track like Donny the torque pulled it up the hills like they weren't there and it was a trill to drive. Can't wait to fix it and give the nurburgring a good go.

Ok, yes I was in the Beginners group, due to my inexpirence of track days, but in that group were Pug TB'd 205 mi16's and Nova 16v on TB's which have the same if not more power than MK2 16v's and less weight and with out bigging myself up too, they were in reverse. In fact in one session ( that I have a vid of) I pass a dyno'd 160bhp pug 106 rallye twice that had a driver and the driver of that had more track expirence than me. Not a totally fair comparison I know, but I can only compare to the cars I've been up against. I was told that MI16's were awesome on track, the way I caught and passed them it was like they were nothing special.

The engine is standard bar, 2.9 inlet and TB, 268 cams and AMD chip and a 3.9 final drive.
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

12. GVK

You had a good tutor in the first session, that's all it was Nick,feck all to do with the VR ;) :lol:

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

you may not need a baffled sump just keep it a wee bit over the max mark to keep things sweet, youll be amazed at the number of people who run on track days with them low down the stick and that will kill your VR every time. Mine ran on all sorts of tyres inc slicks without a problems, oil and filter change every 3k with Synta silver, and it got the same amount of abuse on the road (occasionally with full slicks [:$] [:$] ) as it had on the track..80ks of it :lol:

14. Peter Forum Member

I say go for it you can flog all your 16 valve bits for a good price, people go mad for 9A's these days even if it needs a rebuild, you should get a good price for the head and Quaife too :thumbup: You could get a similar output fom the 16 valve but it wont have the torque and I suspect the fuel consumption wouldnt be much different between the two plus youve got turn key reliability with the VR, you have got to look at what you use the car most for, a high output 16valve may or (may not :lol: )be quicker round a track but its always a comprimise between performance and comfort if you use the car everday, the VR6 sounds ideal as its got the power and torque for the track but also its not highly strung and would be a much more civilised drive on the road and generally easier to live with than a 16 valve engined Golf with similar staright line performance

pete
    Edited by: Peter

15. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

For the price I can get a good Baffled sump (made at the same spec as the VW cup racers) I don't think its worth not having one TBH. I'd rather be safe than sorry after just getting new big ends, mains, rings etc for the new engine [:D] Although, yes, keeping an eye on teh oil level is a good idea. When I got it back to the pits it was showing about 3/4's the way up the dip stick mark. So it had lost some, but not alot.....Maybe I'll keep a closer eye on that as well next time.

Out of interest, what Oil temps were you seeing on yours?

:lol: :lol:

oh yeah that must be it! That session with you was the only session I've ever been over taken in..... [:D]
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

16. prof Forum Addict

for a bit more initial expenditure a 24v vr6 would offer a load more potential, 800gallons/Daz/Phatty/ all can tell you how to wire it all in. in for a penny..........

and at last an interesting thread to read, with no mention of this weeks latest clique

17. GVK

Paul thinks I should fit the 24v motor he has there, he knows a guy that can build a loom more or less plug n play.

Hmmm. :p

I think I would stick with a 12v if I were to do it, for the relative simplicity of it.
    Edited by: GVK

18. GVK

That sounds pretty much spot on Peter :)

19. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Well to pitch in my 2 pennies worth... I don't know!

Our mk2 VR absolutely flies but we haven't gone head to head with a decent valver as we've been messing about in the novice groups (not for long though!)

I'm (and probably Nick to) perfectly happy to admit I'm a complete novice to proper track driving but the amount of genuinely quick cars that were running around in the beginner group that we wondered past with ease was just funny. In the right hands I can't see a decent mk2 VR being beaten by a valver with a similar level tune.
    I managed a 14.39 third ever run at a moist santa pod with knackered pooey cheapo tyres, suspension in the "as it came out the box" configuration anda car full of stuff... The pace of mk2 VRs is undenyable.

Hopefully she'll be attending some more days in the not so distant future :)

(Personally I just love the sound! [:D])
    Edited by: Rigs

20. prof Forum Addict

My usual random drivel from a me who's mk2 hasn't had an engine in for 3 years so wtf do i know.

wiring in a 12v is quite a bit easier, Deako showed us that one, but you'll only want to mess with it, give the head to the man in a shed, spend 400 on a shrick manifold etc... Spend more now and fit the 24v, must outflow the old 12v over 4k by miles. And if you did go for something like MBE management then it would allow for future nutter upgrades once you get used to it.

Daz fitted the 24v in the banana before he sold it to Ian Cox didn't he?

If Phatty has a spare...... [}:)] and i'm sure that Chrisp and 800 gallons have loads of top ideas of how to get it going and handling fantastically